driver power window

George

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
only works when it's hot outside 80 ish and over, all other windows work cold or hot outside:crazy:

christo829

Dec 7, 2011
Fairfax, Virginia
Do you hear any noise at all from the window motor?

Do you have power mirrors? If so, do they fail to work when the window fails?
If so, you may have a bad wire in the harness.

First thing to try is to swap your driver's side door module with the passenger's side.
If the problem travels, it's the module. If it remains on the driver's side, check the wiring
harness that passes from the body to the door for continuity. The modules pretty much
pop right out, so it's a fairly easy item to test.

You may just have a poor connection in the module connectors that opens and closes with
temperature extremes. It's also possible to have something like a bad solder joint in the control module
that is similarly affected. If all other items controlled from that module continue to work and just
the window motor fails, you may have a physically bad switch (like worn plastic that gets just out of
tolerance when the temperature changes enough), or even a bad connection in the window motor
itself.

Do you have a multimeter? Any experience troubleshooting electrical issues?

Good Luck!

Chris

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
I had an issue with my memory seats working intermittently, we found the connector was really loose on the DDM on ours. We used some electrical tape to hold the connector in place, and so far so good!

Just a thought. I would think if the DDM was going bad, it would be more than just 1 switch acting oddly.

christo829

Dec 7, 2011
Fairfax, Virginia
Voymom said:
Just a thought. I would think if the DDM was going bad, it would be more than just 1 switch acting oddly.

That would depend on what was actually going bad. Some modules have died from water getting in them and
corroding traces. Some have had the plastic buttons wear out/break on the windows used most frequently.
Those failures can cause one window to fail (or one function), and leave others working. Easiest way to check that
without actually tearing the module apart is to swap passenger's side and driver's side.

Also, since it is apparently temperature aggravated, small electrical trace cracks, solder joints, or even metal
to metal contacts within connectors can be affected by expansion/contraction, so it could still be inside the
door module and only affect one function, or could be wiring.

Hopefully we can get a bit more detail in order to narrow down the culprit.

Cheers-

Chris

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
christo829 said:
That would depend on what was actually going bad. Some modules have died from water getting in them and
corroding traces. Some have had the plastic buttons wear out/break on the windows used most frequently.
Those failures can cause one window to fail (or one function), and leave others working. Easiest way to check that
without actually tearing the module apart is to swap passenger's side and driver's side.

Also, since it is apparently temperature aggravated, small electrical trace cracks, solder joints, or even metal
to metal contacts within connectors can be affected by expansion/contraction, so it could still be inside the
door module and only affect one function, or could be wiring.

Hopefully we can get a bit more detail in order to narrow down the culprit.

Cheers-

Chris

Yes, your absolutely right. In my case I have broken clips inside the drivers door paneling, which causes it to shake when closing it, going over bumps and so forth. There is also a little plastic lip inside the door handle in which the wires for my memory seats sat on, and with the shaking of the door panel I believe it caused the connector to be less capable to transmit. I used electrical tape to hold the wires on the memory seat module in place, and then used tape to hold the connector which goes to the DDM in place as well. It has been 3 days since doing this, and my memory seats(knock on wood) have not given me a single problem. I was going to replace the entire DDM, but decided to investigate the issue a little bit more in depth, and discovered that the connector was extremely loose when the seats did not work.

I also mentioned this because I too thought it was temperature based, as it worked better with less issues in the cold, and hardly ever worked when it was hot out. I found that when cold the wires were much stiffer and harder to move, and when hot the wires were looser and easier to move, which would explain why the memory seats worked better in the cold than in the heat.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramzo358