DRL Killer... a pre-installed option?!

TrailBlazn420

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
So I was going thought my glove box today, and I came across this booklet, entitled Getting To Know your 2002 TrailBlazer. I was amazed that it had made it to this point in life, considering my father purchased this TB brand new in 2001. I was skimming though this book, and I came across a section on "Automatic Headlamp Control and Daytime Running Lamps". This is a direct Quote:

"Daytime running lamps (DRLs) make it easier for others to see your vehicle during the day. The DRL system activates your headlamps at reduced intensity when the ignition is on, the headlamp knob is in the automatic headlamp mode, and the vehicle is not in PARK.

When necessary, you may turn off the automatic headlamp system and DRL feature by following these steps:

1. Turn the ignition to RUN

2. Press the DOME OVERRIDE button four times within six seconds. A chime will sound to indicate that the system is off.

3. To return to automatic mode, push the DOME OVERRIDE button four times within six seconds, or turn the ignition to OFF and then to RUN again.

See automatic headlamp system and daytime running lamps in your owner's manual for more information."

I tried this today, and it worked in my 2002 TB LTZ. This may put an end to the need for a "DRL killer" mod for those looking to add HIDs, or like me, looking to add LED "eyebrow" lights ala Carlton aka Blckshdw. Try it out, and let me know what you guys think! :undecided:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
:tongue: This option is usually suggested to noobs who installed HIDs without doing the proper research, and have asked how to get rid of their buzzing/flickering issues prior to getting a DRL killer. (if they don't wanna do the cap mod)

Edit: Downside is, you have to do this every time you start the vehicle. :hopeless:

TrailBlazn420

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Blckshdw said:
:tongue: This option is usually suggested to noobs who installed HIDs without doing the proper research, and have asked how to get rid of their buzzing/flickering issues prior to getting a DRL killer. (if they don't wanna do the cap mod)

Edit: Downside is, you have to do this every time you start the vehicle. :hopeless:

Here I am, thinkin' I'm all smart and stuff. :frown: Well, at least I know now! I guess I need some info on that Capacitor mod!!!

plaen

Dec 4, 2011
TrailBlazn420 said:
So I was going thought my glove box today, and I came across this booklet, entitled Getting To Know your 2002 TrailBlazer. I was amazed that it had made it to this point in life, considering my father purchased this TB brand new in 2001. I was skimming though this book, and I came across a section on "Automatic Headlamp Control and Daytime Running Lamps". This is a direct Quote:

"Daytime running lamps (DRLs) make it easier for others to see your vehicle during the day. The DRL system activates your headlamps at reduced intensity when the ignition is on, the headlamp knob is in the automatic headlamp mode, and the vehicle is not in PARK.

When necessary, you may turn off the automatic headlamp system and DRL feature by following these steps:

1. Turn the ignition to RUN

2. Press the DOME OVERRIDE button four times within six seconds. A chime will sound to indicate that the system is off.

3. To return to automatic mode, push the DOME OVERRIDE button four times within six seconds, or turn the ignition to OFF and then to RUN again.

See automatic headlamp system and daytime running lamps in your owner's manual for more information."

I tried this today, and it worked in my 2002 TB LTZ. This may put an end to the need for a "DRL killer" mod for those looking to add HIDs, or like me, looking to add LED "eyebrow" lights ala Carlton aka Blckshdw. Try it out, and let me know what you guys think! :undecided:

While it does turn off the drls, it is only in effect until the auto headlights turn on, or the car Is turned off, it doesnt always stay on or off. The problem with not using a drl killer for the headlights is the drls run at 70% intensity, causing the hids to burn out early or the relay to buzz.

There is a capacitor mod to have the lights run at 100%, but the draw back is always running the hids. There Is a way to run it without using either, but you lose the front night illumination, unless you change the lights to the fogs. I wrote up a post on the os about it, I just hqvent gotten around to taking pictures of the install to complete it.

plaen

Dec 4, 2011
Jman423 said:
No need to feel that way... it is good information to have available for others to see.

:iagree: always good to have more information available for others

MichEnvoyGuy

Dec 3, 2011
I was posting about this the other day. Funny thing is, when I first got my 'Voy, I found this out by accident!!

One day I was waiting in the 'Voy with the truck running and was fidgety. I remembered that in my Jimmy that I had just sold, you could press the dome override button for some kind of consequence so I tried it on the 'Voy...'beep beep' and the auto head lamps went off. Score!

I posted this the other day in a thread here because I guess 90% of people already know about this feature but its the other 10% I try to get at..lol.

Apparently, the dome light button override trick only works in 2002-2003's. In 2004 (IIRC), GM revised the switch and it wont override the lamps anymore. But Im sure somebody will chime in to confirm/deny this.

EDIT: Found the post confirming it no longer works in 2004+:
http://gmtnation.com/f23/how-control-when-drls-974/#post17664

FWIW, I think I found a 'goose egg' another time when I was sitting in the truck with it running. I, of course, was fidgety (its my style) and I was turning the key to "start" in succession, out of boredom, rapidly, even though the truck was running. Of course, it wont grind the starter, we all know that. Anyway, a message kept on appearing on my radio screen (back when I had the 6-disc stereo) that was saying something about security enable/disabled, something to that effect. Every time I toggled the ignition switch, it would come back. :undecided:

Either I found a goose egg, or I really really pissed off my class 2 data bus with my fidgety-ness that day :rotfl:

gmctodd

Jan 8, 2012
IIRC you can turn the headlight switch to the left to turn off the DRL's, but I think they have to be on first. And this still needs to be done everytime.

gmctodd

Jan 8, 2012
Thinking out loud here: The headlight switch is spring loaded to always be in the AUTO position, by turning it to the left it cancel's the lights for that cycle. Could you remove the spring from the switch so it stayed in the cancel position? Or is this not what you are looking for

Me007gold

Nov 20, 2011
gmctodd said:
Thinking out loud here: The headlight switch is spring loaded to always be in the AUTO position, by turning it to the left it cancel's the lights for that cycle. Could you remove the spring from the switch so it stayed in the cancel position? Or is this not what you are looking for

I had the same idea. That dose not work, I tried it when I first got my HID's. It's good thinking though.

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
Although I plan on adding a killer if someone wanted an easy way out can you disconect/black out the photo sensor on the dash and the night headlights will always be on? Just writing down thoughts from my brain lol

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online