E15 gasoline - has anyone run it?

TequilaWarrior

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Central Pennsylvania
Yesterday, I noticed our local gas stations have started to carry e15 at a lower price than even "regular" 87.
I've seen conflicting information on running e15, mostly from industry groups arguing back and forth about whether it harms engines.
So, my question is this: Has anyone run e15? Were there any ill-effects? Did it help or hurt your gas mileage?

Redbeard

Jan 26, 2013
I haven't tried it in the '04 trailblazer. My 2010 ram pick up is designed to run on it and last year for the first time it went into my tank. My mileage dropped almost 10% and there was ever so slight less engine power. At 10 or 20 cents more per gallon (in my neck of the woods), less mpg, and almost unnoticeable difference in power I just don't see the advantage. I did feel grateful that the station carried it when I did use it because most stations at the time were empty of any fuel in my area. Yet I did wonder how old the fuel might have been, but no bad consequences from it.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It has been proven that ethanol has less energy per gallon therefore it's normal to see a drop in MPG and power with more of it, all else being equal. Although it is used in race and high performance vehicles, it is less prone to detonation and allows for higher compression and boost.

Before E10 was mandatory here, I did a test between E0 and E10 and I did lose 1-2 MPG.

As far as E15 is concerned, there was a lot of hoopla from the marine industry that it would destroy engines and have an increase of water separation in the tank. This is why they also advocated against using Ethanol at all. I saw my old two stroke sleds start burning pistons because of it. I use only premium in my 4 stroke sleds to avoid it even though they can run on regular with E10. (here, most premium fuels don't have ethanol except Petro-Canada that uses it to boost octane)

Ethanol is just bad. It may make the tree huggers feel better but we basically have to burn more fuel in our vehicles to get the same amount of work. Also have to burn fuel to make it.

:rant:

Reactions: Wooluf1952

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Ethanol is just plain shit. It has destroyed the carbs in 2 of my ATV's, and both my sleds.

Luckily I found a gas station local that has ethanol free gas near me.

For my cars, I find the power is smoother and fuel mileage is better with the ethanol free. but at a 20% increase in price its not worth it in my cars. Regular gas last night was 2.41 and ethanol free was 2.74.

The amazing part is that the Ethanol free gas is available at my local Wal-Mart only. Its the only thing I do buy from them when I do buy it.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Corn is food not fuel. I avoid any ethanol if possible. I definitely would not try to add more corn for a few cents off the pump price when it eliminates its own savings with mpg losses.

TequilaWarrior

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Central Pennsylvania
The general consensus seems to be "we prefer not" on the ethanol question - however, it seems that there are no direct experiences in these platforms being conveyed.

Sure, it doesn't make financial sense to run it - but ~CAN~ we run it?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I have ran it in an old 4.3 and a 5.3 without any issues. Never had anything harmed but my MPG on trips to family out in Omaha, but I am not sure if it would have harmed anything long term.

Reactions: TequilaWarrior

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Supposedly, cars from 2000-forward can run E15 without harm, per US EPA (but some mfgs still advise against it, even with their new products. I know Honda does.) EPA may actually go farther back than 2000 for compatibility; I forget, TBH.

I always choose E10 over E15, myself. Unless I've traveled somewhere that actually carries 100% gasoline, and then I'll get that, and see an almost immediate improvement in MPG. As Moose alluded to earlier, one thing ethanol *does* do is raise octane, although it doesn't have the same energy output as gasoline. (Nothing does, btw - gasoline contains more energy per gallon than any other fuel.)

For our GM trucks, 'flex-fuel' mostly means two things - injectors with a variable rate, and two fuel maps in the ECM. If those two things are accounted for, via replacement injectors and a tune, then most of us could make our trucks E85-capable. Limequat turned it on for me when I sent the old Sierra's PCM to him. When the PCM detects the change in fuel type, it changes the flow rate on the injectors within a few miles (increases for E85, decreases back when E0-E10 is put back into the tank). The other variable is rubber components - ethanol is hard on rubber. But if it's not part of the fuel delivery system, there's not much else to worry about.

Corn ethanol (what we use here in the US) is 'energy negative' -- it takes more energy to make it, than is produced from it. But midwestern farmers like it (and a sh!t ton of infrastructure was built to make it), so we continue to use it. At least for the next several years, while the fleet converts to ZEV.

In Brazil, they make ethanol from sugarcane, which isn't as energy intensive, and doesn't rob a feedstock (most corn grown in the US goes to feed livestock, not people). A bit more difficult to grow sugarcane here (and it may soon be more difficult to grow corn, as well - the areas that have historically grown it have been getting pelted with excess rain the last couple of years, which affects both planting date and yield.)

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
A reference point I have made with a few people over the ethanol issues is that in my 01 Trans Am(the LS1 calls for high test fuel), if I run 87 Octane 100% gas vs the 93 octane E10, I can't tell a difference. If I run the 100% gas in 92/93 Octane, the car loves it and feels like it performs better and gets better MPG.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bobby2175