Drag Reduction Clips

TequilaWarrior

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Central Pennsylvania
I'm putting together a "to-do" list of sorts and it includes new front and rear calipers and brackets, new wheel hubs, new brake hoses and new rear brake hardware(adjusters and the like). I also have on the list drag reduction clips.
RockAuto lists Raybestos H6013 drag reduction clips for the front of our vehicles - I've used them before and have a new set sitting on the shelf.
In the past I've also installed rear drag reduction clips (H6014) but those are no longer offered and my old ones are.... well, I don't know where they are.... "eaten" would be my best guess.
So, I ordered the rear drag reduction clips from Amazon. Raybestos H6014.... what showed up? Caliper slide pin boots.... I'll be returning them.

I guess I have 2 questions:
Does anyone have a good source for REAR drag reduction clips for the GMT360?
Will a set of FRONT drag reduction clips fit on the rear? (I'm guessing, "no".)

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
I'm putting together a "to-do" list of sorts and it includes new front and rear calipers and brackets, new wheel hubs, new brake hoses and new rear brake hardware(adjusters and the like). I also have on the list drag reduction clips.
RockAuto lists Raybestos H6013 drag reduction clips for the front of our vehicles - I've used them before and have a new set sitting on the shelf.
In the past I've also installed rear drag reduction clips (H6014) but those are no longer offered and my old ones are.... well, I don't know where they are.... "eaten" would be my best guess.
So, I ordered the rear drag reduction clips from Amazon. Raybestos H6014.... what showed up? Caliper slide pin boots.... I'll be returning them.

I guess I have 2 questions:
Does anyone have a good source for REAR drag reduction clips for the GMT360?
Will a set of FRONT drag reduction clips fit on the rear? (I'm guessing, "no".)
I'm at a lose what are the drag reduction clips?

Reactions: Redbeard

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I'm at a lose what are the drag reduction clips?
They're little springs that pushes the pads back.

I didn't even know there were some for the rears. Came up empty on RA, just the fronts. Never used them myself.

Reactions: xavierny25

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
So *that's* what those things are for? LOL :duh: :laugh:

I did F/R brakes on my SOB (some other brand) recently, and the old brakes had them. But there were so many 'belt & suspenders' things on this brand (like two JIS screws per rotor, which I had to drill 7 of 8 out -- and, yes, JIS, not Phillips), that I didn't bother with replacing them, even though my (Raybestos) pad kits came with new ones.

I've never seen a GM vehicle using these, btw, if that gives you a hint as to how many vehicles are running around without them. Nor have I seen a replacement pad kit for GM vehicles contain them. (note that my recent GM experiences center around 2003 MY trucks)

The best thing you can do for 'anti-drag', IMO, is to clean the caliper slide pins thoroughly, replace the boots (and rubber surrounds, if your pins have them), and use a silicone-based high-temp brake lubricant on the slide pins / hardware / pad backs, where indicated (Sil-Glyde, CRC Silaramic, etc.)

Don't use the green Permatex lubricant (which is great stuff, otherwise) around the rubber components -- it'll literally swell the rubber within 5min (at least, it did on my SOB).

And to answer the OPs question about the clips -- no, front clips won't fit rear calipers, as they're a different size. As for sourcing them, if you really still want them -- I'll bet the GM online parts houses have them, if your pad kits don't have them in the box.

Last edited:

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y

I didn't even know there were some for the rears. Came up empty on RA, just the fronts. Never used them myself.
Hmm. Thanks for clearing that up. I continue to learn something new everyday. Never heard or seen these before period.

TequilaWarrior

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Central Pennsylvania

RockAuto is where I bought them last. They no longer carry the rears.... Raybestos appears to have reissued the part number to a different part. Raybestos H6013 is the front and H6014 was the rear.

I always clean and relube the pins/glides/etc using synthetic brake grease. I've been using the same tube for probably 10 or more years and still have most of it left. I don't usually replace the boots (unless they show clear signs of needing replaced), but the caliper kits I bought include new boots.

I didn't run them until about 6 years or so ago, and then they got "eaten" by the brakes. I've only recently come to accept that my front calipers are hanging up - that's likely what scorched my rotors when I installed.

I'm wanting to give them a go again after replacing calipers to see if it helps reduce the heat my rotors are building up.
I'll not drive myself crazy trying to source new rears... but will install the fronts and try to be mindful of them so I can report back on their usefulness.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I appreciate it.

Now I'm left with a more difficult decision.... whether I should paint the new rear calipers and brackets (which are new castings coated in a silvery anti-corrosion finish) to match the red powder coat on the new front calipers and brackets (rebuilds).... RockAuto had powder coated front kits but were out of rears...

Reactions: Reprise

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online