Dummy/Newb question of the year!

MedicatedMike

Original poster
Feb 24, 2012
Hopefully I wont be bashed too bad here, but I looked over past threads and stickies related to wheel bearings and couldnt find a specific enough answer.....so here it goes.

If you change a front wheel bearing, but nothing else (no tie rods ect.), do you need an alignment afterwords? I believe the answer is no for just the wheel bearing and yes if you change the tie rods ect. but again, asking bc I wasn't sure.

Any Help is greatly appreciated!! :thumbsup:

***Our 05 TB is 4x4 and I did lower the "knuckle" I BELIEVE IT IS from the "upper control arm" again I BELIEVE IT IS....so that it was easier to get the 3 bolts out of the hub in case that makes a difference.

kardain

Dec 16, 2011
The short answer

If your wheel center cap is removable, before doing anything, loosen the front axle nut... A 39mm worked on mine with no slack, but GM says 38.... If you can, try both a 38 and 39 at the auto parts store before purchasing.

Jack up the side you think is the bad side. Remove the wheel, caliper and bracket, and the rotor. Now you have access to the hub. Finish removing the axle nut and either using a pulley puller or BFH, knock it inward a bit to break the connection between axle and hub.

The hub has holes cut in it to access to the mounting bolts. Using a ratchet with extension, remove the hub.

Replace, ensure that the axle end is where it should be. Torque the hub bolts to spec, and reinstall the components.

No alignment is required if only changing the hub.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
kardain said:
...loosen the front axle nut... A 39mm worked on mine with no slack, but GM says 38....
Was that from memory? I'm very sure the OEM nut is 35mm, Cardone replacements are 36mm, and the 36mm socket often works fine on the OEM nut.

MedicatedMike said:
...do you need an alignment afterwords? ...
Not a dumb noob question at all, unless somebody answers you with the wrong answer. Then THEY get corrected. :wink:

The hub bearing, shocks, struts (unless you're changing the ride height), and anti-sway bar end links are items you can change without an alignment afterwards, since their position is well-fixed. Or in the case of the end links, are totally uninvolved with the steering accuracy by design.

I used to give bad advice that you didn't need an alignment after a pure lift, but a mechanical engineer here explained it properly, and changing the ride height DOES change the toe-in because of the design of the suspension. But merely changing a hub or shocks doesn't change the ride height.

kardain

Dec 16, 2011
the roadie said:

Not a dumb noob question at all, unless somebody answers you with the wrong answer. Then THEY get corrected. :wink:

Lollerz. Yeah, I was pulling from memory. As I last took my front end apart in August to replace the splined disconnect, thought I had the numbers right.

Besides, I don't mind being corrected one bit.

MedicatedMike

Original poster
Feb 24, 2012
Thanks so much for responses and reassurance!! :biggrin:

I actually bought the 35 mm deep well socket for $16 on Thursday (the day we changed out the hub). So apparently I still have stock CV shafts.... :thumbsup:

I even got roadie to answer my question!! A personal idol of mine! (No Gay stuff!) :cool: I have read threw tons of your old posts and found so much useful info its dumbfounding!

*Waiting until I get the transfer case fluid changed and a new 4x4 switch as ours sheared off right in her hand before I order an encoder or actuator motor and have to bug you with any questions about that. Pretty sure from reading a bunch of roadies posts that the encoder motor is the culprit from the specific dance light show it gives...but got to try the easier/cheaper fixes first of coarse.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
MedicatedMike said:
I even got roadie to answer my question!! A personal idol of mine!
Thanks for the kind words. :redface: Funniest reason I read for a noob moving here from trailvoy was that he REQUIRED continued access to me for his tech questions. Now if I could only monetize that....:undecided:

JRTAHOE

Nov 20, 2011
the roadie said:
if I could only monetize that....:undecided:

Have people deposit a $1 into your PayPal account before answering their question. In the comments in PayPal, have them post a link to their question on GMTNation... :rotfl:

MedicatedMike

Original poster
Feb 24, 2012
Well I can understand you having a following but the word "required" is a little scary, getting into stalker territory....:redface:

I know this community has nothing to due with being monetarily driven, but you guys have such a vast knowledge and helpful attitude that you guys in return save "us noobs" alot of money. Imagine if you even got .5% royalty or kickback on all $ you helped save. :biggrin:

***Disclaimer---Everything I say is a joke or in a jokingly manner

MedicatedMike

Original poster
Feb 24, 2012
Even $.50 would add up quick for Roadie.....he could probably collect enough donations for a photon laser or something by years end.....:biggrin:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.