Drivers door buttons non-responsive

Robbabob

Original poster
Dec 10, 2012
The wife's '03 LS TB button cluster started acting funny at lunch. Passenger window rolled all the way down when only a little down was requested, drivers window didn't roll all the way down when requested (twice), then labored to go all the way up. On the drive home after work, none of the buttons on the drivers door worked (lock, windows, passenger lockout).

After searching for similar problems (solutions), I have the following data:
1. all 3 other windows roll down and up at their doors.
2. the #10 fuse under the rear seat is fine.
3. pulled and seated the bottom 2 fuses I might have assumed did something (RT LT).
4. inspected the wires at the door hinge. Pulled the simple black cover and they looked fine. Perhaps I need to inspect at the grommet as well.

I read somewhere about a ground wire, but I'm not sure where that is.

Any help will be appreciated! Thanks :undecided:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
The driver's door module sounds suspect here. Pop it out from the driver's door, and swap it with the passenger door module. If the driver's door functions behave properly with the PDM, and the passenger door functions get funky with the DDM in it, then you need to get a new (meaning used) DDM. Problem solved.

If the problems stay where they originally were, then more troubleshooting is needed.

Robbabob

Original poster
Dec 10, 2012
Blckshdw said:
The driver's door module sounds suspect here.

Just did a Google search of the site and found a video showing how to test this. Exactly what you said, I just wasn't sure of the part name, as obvious as it sounds.

YUPPERS, passenger side was able to operate the door locks and the window. For the time being, she'll be driving a hybrid :biggrin:

Thanks to you and this site, once again, for the loads of information from knowledgeable members and the efforts of the videos helping me to learn this stuff!

Totally excited right now :wootwoot:

edit: Found one on ebay for $140. Good price? I think so, let me hear from y'all.

edit #2: didn't realize earlier in the sun light, the open door did not activate the dome light. Not until I walked out to remove it in the dark. It now works with the passenger door module connected.

Robbabob

Original poster
Dec 10, 2012
Only one I could find was on Ebay for $140. Maybe should have offered less than the "buy it now" price. Stealership wants nearly $200.

On its way...

xtitan1

Jun 5, 2013
Wait isn't this a recall item? Mine was doing that and had the dealership perform the service bulletin for water getting into the module and causing shorts

Robbabob

Original poster
Dec 10, 2012
xtitan1 said:
Wait isn't this a recall item? Mine was doing that and had the dealership perform the service bulletin for water getting into the module and causing shorts

I think the recall was for the 05/06 years, if I'm not mistaken.

Thanks, though. It's just quit raining after something like 7 days straight here, so it could have been valid!

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
Robbabob said:
edit: Found one on ebay for $140. Good price? I think so, let me hear from y'all.

Thanks to the recall, and (at one time) lack of available modules, the price has skyrocketed.:hissyfit:

I cooked mine a few years back and a used replacement was under $40. That same used one recently lost the "lock" function and I haven't been able to find one at a reasonable price.

Robbabob

Original poster
Dec 10, 2012
Replacement module came in, got everything connected and there's still a receptacle for a connector... I can't find any other harness to connect. I think everything is working, so why would there be another connection point?

Perhaps GM made enough generic, the final position might have worked the heated seats or something. Input always appreciated!

View attachment 29597

Another repair tackled, thanks y'all!

Attachments

• drivers door module (640x480).jpg
    drivers door module (640x480).jpg
    43 KB · Views: 0

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
if that position is towards the back of the unit, it is indeed the heated seat control buttons.

drv003

Aug 1, 2013
Robbabob said:
I think the recall was for the 05/06 years, if I'm not mistaken.

Thanks, though. It's just quit raining after something like 7 days straight here, so it could have been valid!

I have a 2005 trailblazer and the driver window will not work. Ordered and received part from ebay but still not working. Dealer says it needs to be programmed? Shouldn't this already be programmed and work when I take the wires from the old and put on this?:mad:

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
drv003 said:
Shouldn't this already be programmed and work when I take the wires from the old and put on this?:mad:
That would imply that GM mastered the trick about plug-n-play peripherals that Microsoft managed to to in 1995. Sadly, they are highly motivated to force you back into the dealer's clutches for things like this, so they will never do the right thing and run a real OS.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozzyextlt

Members Online