NEED HELP E-Brake Adjustment

TB4.2

Original poster
Nov 20, 2015
UnitedStates
I got this truck 2 months ago, I started to do the minor tuneups myself, But when it comes to the rear wheels disc brakes adjustment I know nothing about it, except for drum brakes adjustment.
My problem is the PB isn't holding the car when I put it in drive(Idle speed) or up on a small hill, it starts to roll and squeak. I changed all 4 wheels brake pads and when I pull the E-brake it feels loose.

A friend told me that there is another brake pad inside the rear wheel disc for the E-Brake?
Anybody had this problem, it's really hurting my Transmission in P? help would be appreciated.

Btw I found this site by @MAY03LT videos, He helped me a lot. Thanks man.

And yeah BTW it's a 2006 TB 4.2 RWD

Last edited by a moderator:

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
The parking brakes are shoes inside of the rear disc. There should be an adjustment under the e-brake handle, IIRC.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
That is correct. And I also discovered that one of the shoes must be installed "backwards". On the shoes, there is a lining that is shorter than the other. One side must have the short lining facing forward and the other side must face backwards.

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
That is correct. And I also discovered that one of the shoes must be installed "backwards". On the shoes, there is a lining that is shorter than the other. One side must have the short lining facing forward and the other side must face backwards.
They do? Oh lord, what did I do wrong now! I just installed new shoes last month. I didn't see any difference right or left.
s-l1600.jpg

By the way, I didn't need to replace the shoes as they weren't badly worn. I got a whole kit because I could hear a tinkering/clunking noise coming from the inside of the shoe on one said when I backed up. It turned out to be shoes that had NEVER been adjusted and they just fell right out of the adjusters.

So you can try the brake cable tightening trick under the park brake handle, but sooner or later, you may need to get the rear disks off the adjust the shoes properly.

When you are adjusting the cables, follow the instructions EXACTLY.

If you need to adjust the shoes themselves, what worked for me was to install all the new parts (I am anal that way) at the same time I did new rear rotors and pads. I then clicked the brake handle up two clicks and adjusted the shoes outward until they JUST started to drag on the inside of the new rotor. I then lowered the handle and installed the rear discs. They ended up being almost perfect, although one comes on slightly before the other when I tested it on a gravel road. Once I break them in a bit, I think I will fine tune one side next time I rotate the tires in the spring. It seems pretty anal and they are after all primarily a parking brake, but when adjusted properly, they actually DO act as an emergency brake and should slow the vehicle down in an emergency.

TB4.2

Original poster
Nov 20, 2015
UnitedStates
Thanks everyone for the replies, I think I know what are you talking about, it's like drum adjustment, I will look at it next weekend, but what about adjusting the cable at the handle? I pulled the rubber boot and there was a big gear and what looks like a release lever and some McDonald's fries, what should I do there, just a temporary fix until next weekend.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
The gear should be your adjustment. The fries should have left enough grease behind for you, I don't recommend eating them.

• Haha
Reactions: 808

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
That takes up the lack in the cable. Adjust that first, then the shoes, just like on regular drum brakes except you have to adjust, put disk/drum on, check for drag, pull, repeat until drag is felt. Pull handle and release, check again.

The shoe orientation I found out when I replaced my differential with one from an 08 which still had the original setup. I noticed one of the shoes was with the long shoe forward. On my TB, I always found that they never really held very well even though they were adjusted properly. Now it makes sense. Remembering one of my first drum brake jobs, I had installed the shoes backwards (long shoe in front) and they grabbed way too much. Hence, I used the phrase "short shoe forward" to help me remember when doing drum brakes. Used that when I did the PB on the TB. On the Saab with correct orientation, they work a lot better.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MEHMET ONUR

Members Online