Drivers lower ball joint stuck

richphotos

Original poster
Feb 26, 2016
St. Louis Park, MN
I am in the process of replacing all the ball joints and outter tie rods.
Ive got the passenger side done, was easy peasy.
Now I am at the drivers side and the lower ball joint will not come off and I cant break the jam nut on the tie rod free.
Ive got the ball joint pressed out about 1/4 of an inch and it will not budge any farther.
Ive tried heat, Ive tried beating it with a bfh and it just wont move.
Any tips on what I can do just to get this damn thing out? I have the new one ready to go, Also any tips on breaking the jam nut free on the tie rod end? all are heavily soaked in penetrating oil
Getting it to the shop is an option, but they are a week out and I cant get the wheel back on
I am doing this in a driveway with handtools and only have access to a map gas torch. Am I screwed?

flyboy2610

Aug 24, 2021
Lincoln, Ne.
For the jam nut on the tie rod end, I would recommend a pipe wrench and a long piece of pipe. For the ball joint I would recommend getting a loaner ball joint press from an auto parts store. Get the tie rod end off first, then remove the steering knuckle to make access to the ball joint easier.

richphotos

Original poster
Feb 26, 2016
St. Louis Park, MN
For the jam nut on the tie rod end, I would recommend a pipe wrench and a long piece of pipe. For the ball joint I would recommend getting a loaner ball joint press from an auto parts store. Get the tie rod end off first, then remove the steering knuckle to make access to the ball joint easier.
I've got a ball joint press and it's not budging in the slightest but 1/4 inch.

Joe_67

Aug 9, 2022
Central Virginia
I wish I could remember the specifics of doing mine...

Every stubborn tie rod end jam nut I've had meant not being shy about the heat. Or even the BFH (as in get one wrench wedged to hold the end, and another on the nut and slam it).

I think I did the lower ball joints with an air hammer and ball joint attachment. Can you borrow a compressor and air hammer? (Or maybe I did get that one with a press - like I said, I wish could remember the specifics). Presumably since you did the P side already, I don't need to ask whether or not you go the snap ring out? If it started moving at all then you're normally past the hard part.

Reactions: richphotos

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Was the ball joint original? If so, then it's staked in and you have to grind off the staked parts of it. There should be 3 notches.

richphotos

Original poster
Feb 26, 2016
St. Louis Park, MN
Was the ball joint original? If so, then it's staked in and you have to grind off the staked parts of it. There should be 3 notches.
Not origional. That's the issue I had when I first did them 😆
I saw a post about someone using an angle grinder and a drill to dril them out, and I think I might be at that point.
I got it to move a 1/4 inch but that's it.
I might try to press it in the bit I got it out and try pressing it back out, rinse and repeat like a rusted bolt.

Reactions: Beacon and Mooseman

richphotos

Original poster
Feb 26, 2016
St. Louis Park, MN
I wish I could remember the specifics of doing mine...

Every stubborn tie rod end jam nut I've had meant not being shy about the heat. Or even the BFH (as in get one wrench wedged to hold the end, and another on the nut and slam it).

I think I did the lower ball joints with an air hammer and ball joint attachment. Can you borrow a compressor and air hammer? (Or maybe I did get that one with a press - like I said, I wish could remember the specifics). Presumably since you did the P side already, I don't need to ask whether or not you go the snap ring out? If it started moving at all then you're normally past the hard part.
I got the snap ring off, was the easy part lol.
I don't know anyone with a compressor and air hammer unfortunately, I am pretty much on my own with this and it's our only vehicle so I'm willing to take some drastic measures so I don't have to admit defeat and have it sent to a shop

I should have the tie rod under control, its just this balljoint now.

Reactions: Mooseman

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
The drivers side on my Envoy gave me fits on the OEM one years ago too..

What I did was get as much pressure on it thru the ball joint press, and then using a 5lb sledge, smacked the side of the control arm at the ball joint. It popped, repeated the process until it completely popped out.

Joe_67

Aug 9, 2022
Central Virginia
The drivers side on my Envoy gave me fits on the OEM one years ago too..

What I did was get as much pressure on it thru the ball joint press, and then using a 5lb sledge, smacked the side of the control arm at the ball joint. It popped, repeated the process until it completely popped out.

That rings a bell with me! (I think the air hammer was just getting the stud out. I gotta start taking notes and pics).

richphotos

Original poster
Feb 26, 2016
St. Louis Park, MN
Well I finally got it out. Turns out I mushroomed the top when I was whaling on it with a hammer. Took a grinder to it, pressed it in then pressed it out. Impact did the hard work.
For the jam nut i wedged a wrench on the lower control arm on the inner tie rod then used a open end wrench on the jam nut and a floor jack.

Learn from my mistake lol

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigboylove