easier to change motor mounts with struts out?

redbandit98

Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
I know this is kind of a "well just quit being lazy and do it thing" but Ill ask anyways. I am getting ready to replace the struts on my 4wd envoy. I also have a set of motor mounts I need to install. I have the "quick" struts so installing them will take no time flat. I really dont feel like doing the mounts right now as its pretty hot out and they are not in dire straits. (just getting some vibes at idle). The struts, however, are beyond shot. I plan on doing them this weekend. I guess what Im asking is for those who have changed the mounts: Would it be signifcantly easier to do with the struts out, or will it not make a hill of beans? If it realy doesnt matter, Ill wait to do them. If it seems that would make it tons easier, Ill go ahead and throw them in. I honeslty havent looked at it that close yet. Also I see lots of people grinding down the studs on them. IF this will make it easier I would like to do it on the bench rather than waiting till Im nasty and angry. How much can I safely cut off? Ive read about 1/4".

thanks
MG

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
They are easier to change if your CV shafts are out, because then you can jack up the engine farther. Not much difference if the struts are out.

Look at your existing mounts and how much stud is protruding beyond the nut. That's the safe amount you can grind off the new ones.

redbandit98

Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
well I may just yank the cv axles out. I wish I would have had the mounts when I changed the CV axles the first time. :no: I thought about it, as everything was out, but I wasnt prepared to pay the 110 per mount the dealer wanted.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.