Dual Batteries UnderHood - I6

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Has anyone actually done two batteries under the hood? I would like to have two batteries, but perfer not to have one in the interior of the truck. If someone has done it or has seen it, where was the 2nd battery located?

AtlWrk

Dec 6, 2011
I haven't seen it done but there's a LOT of room to be had by relocating the air filter box and windshield washer fluid tank.

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
exactly what i was thinking, get a smaller washer fluid tank, rig up an intake, and fab a bracket to hold the battery and you're set

kardain

Dec 16, 2011
If you're not opposed to a race battery, a Braille B2317R is 7"l x4"w x6"h (rounded off)... Might be easier to find a home for a smaller battery than a second full size.... Just putting this out here as an option is all.

rmsg0040

Dec 10, 2011
pcm4less sells a small 1L washer reservoir, it is relocated close to the headlights and reuses the stock pumps, get that then you got some space

heres a link:

http://pcmforless.com/list_products.php?q=&cat=&model=Trailblazer&Submit=Find+Products

ctrl + f > Washer Tank Relocation for Trailblazers

Here's a pic of it:

largewashertank.jpg

Guys SS with a smaller reservoir, actually a coolant overflow bottle used as a washer tank:

photo1.jpg

Imagine the space!

oh05ext

Dec 7, 2011
has anyone tried to put the washer tank from a tahoe in a trailblazer.there right behing the drivers headlight and look like they go down behind the bumper

Hatchet

Nov 21, 2011
I think the only way to do it is one of 2 ways. Get 2 smaller batteries and put them in the stock location. The other is to replace the windshield washer tank and modify the intake to make some room on opposite side.

NewfieEnvoy

Jan 25, 2012
Sounds like cool project, but I had to laugh thinking about driving on our salt covered shitty winter roads with that little 1 liter washer bottle :biggrin:

Uncle Blazer

Dec 8, 2011
What are the benefits of running two batteries for someone who isnt powering extra audio equipment? What are the benefits vs the price to mod a new space for the 2nd battery?

navigator

Dec 3, 2011
Uncle Blazer said:
What are the benefits of running two batteries for someone who isnt powering extra audio equipment? What are the benefits vs the price to mod a new space for the 2nd battery?
It can be useful for guys with a lot of offroad lights, winches, air compressors etc.
It could also be useful for guys that do a lot of camping and want an aux battery to run things like water pump, camping lights etc.

I think Kyle's rig covers pretty much all of those (sound system, lights, winch, camping).

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
Uncle Blazer said:

For me I'd be able to run my food/beer cooler longer and the stock stereo longer without draining the battery so quickly. I always have booster cables with me because I've drained a lot of batteries over the years. This would be a big plus if it was a small investment and easy to do :thumbsup:. But as NewfieEnvoy pointed out, a 1 litre washer jug wouldn't last long on salty snowy roads :hissyfit:

Just my opinion...

navigator

Dec 3, 2011
Denali n DOO said:
...... a 1 litre washer jug wouldn't last long on salty snowy roads .....
I expect the trick is to find one that would work.
I don't have it anymore but it seems like my Chrysler Voyager mini-van had a decent tanks with long neck. seems like it was mounted up by the radiator. I expect they are a dime a dozen in a bone yard.

97blazer

Nov 23, 2012
Uncle Blazer said:

It depends on his goals. IMHO an extra bat isn't gonna help much with something like off road lights because you need an alt with enough capacity otherwise it's just gonna take longer to run the bats down. :frown: I you want extra cranking time then great. The other consideration is separating the bats. One for normal use and one as emergency standby. In that case you need an idolater. IE something to keep both bats charged but separated load wise. Without an idolater you can end up where one bat stays charged and the other goes dead and you never know it.

Interesting info:

Battery Isolators

12V 150 amp DC battery isolator and split charge relay for RV, car, and truck applications

tblazerdude

Dec 4, 2011
With the factory washer tank and a CAI w/o heat shield (WAI) I think there would be enough room if you could customize a bracket and tray. Ive looked into it due to my snow plow, and didn't want one in the truck either. The one thing that concerned me was the distance away from the exhaust manifold, would it be too much heat for the battery? :undecided:

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
The reservoir tank on the Jetta sits down in the bumper and has a filler tube that drops down. Holds roughly about 3/4 of a gallon of fluid. Something like that may be worth looking into for extra space under the hood.

MK5 MK6 VW TDI 2 0T Windshield Wiper Washer Fluid Reservoir Factory Good | eBay

Looks like the 99 regal as well as some other small cars have similar setups. Seen CRV, Hyundai and the cavalier when I did a google search.

1999 Windshield Washer Fluid Reservoir - APA/URO Parts, APN Auto Body Parts, Auto7 at Auto Parts Network

I know you said you want it out of the vehicle have you considered under in the area of the spare tire or something similar. I know a few guys that did the bagged s-10's mounted all of the components ie compressor, tank, extra battery to the frame. I know that this may not be the best solution with off roading, but it would not be hard to make a sturdy enclosure and secure it to the frame rail. Best option of course using a sealed battery.

http://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/att...carriage-ssr-battery-tray-right-side-copy.jpg

Just throwing it out there.

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Uncle Blazer said:

If you are asking...then you do not need a 2nd battery and will not be able to justify the cost. There are a variety of benefits, but only if you need them. If you live in Alaska, you may just want a back-up on board. If you drive log trips, you may want a fridge. If you need external lighting, you may need the extra.

Not only will the cost of modding the new space be there, but the cost of the battery and the wiring and the isolator. Possibly you will do the big three upgrade or a better alternator.

It is definitely not a mod just to do a mod or because it seems cool to have. It is not going to be cheap or is it going to be easy to justify. Hence why you do not see those of us that have legitimate reasons for dual batteries having completed this yet.

It is far easier to put a 2nd battery inside the truck and most stereo guys go that route. I do not like that personally so I started this thread for ideas on how to get one under hood.

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
I have a FWI on my SS and need to figure out what Im going to do to relocate the washer tank. Ive gone through ~1gal on 1 road trip before, driving 300mi while constantly snowing means lots of wiper fluid. That 1L tank wont cut it for me, I was going to hack mine up and put the FWI through it but it wont work.

Id love to stuff another battery in my SS, but Id rather relocate it to the rear of the truck. Have you guys looked at using a SSR battey box and putting the battery where the spare tire goes? I know a bunch of SS guys are doing this, only reason I havent is because I can still use my spare and want it for roadtrips.

Hatchet

Nov 21, 2011
ScarabEpic22 said:
Have you guys looked at using a SSR battey box and putting the battery where the spare tire goes?

Genius... I never thought bout stuffing it in the back under body. Tuck it up in the frame rails...

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
blazinlow89 said:
I know you said you want it out of the vehicle have you considered under in the area of the spare tire or something similar. I know a few guys that did the bagged s-10's mounted all of the components ie compressor, tank, extra battery to the frame. I know that this may not be the best solution with off roading, but it would not be hard to make a sturdy enclosure and secure it to the frame rail. Best option of course using a sealed battery.

http://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/att...carriage-ssr-battery-tray-right-side-copy.jpg

Just throwing it out there.

Beat you to it :raspberry:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online