DVD and/or Nav System

Jman423

Original poster
Administrator
Mar 24, 2014
United States
I am sort of in the market for a double-din Video or Nav unit for the SS. I just don't know which one to go with. I am a fan of Garmin, so I looked at the Kenwood units, but reviews say they are sluggish and restricted.

What do you have in your ride that isn't stock? What are your thoughts?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I would like to get one too so I will be following along.

I actually really like my buddy's double din Kenwood. The Nav seems really good and he has had for a few years without issue. It was in his escape and now his jeep with no ill effects from dirt or sun or wind from the 2 summers of top off driving.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
I have a Jenson 9224VM and it's really nice and almost looks stock.

2010-11-19_14-12-46_94.jpg

Joe D 04

Dec 5, 2011
I put a Pioneer in mine and love it. The only thing I regret is not doing it sooner! just know you'll need to buy an interface which is about $100 online or $125 in store. I bought a pioneer double din touch screen DVD with out navigation though... I have a tom tom that I never use so I know I wouldn't use one in the dash.

I'll be sure to take pictures and post them

Ericw259

Dec 6, 2011
I have the Kenwood DDX318 with the added navigation unit and i love it. Garmin did a great job. The only thing i would recomend would be to DNX 5180 because it has a few more features for around the same price after you add the navigation unit to the double din.

Dad-O-Matic

Dec 5, 2011
Jman423 said:
What do you have in your ride that isn't stock? What are your thoughts?

Of course it depends on your budget, but I have the JVC NT50HDT and I have no complaints. It's a newish product for JVC so they haven't offered map updates yet, but the installed version is only about a year old. I especially like the bluetooth and HD radio.

Amazon.com: KW-NT50HDT Automobile Audio/Video GPS Navigation System: Electronics

The sound output from this JVC unit I estimate is about 30% more than stock, and that's with the amp output set to low. I still have the stock Bose speakers and amp, and the sound is so clean I'll end up blowing my speakers and/or amp before long. A slightly cheaper option is the NT30HDT, same stereo without HD radio and live traffic updates.

plaen

Dec 4, 2011
Dad-O-Matic said:
Of course it depends on your budget, but I have the JVC NT50HDT and I have no complaints. It's a newish product for JVC so they haven't offered map updates yet, but the installed version is only about a year old. I especially like the bluetooth and HD radio.

Amazon.com: KW-NT50HDT Automobile Audio/Video GPS Navigation System: Electronics

The sound output from this JVC unit I estimate is about 30% more than stock, and that's with the amp output set to low. I still have the stock Bose speakers and amp, and the sound is so clean I'll end up blowing my speakers and/or amp before long. A slightly cheaper option is the NT30HDT, same stereo without HD radio and live traffic updates.

I have the Jvc kw-nt30hdt, I love it, the 50 is the next year model of it, it does have nav, dvd with outputs for a rear screen, back up camera, and it does have traffic and hd radio, the one without hdt on the end doesn't have traffic or hd. If you ground the parking brake wire, it will play dvds up front.

I agree with sound quality, with the exception of Bluetooth through my phone, it has a bit of noise to it. I also replaced the stock stuff, and added 2 subs with it. my only real complaint is it takes 15-30 seconds to read and start playing discs.

Dad-O-Matic

Dec 5, 2011
plaen said:
it does have traffic and hd radio

My mistake, I was looking at the NT3HDT for the wifes car and got them confused. The NT3 doesn't have bluetooth or live traffic I think.

with the exception of Bluetooth through my phone, it has a bit of noise to it.

Sorry to hear that, mine doesn't have that problem. People tell me they can't tell if I'm on my handset or hands free. Maybe my phone sucks. :biggrin:

plaen

Dec 4, 2011
Dad-O-Matic said:
My mistake, I was looking at the NT3HDT for the wifes car and got them confused. The NT3 doesn't have bluetooth or live traffic I think.

Sorry to hear that, mine doesn't have that problem. People tell me they can't tell if I'm on my handset or hands free. Maybe my phone sucks. :biggrin:

Your correct on the NT3.

The Bluetooth calling works excellent, the audio playback function from the phone is what I was talking about, It's only noticeable at higher volumes though. It could also be my phone as well, It's an htc evo 3d, and I don't have any other Bluetooth devices I use, so no idea. I just toss the files onto a 8gb SD card and toss it in and play off that.

Dad-O-Matic

Dec 5, 2011
plaen said:
The audio playback function from the phone is what I was talking about

:lightbulb: Now I get you. I haven't tried the bluetooth audio, I have all my favs on a jumpdrive and the sound on that is awesome:thumbsup:

Jman423

Original poster
Administrator
Mar 24, 2014
United States
So, after some research, I've narrowed down my choice to the Sony XNV-660BT with an adapter to maintain Onstar functionality. While I do have steering wheel controls (now), it wasn't stock, so I am not sure how/if that will work with the PAC adapter.

Anyway, the cost for this is $1,000 installed with the PAC adapter for Onstar. I'm seeing varying prices all over, but they don't seem to be consistent. I am not buying from eBay or some fly-by-night online retailer. I've been burned in the past, and I will spend the extra dollar to buy it and have it installed at an authorized dealer... maintaining my (Sony) warranty.

jham

Nov 20, 2011
Jman423 said:
So, after some research, I've narrowed down my choice to the Sony XNV-660BT with an adapter to maintain Onstar functionality. While I do have steering wheel controls (now), it wasn't stock, so I am not sure how/if that will work with the PAC adapter.

Anyway, the cost for this is $1,000 installed with the PAC adapter for Onstar. I'm seeing varying prices all over, but they don't seem to be consistent. I am not buying from eBay or some fly-by-night online retailer. I've been burned in the past, and I will spend the extra dollar to buy it and have it installed at an authorized dealer... maintaining my (Sony) warranty.

great choice that's the one I have been eyeing. :thumbsup:

Jman423

Original poster
Administrator
Mar 24, 2014
United States
I ended up with Clarion NX501 instead of the Sony unit. There were so/so reviews on all of the units I researched, so I picked the one that had better reviews on the things that were most important to me. GMOS-01 for OnStar/chime/RAP retention and soon I will add the steering wheel control adapter (my controls were added by me and didn't work with the stock stereo) and the backup camera, sooner or later I might have to add an HD Tuner too. Install was rough, mounting needed some "customization", but it looks and works good.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
awesome fitment...

on a side note.. im so jelly that your running your AC in January and im dealing with a snow storm and 20* weather right now :hissy: lol

Jman423

Original poster
Administrator
Mar 24, 2014
United States
Boricua SS said:
awesome fitment...

on a side note.. im so jelly that your running your AC in January and im dealing with a snow storm and 20* weather right now :hissy: lol

Thanks.

Trust me, I could use some snow. As a New Yorker, the holidays just don't feel like holidays when it is 80 degrees out.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Jman423 said:
Thanks.

Trust me, I could use some snow. As a New Yorker, the holidays just don't feel like holidays when it is 80 degrees out.

yea it was definetly weird for me this year.. sunny and 45* on christmas day in ohio is not normal!! so i know what you mean

LordBear

Dec 22, 2011
i got the pioneer 4200 a year or so ago with everything as an optional add on.... still trying to save up for the nav add on.. now u can get the same thing dirt cheap with the addons or the full all in ones for cheaper... just one year and the prices..outch....lol..

100_2403.jpg

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Jman423 said:
Next, I need speakers. Suggestions? Sizes?

could be a lot of mixed opinions there... i myself, went the components in each door route.. meaning a crossover, mid range, and tweeter in each door.. i have pix in my albums if you wanna check it out... and i used 6.5" in all four doors.. heres a link to what i used... Autotek ATX6.2C (ATX62C) 6-1/2" 2-Way ATX Component Speaker System ... ive had them for almost a year now and havent experienced any issues...

alot of people do the opposite of me.. they do components up front, but just put coaxial in the back...

Joe D 04

Dec 5, 2011
Jman423 said:
Next, I need speakers. Suggestions? Sizes?

All 4 doors are 6.5" and the dash claim to be 3.5" (even though I had to do some trimming to get mine to fit in the dash). I went with infinity, had them a little over 3 years and they still sound like new. They can get loud and stay clear. Best for the money in my opinion.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online