Driver side head light inop

Green_04

Original poster
Mar 29, 2012
Ok so quick run down:
1. I have already checked all the fuses and swaped 45 and 46. nothing.
2. I have 12V at the plug but it does not have a ground.
3. the driver side high beam works, and both passenger side lights work.
4. The driver side doesnt work in regular lights or DRL
5. I just spent $30 on light bulbs so i know the bulb is good.

Need help ASAP
Thanks

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Green_04 said:
Ok so quick run down:
1. I have already checked all the fuses and swaped 45 and 46. nothing.
That's the right thing to do for BOTH low beams being out.
2. I have 12V at the plug but it does not have a ground.
Sounds like that's the problem.
3. the driver side high beam works, and both passenger side lights work.
So the high beam ground is OK, which proves the connection to the body is OK.
4. The driver side doesnt work in regular lights or DRL
It could be Fuse #6 except you ruled that out by checking the voltage.
And you own a meter, so I'm impressed. :thumbsup:

Your problem is before or at the ground SPLICE S107, between the driver's low beam lamp and the ground point G107. The shop manual describes its location as: In the forward lamp harness, ground circuit, 2 in. from the left turn signal breakout toward the left headlamp breakout. Seriously, to fix it, find the black wire going into C102, the headlight connector. Splice in a good ground to that wire.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Green_04 said:

Need help ASAP
Thanks

Not to doubt you ,but did you test the dr. side bulb to make sure it is good?

Roadie is probably right, but I've bought things new that didn't work. :twocents:

Green_04

Original poster
Mar 29, 2012
Hey guys thanks for the responses... I didn’t put the list in order... I bought the headlights when I noticed the driver side was out... I have checked the new bulb its good. The old one didn’t look bad but I did not check it. I should get continuity on the opposite side of the connector correct? And what color is the other ground I need to go to? Does anyone have a schematic? There wasn’t much info I could find and I figured it was a ground when I got power to the one side. Thanks again for your help.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
I would connect your meter to the socket and turn on the lights, then wiggle the wires around in chance thefe may be a loose connection.

Green_04

Original poster
Mar 29, 2012
gmcman said:
I would connect your meter to the socket and turn on the lights, then wiggle the wires around in chance thefe may be a loose connection.

Good idea i would have done that but i dont have three arms i will have to get an assistant... Why would it just cut out like that though? Thanks for the schematic

Taz6056

Dec 21, 2011
Just replaced my drivers side headlight, all the same symptoms, checked and tried everything listed here. After pulling the whole headlight assembly I found that the OEM wires inside the headlight were 18 or 20 gauge, and had burned up, and roasted the internal headlight harness and plug, perfectly good bulb, terribly bad OEM wiring. Pull the bulb, and look up inside the plug of the headlight. $40 replacement from Rock Auto(not affliated just a satisfied customer.)

Marc.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Regardless to what you have already done....have you tried the known good bulb from the pass side to see if it works on the drivers side?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.