E-fan question and clearances

GotAir?

Original poster
Jan 7, 2012
How many of you guys with the I-6 are running elec fans? Which fans did you use and how much clearance do you have? I have a single elec fan now and only 1/8in clearance to my crank pully, its not pulling enuff air across my condenser for my a/c to work good at a stop. I figured i'd ask what fan kits you guys are running, and how much clearance you guys have to the diff parts of the engine, my engine is mounted closer to the radiator than factory so i know clearance may be an issue. I was looking into possibly running a vette c6 fan, i also have a buddy that has 2 LS1 fans out of a camaro. Those are possibilities i may run also, depending in your guys input.

thanx in advance for the input! :thumbsup:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I haven't started the install yet but I'm going to be using dual fans from a Venture minivan like Mooseman did to cover as much radiator surface area as possible. They are a little larger than my Camaro's fans are. Looks like it will still give me some decent clearance in front of the engine as well.

GotAir?

Original poster
Jan 7, 2012
Sparky said:
I haven't started the install yet but I'm going to be using dual fans from a Venture minivan like Mooseman did to cover as much radiator surface area as possible. They are a little larger than my Camaro's fans are. Looks like it will still give me some decent clearance in front of the engine as well.

Thanx, i'm getting ready to post a few pics of what i currently have, i just went out in the garage, gotta throw the pics on the computer then upload em. Gimme 5, lol

GotAir?

Original poster
Jan 7, 2012
Here's the clearance i currently have :quiverlips::helpme: (don't mind the dirty engine compartment......drove from michigan to mississippi and back and got caught in the rain......and havn't cleaned it yet :lipsrsealed:)
qxqtdu.jpg

33l2wyq.jpg

1zcohnb.jpg

24vl6bk.jpg

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Wow that looks really tight, for some reason it looks tighter than normal :confused: How did the original clutch even fit in there? Maybe it is just the camera... weird.

These are the fans I got. 30-ish bucks shipped to my door, can't beat that. Yeah, they're dirty. But on that note your engine bay isn't that dirty, you should see mine! Though I'm sure Roadie or Hardtrailz have dirtier ones :crackup:

View attachment 21182

Attachments

• efans.jpg
    efans.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 17

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
his truck has a custom tube frame so the motor mount locations are moved forward

i think you'd be better off running dual fans like the fbody fans because you'll have some extra space in the middle since the motors will be on the left and right of the pump pulley.

you can find a set at a junk yard easy enough, worth a shot to test fit them

marshall@pcm

Dec 6, 2011
GotAir? said:
Here's the clearance i currently have :quiverlips::helpme: (don't mind the dirty engine compartment......drove from michigan to mississippi and back and got caught in the rain......and havn't cleaned it yet :lipsrsealed:)
http://i46.tinypic.com/qxqtdu.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i46.tinypic.com/33l2wyq.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i47.tinypic.com/1zcohnb.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/24vl6bk.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

What dirt?!?! That looks like a brand new vehicle!!

GotAir?

Original poster
Jan 7, 2012
jimmyjam said:
his truck has a custom tube frame so the motor mount locations are moved forward

i think you'd be better off running dual fans like the fbody fans because you'll have some extra space in the middle since the motors will be on the left and right of the pump pulley.

you can find a set at a junk yard easy enough, worth a shot to test fit them

Thats what i was thinkin, i got a buddy with a set lyin around, imma try and c if i can get em this weekend and do some test fitting, plus i think those might have the motor more flush and in the middle of the fans (kinda like the pic of the venture van fans above, the motor on my current fan sticks out a good inch.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

GotAir?

Original poster
Jan 7, 2012
Mooseman said:
Here's a link to the thread on my efan setup.
http://gmtnation.com/f24/my-electric-fan-setup-montana-venture-efans-2425/

Yeah, yours is crazy tight in there and that single fan is definitely not enough unless it's one of those crazy high velocity SPAL fans. These are a lot better. I have so far had zero issues as far as the cooling ability of these fans.

Thanx! U got a measurement of how deep those fans are? And do u have any problems keeping cold A/C at a stop while idling?

TXBlazer

Nov 21, 2011
Cypress, TEXAS USA
I have a set of the LT1 fans for TX Big G's truck sitting in our garage and I just measured them. If you cut the forward facing lip off of the fan shroud so it sits flush with the Rad, the center of the fans is 3" from shroud to back of fans, the motors are 13" center to center if you are looking down at them sitting against the rad. and the farthest the fan motors stick out away from the rad is 5"

GotAir?

Original poster
Jan 7, 2012
TXBlazer said:
I have a set of the LT1 fans for TX Big G's truck sitting in our garage and I just measured them. If you cut the forward facing lip off of the fan shroud so it sits flush with the Rad, the center of the fans is 3" from shroud to back of fans, the motors are 13" center to center if you are looking down at them sitting against the rad. and the farthest the fan motors stick out away from the rad is 5"

Thats a huge help! Thanx, ill get out in the garage this weekend and get to measuring, thats exactly what i was lookin for, thank you

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The Montana/Venture fan's top shroud is about 3 1/4" out and the motors stick out another 3/4" for a total of about 4". If clearance with the water pump pulley is a problem, you can trim the shrouds in the middle without affecting the fans.

AtlWrk

Dec 6, 2011
Ace1875 said:
PCM4less. Plz excuse my super duper clean engine bay. :raspberry:

What did you do the water pump threads after removing the clutch? Mine rusted up like crazy in just a few days. Nothing a wire brush won't clean up, just looks horrible.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.