DTC p0411,

moneypit

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
I did pull the hose off exhaust solenoid valve on cols startup & did hear or feel any air movement or exhaust from valve and iirc the 1" hose side had vacuum on it. I'd like to check out the pump if possible? Thank You!

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
You did or didn't "hear or feel any air movement?"

If you did then the pump is working. If you didn't, I'd Check it's fuse first before digging into it.

moneypit

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Yes it was sucking at the hose attached to air check valve/exhaust solenoid valve. I went out & checked pump with key on-Working good-YAY! must be that exh.solenoid valve causing p0411? cause when I remove hose at valve I do not hear/have any air/exh on valve side when 1st started cold??

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
You should hear exhaust noises. Remove the valve and clean it up with throttle body cleaner.

moneypit

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
The_Roadie said:
You should hear exhaust noises. Remove the valve and clean it up with throttle body cleaner.
OK Thanks, I'll give it a try! I see rock has it for $116.+ s&h and local at napa & others are $225-250.!! Yikes I'll try cleaning, I did find the dirtiest air filter I've ever seen?? surprisingly since all else is taken care of.....

moneypit

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
I pulled the solenoid valve & split it, cleaned it, any way to check its operation? Prolly connect electrical & run it??

Attachments

• valve apart.JPG
    valve apart.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 8

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
The harness that connects to the solenoid valve has a 2-pin connector. On the side leading to the control and ground, you'll see a pink/black wire and a regular black wire. Apparently, the final little stretch on the other end of the connector has "No Color Assigned," so use the other half of the connector to determine where the pink/black wire connects.

With the retaining clip area being the top of the connector, the + connection should be the left pin on the connector half that goes to the solenoid. The other side is ground. You should be able to apply +12V to the unit to test operation.

Otherwise, you could reinstall, clear DTCs, and see if P0411 reappears. And are you sure P0411 was the code, not P0410? The system should skip from P0410 to P0420.

moneypit

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
I ended up hooking up connector & key on-nothing, then started truck, still no movement..I think the valve may be seized.
My connector has 5 pin total, the 2 lower pins with center pin omitted are 1-pinkish & 1-black I didnt see a pink/black of the 5 wires, So I tried applying 12v to pink wire/connector on valve & ground to black wire/connector-Nuthin' is that the correct sequence?........oh and the code was indeed P0411 which I recorded & then cleared.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
If only your profile was filled out we'd know if you had the old connector with only solenoid wires, or the newer version with sensors as well. If you try poking about blindly on a 5-pin connector with 12V, you could easily burn out a sensor.

moneypit

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Hi sorry about that, this is my brother's 2008 LT 4.2 not our 2002. This 08' has 70k & I found discrepancies in the 08' manual from moose with the circuit fuse numbers but fuse's & relay are good too.

Attachments

• IMG_1563.JPG
    IMG_1563.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1564.JPG
    IMG_1564.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 2

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Here we go, must be a newer-year to do a P0411. Incorrect flow detected is what that's saying. If the valve were closed, it would be impossible to have any flow in theory....

Confusingly, the 2008 manual has the purple lead from "air solenoid relay" running to "Secondary Air Injection Pump Relay" according to the wiring schematics.

Alright, what color are those wires? Black, Purple, Dark-Blue/White, Brown/White, and Yellow, yes? Purple is the + and Black is the ground for the solenoid. The two white-striped are the inputs, and the yellow the output of, a sensor that appears to go two-way, which my guess would be that this could be the sensor determining airflow. Go one way, it says it's all good. Go the other way, it'll P0411. Stay centered, it'll assume either the valve failed to operate or the pump failed to activate. How it looks to me, anyway, with one being a positive-voltage reference and the other being a low reference to determine exact positioning, like in the TAC and the APPS.

moneypit

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
IllogicTC said:
Here we go, must be a newer-year to do a P0411. Incorrect flow detected is what that's saying. If the valve were closed, it would be impossible to have any flow in theory....

Confusingly, the 2008 manual has the purple lead from "air solenoid relay" running to "Secondary Air Injection Pump Relay" according to the wiring schematics.

Alright, what color are those wires? Black, Purple, Dark-Blue/White, Brown/White, and Yellow, yes? Purple is the + and Black is the ground for the solenoid. The two white-striped are the inputs, and the yellow the output of, a sensor that appears to go two-way, which my guess would be that this could be the sensor determining airflow. Go one way, it says it's all good. Go the other way, it'll P0411. Stay centered, it'll assume either the valve failed to operate or the pump failed to activate. How it looks to me, anyway, with one being a positive-voltage reference and the other being a low reference to determine exact positioning, like in the TAC and the APPS.
Yes, those are the colors I have on this.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Then it would appear that you attempted to test the proper circuitry. But I wonder why that would not have tripped a P0410 if the solenoid refuses to open, rather than a P0411?

moneypit

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
I haven't the foggiest myself, & I did try jumping the valve to open. I put battery charger 12v + to purple & - to black connector so shouldn't the solenoid operate if good? Seems like a seized solenoid/valve....

moneypit

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Yes, I sprayed with Castle MAF sensor cleaner inside & out, then I rapped on it lightly around to try to free up before powering up.....I found one at amazon with gasket, tax, delivered for $110.00!:smile: just trying to make sure before I/we order it. lol.
I don't know what all those symbols are on a schematic & see the other "group of 3 wires" go to sec air inj sensor, the brn/wht to air injection control and bl/wht to another air inj control all at the ecm so that "side" is signalling/monitering I presume and not operating the valve itself which is done thru the ppl wire?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    103 KB · Views: 5

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Right, the purple and the black are the solenoid itself. The other three wires are for a sensor system. They usually label the two inputs like "+5V REF" and "LOW REF" but on this one they didn't for whatever reason. Idea is at the middle point it'll read ~2.5V, and on one end it'll read 0V while on the other it'll read 5V. I'm assuming it's using this rather than a simple switch in order to measure flow direction, likely an update which occurred as a result of issues noticed post-release.

NJTB

Aug 27, 2012
Flemington, NJ
If the valve is still off and you don't use the truck as a daily driver, try using a shot of WD40 on the shaft of the valve and letting it soak a while.
On mine, I went through all the diagnosis and the valve wouldn't open/close with 12V applied. It seems there is crap in the bushing the shaft of the valve rides in, binding it.. After a bit of soaking, it worked properly.
This worked great for about 3 months. Then the valve refused to work, and I just got another one from Amazon.

moneypit

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Thanks guys, I ended up ordering a new valve from Amazon, should be here wed. One thing I noticed all back together on semi-cold start up is the huge jet engine noise for a minute or so?? Is that normal or because the valve is closed???? Though I asked my brother who said he started noticing long after P0411...?

moneypit

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Got the valve in 3 days! replaced last night & startup went well today...I think we got a winner! :smile:

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
moneypit said:
Got the valve in 3 days! replaced last night & startup went well today...I think we got a winner! :smile:
Monitor and report back in a few days, I'll leave this unmarked until it's confirmed fixed, then mark solved.

vipergg

Dec 7, 2011
Maybe you can report back if the light stays off, I just got a CEL tonight and it was p0411 also . I'll have to listen in the morning and see if I hear the pump run . I'll have to check my receipts because not too long ago I think I had one of those pieces replaced for either p0410 or p0411 and I think GM has a year warranty on the part . I have cleared the code to see if it comes back. This happened right after filling the car , probably coincidence. So what exact part was replaced ???

moneypit

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Well its been a couple days now, truck stays outdoors and its been quite cold too. I just checked with them & no engine light:smile: I replaced the secondary air injection system(SAIS) exhaust solenoid valve doohickey which is right above the manifold & bolted to the head. I saw a great pic somewhere??

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvest

Members Online