Eco friendly oil container

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
So why is this ETCG oil change video so special? Just the container that the oil comes in just makes sense. The plastic jugs we're so familiar with are not recyclable and wind up in the landfill. The cardboard is recyclable and the plastic bag inside is much smaller. I can see this becoming the norm.

And no, I'm not a tree hugger but when a better option is available at a reasonable price that can help make things better, I tend to choose that option :smile:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I always thought it odd the jugs have the recycle symbol stamped in the plastic but them you can't actually do it 🤔

Pygot

Dec 6, 2019
RI
I hope that the germans do this soon, so I can buy my Liqui-Moli like this! Considering they started making biodegradable cars (I'm looking at you BMW), why not the other car essentials?

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Oil containers are very much recyclable. Just no one does it. Making plastic is something to the tune of 45-75% more environmentally sound than cardboard too. (Observing energy required to produce, plastic overall while it doesn't go away is actually still the best thing for the environment, plus it can be recycled almost indefinetly un like all its alternatives...) Go figure. Pretty cool though. But reality is reality. Just like with plastic bags. :hopeless:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Yeah I have heard something about how recycling paper and cardboard really is not as "green" as you might think. I think it has to do with how much energy it takes to clean it up vs just letting it decompose and using a sustainable source for new paper/cardboard. But I'm not sure on that.

Reactions: Redbeard and Pygot

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Not in my city. They say to toss oil containers in the thrash. Some places do, some don't.
That's dumb. Its equal to a milk container. It is quite literally one of the most recycable plastic types there is. Very strange.

Reactions: Pygot

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Maybe because they're "contaminated" with oil?

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Maybe. The cleaning bath they enter when they're dropped off takes care of that but depending on the plant design that may not be stage 1. In which case then maybe. The one contract I have just incinerated it and then uses it for things I can't legally talk about but is good as far as repurposing materials like that. Granted thats all recycling materials they do that too.

Reactions: Pygot

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
We had a small experimental plasma incinerator that produced electricity and the sludge that was left used for things like paving. But it was mismanaged and/or it didn't live up to its promises and was shut down. They were called Plasco.

I know recycling isn't the paradise it promises. Lots of stories of the same recycling trucks dumping their loads at the same dumps as the garbage due to nobody wanting it or being shipped overseas to be plain burned. We had our own controversy where containers of our recycled plastics wound up in other countries that wound up shipping it back to us.

Reactions: Redbeard

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
A lot of U S recycling is like that. Cheaper to ship it than get around regulaton. And as for what I'm doinb... highly experimental and I just can't say if you are in the right field. :thumbsup:

Reactions: Mooseman

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
The 3.6 liter V6 in my Canyon takes 6 qts so this would be perfect for me. And at $20 for a 6 qt box , a pretty good price. I'll have to look into the oil quality.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
The 3.6 liter V6 in my Canyon takes 6 qts so this would be perfect for me. And at $20 for a 6 qt box , a pretty good price. I'll have to look into the oil quality.
The full syn has the dexos stamp so I think you're GTG.

Reactions: Wooluf1952
Feb 6, 2020
Florida
So why is this ETCG oil change video so special? Just the container that the oil comes in just makes sense. The plastic jugs we're so familiar with are not recyclable and wind up in the landfill. The cardboard is recyclable and the plastic bag inside is much smaller. I can see this becoming the norm.

And no, I'm not a tree hugger but when a better option is available at a reasonable price that can help make things better, I tend to choose that option :smile:
Have try it when pennzoil starts making it like that.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online