Drummond Island June or July 2013

Cable810

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
After much reading and thinking I thought it would be cool to do a trip to Drummond Island. The local Jeepers around here go to the U P once maybe twice a year and go wheeling. Plus there is a Yearly Jeep Jaborie that happens and during that time certian trails/route is closed to the Public.

With meeting in Mackinaw(seeing that I-75 goes right by Mackinaw) we have to cross the Mighty Mac(Mackinaw Bridge) then take the Ferry to the Island it will be the easiest for everyone thats able to come. There is a Toll Fee for crossing the Bridge and a Ferry Fee. Both are a small amount, probally under 20 bucks. YOU will NEED a ORV sticker to be able to acess the trails. It is Required by the DNR to have a ORV sticker to use ANY Trails/Routes up here.

The terrian on Drummond Island varies from Rocks to Mud and anything inbetween. Do a YouTube search on Drummond Island and watch some of the videos to get an idea of the Terrian as I have NEVER been there. I was just thinking on doing a Day trip. Meet bout 30mins before the Ferry leaves, Hit the trails, stop and have lunch(cookout) and finish the Ride.

Here is a map a small description on Drummond Island, and a 5 Minute video showing some of the Terrian.

Drummond Island Route Information - VVMapping.com

Drummond Island ATV ORV

Lets get some discussion started :thumbsup:

Boog2006

Dec 3, 2011
I may be interested in this. My wife's been interested in going up for a while now. I could turn this into a family vacation with some wheeling!

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I know several Jeep guys that go there a couple times a year. I was supposed to go this year but it did not pan out. Seems there are deep holes but also bypasses. Could be fun. I may be able to get a Jeep buddy with experience there to show us around.

Cable810

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
Could be fun.

Psssh It WILL BE FUN :raspberry: I'd be awosme if you and Regulator could make it!! I also know of a few guys that know Drummond quite well and had offered to show me around.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Once we get a front diff in his truck.

Cable810

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
True true... So anyone else think they can come? I know this is a ways off but it would be nice to get an idea.

03envoy

Dec 25, 2011
I'd Like to hope that I could go. But I am unsure about it still. Got to get my tires and Some other stuff still.:undecided:

- - - Updated - - -

I'd Like to hope that I could go. But I am unsure about it still. Got to get my tires and Some other stuff still.:undecided:

Cable810

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
I'm sure you will be able to make it Trent!! Would anyone want to spend a night on Drummond and make it a 2 day instead of 1?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I like multi-day trips.

Cable810

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Ok. From talking to my Uncle who has been to Drummond quit a few times said the cabins are fairley cheap.

Anyone else?

--EDIT--
My Uncle split the cabin with friends to cut cost.

Cable810

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Been doing some asking on Michigan Wheelers about some suggested places to stay and times in which to go. Most everyone suggested the Wa-Wen Resort. They say they owners cater to offroaders and from what it sounds like the guy has a shop on the resort. As for dates some suggested the last week in July. So I'm thinking either the 19th and 20th or the 26th and 27th. Really want to lay down dates so reservations can be made.

Cable810

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Facebook event https://www.facebook.com/#!/events/561278297217092/

Here is a good Youtube Video of Drummond

[video=youtube;0FrDDnBQsp0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FrDDnBQsp0[/video]

I'd like to get the dates set in stone so we can get reservations made.

Cable810

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
DATES ARE:
JULY 26th and 27th

No one else has chimed in :poke: Kyle, Matt you guys going to say anything? I know Kyle you said that you were going to take a trip to Drummond Island last year and it never happened. So I dunno if you were interested..... :poke:

Also We HAVE to be at the dock atleast 10 minutes before the ferry. Some people missed the ferry by minutes and had to wait 2 hours before catching it again. Its about 1hour and 10 minutes according to google from Mackinaw to the ferry. Dunno if link will work or not

https://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&so...26157&vpsrc=6&t=h&mra=dme&mrsp=1&sz=16&num=10

Here is the Schedule and Cost for the ferry Drummond Island Ferry Schedule and Rates

What times would be convenient for everybody?

As a side note I might be getting a new job within the month or so, Not 100% sure I'll get it. I'm sure if I get it, it shouldn't interfering with the trip but if it does I'll post up.

Cable810

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Dang double post

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I will try to. I would like to get up there. Been tough to plan anything with supporting the wife's new business venture and having myself become really busy at work. Somehow vacation time has went to the back burner and wheeling is becoming a dream rather then the norm.

Hopefully we can work this out.

Cable810

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Ok cool! If you can't its cool!

Cable810

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
List of people who are going:
Me
Wishbone
Boog2006

Maybe
Hardtrailz
Idiotmagnent(Michigan wheelers)
Bronc J-8(Michigan Wheelers)

There are some local people who might tag along.

acpowell

Apr 26, 2012
This sounds cool, but I am not sure that my Envoy is suited to this very well. It is 4x4 and not lowered but is no means Jeep "trail" rated :smile:.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
acpowell said:
This sounds cool, but I am not sure that my Envoy is suited to this very well. It is 4x4 and not lowered but is no means Jeep "trail" rated :smile:.

Heep's "trail" rated badges are a joke. You would be quite surprised what a stock TB/Envoy can do.

Cable810

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
acpowell said:
I'm sure you could manage alot on Drummond. A stock L////ty made it up Marble Head. It scraped its frame a few times. But I'd strongly reccomend Armor.

HARDTRAILZ said:
Heep's "trail" rated badges are a joke. You would be quite surprised what a stock TB/Envoy can do.

:iagree: My brother allways teases me about those badges.

Cable810

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
As of right now for all that are going move the dates from 26th and 27th TO 27th and 28th. Just got a new job and I don't think I'll be able to meet on Friday cause I work an afternoon shift which starts at 5:30pm.

Dates are moved to 27th and 28th!

Anyone else going to chime in

Going
Cable810 +1
WishboneWill be a ridealong
Boog2006

Maybe
THague90(ORTB)

Would the 13th and 14th work for anyone?

Cable810

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Reservations made @ Trailhead We all might share a site, but There are 2 sights reserved My Uncle and I will share a sight.

Bring something to grill for 2 nights and what ever else you would like to I ask that there be no Alcohol brought. Planning on Grilling out Saturday night and Sunday afternoon.

Lets meet at the Welcome center in Mackinaw 710 S Nicolet St , Mackinaw City, MI 49701 At 10am and leave around 10:15 10:30 We'll try and catch the 12:40pm ferry to Drummond.

Sound good??

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Cable810 said:
I ask that there be no Alcohol brought.

Woulda lost me right there, but y'all have a good time and take some pics!

Cable810

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Lol I asked I didn't outright say you couldn't bring any :wink: We will!! You better come next year :poke:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I don't generally go into the woods without beer and a shotgun :biggrin:

I should be better off next year. if we get this house bought and the baby gets here, next year should be a little calmer and give me a chance to get out and go on a few trips.

Cable810

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Ok cool!!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online

No members online now.