Driver Arrested After Careening Through Illinois Mall In a Chevrolet TrailBlazer

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Reactions: northcreek

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
T'wasn't me... One 370 in the stable is enough :smile:

Thought about posting this (it was all over our local news yesterday), but didn't think it was worthy. Plus there weren't too many details yesterday.

The mall he drove through (Woodfield) is probably the largest in the Chicago area. Not quite 'Mall Of America' size, but big, especially when you consider the outbuildings, etc.

From the footage I saw today, he looked like he was going pretty slow through the interior (maybe he was window shopping? LOL) And considering what he did, the truck didn't look *that* damaged... gotta love body on frame!

Only a couple of minor injuries; authorities were quick to say he was just 'unstable' - not a terrorist.

Event started when he drove through the entryway of the Sears... so there's another one closed... :laugh:

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Like to put a scanner on that TB to see what code he got .......:hissyfit:

Reactions: Redbeard

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Like to put a scanner on that TB to see what code he got .......:hissyfit:

Probably a PCM malfunction... of the operator!

I posted it because not very often that the news will name the brand and even less the model of vehicles involved in anything. Heck, they even resort to blurring out logos a lot of times.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I posted it because not very often that the news will name the brand and even less the model of vehicles involved in anything. Heck, they even resort to blurring out logos a lot of times.

Believe it or not, whoever called 911 definitively identified it. They played the recording from the dispatch center. No hesitation in her (!) voice whatsoever.
There's a lot of 'em still on the road out here. Guessing she had (a family member with) one.

Saw another shot of it yesterday -- he took off the front bumper cover and the driver side front fender. Other than that, it looked just fine. Still amazing there wasn't more damage - he totally took out the Sears entrance. And that explains why there weren't more injuries -- while he had to be moving at a fairly good clip to take out the entryway, no one shops at Sears any more. :laugh:

Authorities are delaying charges until he gets out of the behavioral health unit (or, 'mental hospital', for you old-timers).

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
He was just a power shopper. Just git my shit an" git out!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online