E-brake stuck

Mirror

Original poster
Jan 27, 2014
Well i've been having some issues with my brakes recently, I'm pretty sure the front brake is partially engaged. But today I tried my e-brake and I can't get the handle to budge. I know it worked when I bought the vehicle just over a year ago and tested it a couple times since, but now it's stuck. Luckily in the down position, could it just be frozen?

Reactions: BlazingTrails

Mirror

Original poster
Jan 27, 2014
i will be putting it in a heated garage friday night and working on my driver side saturday, will check ebrake again to see if it was frozen. Still need to figure out why my front brakes are locking up

Mirror

Original poster
Jan 27, 2014
Well the back has calipers to. My front brakes we think are the hoses have blockages in them.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Rear calipers are not involved for parking brake since it is a drum-in-hat system. Lots of places where it could be seized, most common are the two parts that push on the shoes as per arrows in this pic. They should move freely:

View attachment 67667

Then the cables and then the lever itself, which is not likely.

For the fronts, rarely have the hoses become blocked except when oil was added instead of brake fluid. Check the calipers, especially the guide pins, which are the usual suspects when they seize up. Check the rears while you're there too.

Reactions: Mounce

Mirror

Original poster
Jan 27, 2014
So I found one problem with my ebrak, the cable on the drivers side, just before the line goes towards the caliper has snapped. How do i disengage the the parking brake automtic adjuster (or is this the main handle?)
Also how do i remove the cable from the parking brake equalizer?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
With no cable pulling on it, it should be disengaged. It does not have an automatic adjuster like regular hydraulic drum brakes and you can't get to the star wheel adjuster from behind. More than likely, a ridge has formed on the outer edge of the parking brake drum, either from wear or rust. You'll have to force it off, either with a large puller or a hammer. You might need new bottom clips and possibly shoes after this.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If it's too tight to pull it off the equalizer, there is a cable tensioner in the brake lever. Put the passenger seat as far back as possible. Pull the brake lever cover up to expose the mechanism. A the front bottom, you should see a small metal lever, push on it and it will release the tension on the cable. This post has a picture of it as well as instructions on how to adjust the brake.

Mirror

Original poster
Jan 27, 2014
I give up. I found that lever. Alls it did was allow me to actually pull the handle up when i lifted that lever.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It should have allowed the cable from the lever to the equalizer to loosen, or find a way to hold it and then pull on the equalizer from underneath.

Mirror

Original poster
Jan 27, 2014
Could try that, but what i dont get is. How come i can only lift the handle when i lift that little lever up? Once up i can push the button and lower the handle just fine

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Maybe the cables are jammed or rusted solid. If that's the case, you might need to cut both rear cables at the equalizer and replace them. Check the cable from the lever to the equalizer as I had mine in my '06 break at the equalizer from rust.

Reactions: kickass audio

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online