Dropped my Envoy to SS height, shop can't align

rizzo20

Original poster
Well, after installing my Belltech TBSS stock height kit my alignment shop says they can't get it lined up correctly. My Envoy measures about 32" on all 4 corners from ground to edge of fender, give or take an 1/8". The shop says there's no more adjustment left and the camber and caster is not achievable to get within spec. All the reading I've done on this I thought for sure I wasn't going too low to need the modified UCA's. Please take a look at the readout they gave me and let me know what ya think. I replaced the struts, springs (SS stock) outer tie rods, sway bar bushings and links. I did not replace the LCA, UCA or ball joints as they all felt tight and the shop verified that they are all tight and don't need replaced. 20170410_160144.jpg

tsmith1156

Jul 9, 2013
Lebanon, Ohio
For some reason I'm not able to see the attached image but I have never heard of them not able to align a vehicle. That just doesn't make sense unless a suspension part needs to be replaced, that's the only time I've heard of a vehicle that can't be aligned

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Pretty sure the SS doesn't have different UCAs, LCAs, or brackets, so something doesn't make sense there. They need to pull the LCAs inward more. Um, they do realize they have to adjust the LCAs, right? The number of shops that have simply looked at the UCA, seen no adjustment there, and claimed it "cannot be aligned" is appalling...

Reactions: Mounce

rizzo20

Original poster
For some reason I'm not able to see the attached image but I have never heard of them not able to align a vehicle. That just doesn't make sense unless a suspension part needs to be replaced, that's the only time I've heard of a vehicle that can't be aligned

Hmm, not sure why you can't see it. Can anyone else verify that my attachment is showing? My understanding is if you drop these Envoy or TBs too low they aren't able to achieve the specs w/o changing to modified UCA's. I made sure I didn't drop it below what was recommended.

Pretty sure the SS doesn't have different UCAs, LCAs, or brackets, so something doesn't make sense there. They need to pull the LCAs inward more. Um, they do realize they have to adjust the LCAs, right? The number of shops that have simply looked at the UCA, seen no adjustment there, and claimed it "cannot be aligned" is appalling...

I spoke to the mechanic and he did mention at least once to me about the LCA's being slotted so I know he is aware of that. I've read several threads about shops not knowing about the slotted LCA's so I was sure he understood that when we talked . Sparky can you see my attachment? Does it look to be way out? It does drive nice, doesn't pull to one side, doesn't feel like the front tires are fighting each other like it did before they "somewhat" aligned it.

AWD V8

Jan 12, 2015
Well I wouldn't describe the LCA adjustment as slotted, but they do slip into a slot and are pinched with bolts through the frame.

I'd hope that the tech knew that the LCA are adjustable. Looks like he did adjust something. If the ride height is the same as an TBSS it should align within specs for a TBSS. Don't know if your OEM specs are the same as a TBSS.

When I did my alignment I had lots of camber adjustment. I don't know/care what the factory alignment settings are, I adjust my vehicles according to my driving style. I've got my camber set at -.5º
My truck has wide low profile tires. Too much camber either way with low profile tires can make the steering twitchy with some tires.

Most shops will not adjust outside of factory recommendations so I do it myself. I also trust myself to do a better job. The past alignment I got was after a minor accident, it always pulled to the right. I redid it and now it's fine.

Reactions: rizzo20

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Caster doesn't affect tire wear, just the "return to center" ease, and stability. Higher on the caster actually makes it bite corners a bit better and more stable on straightaways, so that's a non-issue.

The camber though is risking wearing your inside edges of your front tires.

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
Looking at your pics in your build thread I'd say you're a good bit lower than stock TBSS height..I think you need the modified UCA's....IMHO...

That's why I was questioning what you said about the spacers you used..you look lower than what I intend to be and I have the UCA's...

rizzo20

Original poster
Looking at your pics in your build thread I'd say you're a good bit lower than stock TBSS height..I think you need the modified UCA's....IMHO...

That's why I was questioning what you said about the spacers you used..you look lower than what I intend to be and I have the UCA's...

Tiggerr, you're right. Now when measuring all 4 corners on a nice flat parking lot with 1/2 tank of fuel after things have settled here's how it measures:
LF 31 1/2" RF 31 3/8"
LR 31 5/8" RR 32"

I think I see now why the RF camber is not attainable and the LF is right at the edge. Tony from tbbssowners suggested in a thread I have over there to go with his modified UCA's. Since I plan to keep this Envoy for a long time I'll do the modded UCA's because tires aren't cheap. Thanks for the input everyone.

Reactions: Tiggerr

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online