Dumb question about brake lines......

MedicatedMike

Original poster
Feb 24, 2012
I have a really dumb question, but Im trying to help out a really good friend that I sold my old tahoe to. It has a steel brake line that appears to run the entire length of the truck, that has a small section of braided, instead of just plain steel line. It appears to be leaking in this small section of braided line. Can we just cut this section out and replace with rubber line? I know most are going to say, you supposed to do it the other way around, upgrade from rubber to stainless steel. Funds are very limited and he needs to be able to get to work at least until it can be repaired more permanently when funds permit. Any thoughts/help is greatly appreciated! :thumbsup:

MichEnvoyGuy

Dec 3, 2011
Replacing steel brake line with a rubber piece is very dangerous.

How were you planning on replacing the section? Using worm clamps?

The only safe, true way to fix this is to replace the whole segment. Sorry, its not what you wanted to hear but its the truth.

MedicatedMike

Original poster
Feb 24, 2012
thanks for the quick response! I figured that was the case, but it wold be much easier to replace just that small section so it was worth a shot. Thank you again MichEnvoyGuy!

Irishboy02

Apr 1, 2012
Agreed. They run that steel line for a reason-whether its for strength, corrosion resistance or even the amount of pressure that is put through it. A little more expensive but worth the investment unfortunately.

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
There is a reason for the joint and the flex connector, but I don't recall, probably just for vibration.

The line can be spliced, but you MUST use a double flare flange on the ends of the lines.

A short piece of line, 2 double flare connectors (equipped with 2 flare nuts, each), a flare tool and your good to go.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online