NEED HELP driver side top shock bolt comes loose.

Sprung Monkey

Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Al
Since the air bag to conventional shocks 07 saab97x5.3i driver side top shock bolt comes loose.

Yes I was unknowly cruising around w/ only one rear shock and 2 springs this while towing 4K trailer on 220 mile one way trips.

I actuelly stopped at a junkyard and picked up a replacement top shock bolt dam thing still wants to loosen.

Isn’t there a nut built into the shock brackect? What am I missing why do’es this bolt continue to loosen itself?
I was assited w/ the swap at a friends that has a lift he was the one that tightened the bolts

I can't remember but I think the monroe shocks didn't come w/ these top bolts these shocks where advertised as the swap kit, I think my friend just screwed in some replacement bolts.

why doe's gtm nation load so very slowely I have excellent signal however GTM alot of the time won't even load even after repeated refreshes.

Thanks for any advice

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Take the bolt to your local parts store, and see about finding a Nylok nut. Should solve the problem. You could also use thread locker.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
AFAIK, shocks don't come with any bolts. You just reuse the old ones. I can't remember if the top bolt has a weld nut or one that stays there. Check to see if it's still there but would be pretty evident if there is no nut. I'd use some blue Loctite on it if it kept backing out on me.

I've also found that the site is slow at times and even sometimes times out when I try to do things.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sprung Monkey

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
You probably know and understand this information already. However, for the sake of Safety, I'll make mention of these important fasteners distinctions here. Assuming that the Saab Vehicle Chassis and Suspension are quite similar if not identical with the Trailblazers and Envoys... Please use the attached image to Describe WHICH Fastener Keeps Coming Loose:

TOPOFSHOCKMOUNT1.jpg

Note that the Center Rod Restraining Nut (Red Arrow) should NEVER be removed unless the entire Shock Strut has been removed as a Complete Unit. Afterwards, the Outer Black Coil Spring needs to either be Mechanically 'Caged' or confined by means of a Spring Compressor that has to be installed to compress and hold the Coil Spring prior to performing any Dis-Assembly.

If the Center Rod Fastener has been Cross-Threaded or Damaged, the Two Nut-To-Stud Fasteners should NOT be loosened in place. Also the Lower Yoke Bolt to the "A" Frame Fastener should NOT be undone or removed. Otherwise, the Coil Spring could Suddenly Let Go and cause the Mechanic Serious Injury. Prior to removing the Nuts from the Two Shock Mount Studs (Green Arrows) ...that Center Rod Nut MUST be made SECURE.

Reactions: Sprung Monkey

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Thats good info, but I think he is talking about the rear shocks.

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
Sounds like the blind nut on the top shock mount came loose. Not sure how to fix it, as it is normally welded to the mount. May need a spot weld or two. It probably came loose because you can't get a wrench up there.

Reactions: mrrsm

Sprung Monkey

Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Al
I'll back the bolt out to see if there is a welded on nut I fealth around coundn't feel the nut.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Found two Monroe Shocks-Struts Installation Guides for the Saab 9-7x AWD 5.3L if these are any help as "Templates" to follow and cross check against things as they are at the moment:

Attachments

• monroe-quick-strut-installation-instructions-en.pdf
    266.3 KB · Views: 1
  • FORM_90017_90018.pdf
    54.5 KB · Views: 4

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timmerk

Members Online