Dust Shields

Machoman

Original poster
Mar 10, 2014
[SIZE=medium]Has anyone had issues with their front dust shields rubbing? I have had mine at the dealer multiple times. All they do is bend them. One week later they are back to rubbing. What did you do to fix this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.[/SIZE]

Snailblazin'

Dec 9, 2011
Had this issue with both my rides and it's super annoying. Had luck bending the first set but the second set was sooo close to getting hacked to many tiny pieces on account of it being a total bitch.
If you have the gumption you could remove the axle nut, disassemble the brakes, remove the 3 wheel hub bearing bolts and pull the dust shield off and beat it straight. You could also pretend you're a blacksmith in the process, it's a win-win!

blck90vette

Apr 14, 2014
what does it sound like???...like tin rubbing & it comes and goes,,i~m having this same issue....

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Mine is currently rubbing on the driver side. However I only hear it when I turn. Going to try and bend em when I get a chance. Never had the issue until I did the lift and replaced the wheel hub.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I pitched mine.

Bluto4x

Jun 2, 2013
Took mine off to sand down and respray as no one offers replacement fronts. Been fine since. I was also replacing rotors and pads though.

mpd13078

Aug 1, 2014
I replaced my front and rears when I had to replace the front & rear wheel bearings. An ASE master mechanic told me that they provide a space tolerance & that not replacing them would shorten the life of your wheel bearings significantly.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
I'm no ASE tech but it sounds like he's just trying to make some money by selling product/doing the work...I don't believe that statement for a second. Maybe he was talking about a different vehicle where that statement is actually true though. But as we all know, the GMT360/370 platform is its own animal and has different quirks than other vehicles.

Btw, not trying to bash you, no offense to you meant. You can't help what he told you. And I could be totally wrong, what I said is just my opinion. :tiphat:

JerryIrons

Dec 20, 2011
Mine rusted up bad as well, I tried more than once bending them so they wouldn't rub anymore and invariably they would start rubbing again. I hate that fucking noise they make, it's embarrassing as hell. Got pissed off and pulled them off. I ordered in some new ones, I think from amazon and the next time I pull wheel bearings off I will put them on. They weren't all that expensive if I remember correctly.

May 5, 2013
Just hacked that crap off my truck when I heard the first scrape! Aint nobody got time for that!

mpd13078

Aug 1, 2014
I replaced all 4 of my dust shields when I had to change all 4 wheel bearings, perfect time and access to do so. The ASE master mechanic at my work said they provide a certain distance tolerance from the wheel bearing hub assembly to the axles on the front. As for the back, the distance from the rotor to the axle. If the dust shields aren't on, he said the life of all the wheel bearings all the way around would prematurely shorten.

As far as adjusting the existing, you'd have to remove them and flatten them on a flat surface & just keep test fitting them. A lot of work to do if you're not replacing them. Either keep bending them with a pry bar or screw driver or cut them off until it's time to replace wheel bearings.

Bluto4x

Jun 2, 2013
mpd13078 said:
I replaced my front and rears when I had to replace the front & rear wheel bearings. An ASE master mechanic told me that they provide a space tolerance & that not replacing them would shorten the life of your wheel bearings significantly.
In that case, just pull out the sawzall and cut the shield off leaving a square shim for the bearing.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.