Driveline clunk, checklist or what to look for?

Playsinsnow

Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
So today when starting up the trusty TB, it clunked/shook forward REAL hard right at startup. This clunk has happened in the past every third blue moon but today it was a "wtf, that can't be normal". I also get a clunk every now and then going uphill at 90degree turns (almost always a right hand turn) but judging by the sound coming from the rear on that and the clunk today FELT like it was right under me.
Could this just be that I need to change the fluid asap? They both have almost 25k miles on the diff/tc fluid change (Tb has 116k miles and Ive changed those fluids at about 50k and 92k). I now plan on changing the diff fluids and tc fluid on the next oil change in the next few weeks, what should I look for when I am crawling around under there? I'm hoping a simple fluid exchange will eliminate this or at least won't make something break! If I have to replace parts, it will be added to the short list I plan to complete this summer when its finally paid off. I plan on going with synthetic diff fluid this time around.
Thanks in advance, I only periodically checked the u-joints and having never had to replace one or anything really on the drivetrain on any ride I have had, Don't quite know what's acceptable "play" and what's not. That loud&violent clunk is a real mind screw right now because I just threw new plugs in yesterday and was feeling great about how well the TB is running after 6years of me driving it.
Any chance coming to a stop with brake still depressed and killing engine may cause it to clunk when it starts back up?
I am currently browsing old threads from the os, but I figured most of the knowledge moved here-hoping some may have this issue resolved?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online

No members online now.