NEED HELP DTC P0430 on '99 Suburban

southsidesmoka

Original poster
Jul 21, 2018
Columbia, SC
To Whom It May Concern:

The ol' "Check Engine Soon" light is on in my beloved 1999 Suburban LS. :duh: I have repeatedly cleared and pulled DTC P0430. I am curious as to how I differentiate between a bad downstream O2 sensor and a bad catalytic converter? Amazon has the appropriate ACDelco HO2S; if that's my issue...how hard is it to remove and install one of these? If it's the catalytic converter...where the hell do I begin? Any and all advice and direction is greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time. :tiphat:

- southsidesmoka

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
As opposed to an issue pointing to the sensor (i.e. sensor voltage issue), this code is actually telling you that the cat is not working. There is a way to confirm if you have an IR temp gun. Get the engine warmed up and hold the RPM to 2-3000 RPM. Check the temps before and after the cat. If the after temp is not much higher then the before temp, it's dead.

Check on YT for Eric The Car Guy. He shows exactly how to do this. (I'd normally link to it but I'm at work)

Reactions: southsidesmoka

southsidesmoka

Original poster
Jul 21, 2018
Columbia, SC
As opposed to an issue pointing to the sensor (i.e. sensor voltage issue), this code is actually telling you that the cat is not working. There is a way to confirm if you have an IR temp gun. Get the engine warmed up and hold the RPM to 2-3000 RPM. Check the temps before and after the cat. If the after temp is not much higher then the before temp, it's dead.

Check on YT for Eric The Car Guy. He shows exactly how to do this. (I'd normally link to it but I'm at work)

Thank you, kindly, for the clarification as to issue and for the guidance towards a fix, @Mooseman . Always a pleasure, sir. :thankyou:

- southsidesmoka

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MEHMET ONUR

Members Online