Drones or UAS

djthumper

Original poster
Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Anyone out there flying drones? What are you flying. I have been looking into it and trying to decide.

Reactions: Capote

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I actually got one for Christmas but it ran away on me... once they send me a new one I can comment though. It seemed like a good build and it's small so it can be played wit indoors.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Now that the coast is clear with the FAA... The Police, Fire Rescue, City Inspectors and also many Insurance companies will be the ones to watch for the new hardware that is durable, reliable and cheap. Soon, they will be sending drones around the communities that the FAA approves for the use of "surveillance-at-low-altitude" in order to do liability investigative image and videos during home/roof/business/fire prevention inspections that human enforcers and insurance adjusters can't accomplish right now with a hand-held cameras and toting around aluminum extension ladders.

Whatever hardware they wind up using will set the standard for flying machines that are durable, reliable and when enough of them are sold and pass their testing phase, much less expensive... and that is when the good ones roll will start rolling off of the assembly line.

In the mean time... I'd like to have one of these:

djthumper

Original poster
Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
I actually got one for Christmas but it ran away on me... once they send me a new one I can comment though. It seemed like a good build and it's small so it can be played wit indoors.
What did you have?

Now that the coast is clear with the FAA... The Police, Fire Rescue, City Inspectors and also many Insurance companies will be the ones to watch for the new hardware that is durable, reliable and cheap. Soon, they will be sending drones around the communities that the FAA approves for the use of "surveillance-at-low-altitude" in order to do liability investigative image and videos during home/roof/business/fire prevention inspections that human enforcers and insurance adjusters can't accomplish right now with a hand-held cameras and toting around aluminum extension ladders.

Whatever hardware they wind up using will set the standard for flying machines that are durable, reliable and when enough of them are sold and pass their testing phase, much less expensive... and that is when the good ones roll will start rolling off of the assembly line.

In the mean time... I'd like to have one of these:

I have been watching them for a while, especially since we have been looking into them for my SAR team.

Reactions: mrrsm

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Reactions: djthumper

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
What the FAA will eventually require out of absolute necessity will be an involuntary, passive SIRI-like AI that includes GPS recording via Googlemaps of almost all activity on each airborne machine in order to prevent rampant criminal activity. For example, after the Fukajima Japan nuclear meltdown fiasco, some intrepid, displaced, bitter and very angry private Japanese citizen loaded a handful of Extremely Radioactive Material on a Drone and then delivered this Hot Package over the railing in a high building, right onto the private porch of the Prime Minister of Japan... because apparently he didn't dig it when the PM sat on his hands and withheld making the right decisions. So based on that premise, Angry, Irrational People + Drone Technology will be trouble with a capitol "T" (capital?)

From an AI perspective...small flying machines might be extremely threatening... as this TED Talk describes... These machines are autonomous...and do not require human intervention to accomplish their missions. This video is also a nice Drone Primer on how the magic of these flying machines is possible:

http://www.ted.com/talks/vijay_kumar_robots_that_fly_and_cooperate

http://knowbeforeyoufly.org/

Last edited:

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
One thing very worrisome is that the FAA now requires mandatory drone registration; they talk about drone registration on their website; they show pictures of drones that must be registered ... but no where in the regulation does it specify registration is ONLY for multi-rotor radio-control aircraft commonly (and mistakenly) known as drones.

As it reads now, every owner of any unmanned aerial system (meaning any flying model controlled from the ground) greater than 250 grams and less than 55 pounds has to register themselves. This applies to every fixed wing, glider or radio-control helicopter out there. Millions of radio-control hobbyists will now be affected, the vast majority of whom don't even realize this law affects them. This so-called "drone" registration is one of the poorest-written knee-jerk regulations I have ever seen!

Reactions: mrrsm and Capote

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86