1. We are working on the forum's attachment system. Attachments and avatars will be intermittently affected over the next 24 hours.
    Dismiss Notice

Dual Exhaust (Flowmaster) vs Single Exhaust (Magnaflow)

Discussion in 'Engine & Drivetrain' started by shovenose, Jan 5, 2017.

1. shovenose

shovenose Well-Known Member

99 Suburban Vortec 5.7. Currently it has a dual exhaust with a Flowmaster (40?) muffler and I hate the drone on the highway. I had a 95 Suburban TBI 5.7 in the past with a stock exhaust except for a Magnaflow muffler and it sounded better when driving on the highway and I'm about to move so my commute will be at least an hour each way. Will I lose any HP/TQ/MPG by going back to a factory style single exhaust? I mean it is already slow and gets poor mileage anyway...

I want to do away with the dual exhaust because I'd rather the exhaust come out on the passenger side like stock vs the two pipes out the back - if I leave the truck running while I'm loading stuff in the back I can smell the exhaust which is annoying.

2. HARDTRAILZ

HARDTRAILZ Moderator

You wont lose anything except drone.

3. shovenose

shovenose Well-Known Member

Great! Thanks - the exhaust shop said "I might lose a few HP" so I just wanted to get a second opinion.

4. HARDTRAILZ

HARDTRAILZ Moderator

If it is not currently a headers/true dual setup, I think you wont lose anything. Flowmaster are not that great and Magnaflow seem to flow really well. The dual vs single is mostly for looks so I would go for what you seem to want and have in mind.