Double Din

bravader

Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
Would be cool so see some pics of double dins installed in bravadas/TBs,and envoys. And more importantly any problems you had getting it to fit?

Me007gold

Nov 20, 2011
DSC_0724.jpg

Fit perfectly, no problems at all

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Here is what I have, cheaper one also but is great!! Just do not get a lemon like I did lol

Sorry the pic is really old and the car is dirty

Attachments

• 2010-11-19_14-12-46_94.jpg
    2010-11-19_14-12-46_94.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 41

bravader

Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
ItsOnVoy said:
Here is what I have, cheaper one also but is great!! Just do not get a lemon like I did lol

Sorry the pic is really old and the car is dirty

Whats the make and model of that?

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
bravader said:
Whats the make and model of that?

It's a Jenson vm9224

Here is a whole list of them on eBay which is where I got it, the price changes as you get more with it etc

jenson vm9224 | eBay

Dad-O-Matic

Dec 5, 2011
View attachment 20095
bravader said:
Would be cool so see some pics of double dins installed in bravadas/TBs,and envoys. And more importantly any problems you had getting it to fit?

I had trouble with the plastic bulkhead behind the stock stereo. My JVC is about 2 inches longer so I had to cut the bulkhead down about an inch. Other than that I love the upgrade.

Attachments

• P1010063.jpg
    P1010063.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 45

06Envoy

Dec 4, 2011
I've noticed something.
All of the pics posted up so far are of 6.1"?
Isn't the one that the OP is thinking about buying a 7"?

Will a 7" fit in our dash?

I bought a 6.1" Kenwood for myself, it won't get installed until next months meet n greet at Harmless's place though.
I picked the smaller unit because Crutchfield says the 6.1's fit but the 7" don't without modification.

I'm interested in this thread to see if anyone has installed a 7". Let's see those pics!

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
06Envoy said:
I've noticed something.
All of the pics posted up so far are of 6.1"?
Isn't the one that the OP is thinking about buying a 7"?

Will a 7" fit in our dash?

I bought a 6.1" Kenwood for myself, it won't get installed until next months meet n greet at Harmless's place though.
I picked the smaller unit because Crutchfield says the 6.1's fit but the 7" don't without modification.

I'm interested in this thread to see if anyone has installed a 7". Let's see those pics!

a 7" would fit in the dash, the difference between the 6.1" and the 7" is that the buttons and knob on the left side in the 6.1" is removed and they use that extra space for the screen. So with the 7" it is all pretty much touch screen and some 7" will have really small thin buttons along the bottom of the screen.

Dad-O-Matic how is that JVC? Because I was looking to a JVC one myself but it had bad reviews saying it resets itself too often

Dad-O-Matic

Dec 5, 2011
ItsOnVoy said:
Dad-O-Matic how is that JVC? Because I was looking to a JVC one myself but it had bad reviews saying it resets itself too often

I love it haven't had any problems. I'm still using my stock Bose amp and speakers and I think the sound is much better.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Here is my 7" DD... Pioneer AVH4300...

2011-03-09132829.jpg

bravader

Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
Anybody know of a cheaper model that lets you change the wallpaper? Would be nice to see the oldsmobile logo when I fire up the beast. And makes it look even more factory.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
bravader said:
Anybody know of a cheaper model that lets you change the wallpaper? Would be nice to see the oldsmobile logo when I fire up the beast. And makes it look even more factory.

2012-03-18162840.jpg

You mean like that? :raspberry:... I'm no sure if the "cheaper" ones are capable of pasting a photo... but the pioneer you can

bravader

Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
Dad-O-Matic said:
View attachment 5721

I had trouble with the plastic bulkhead behind the stock stereo. My JVC is about 2 inches longer so I had to cut the bulkhead down about an inch. Other than that I love the upgrade.

Cool is that the JVC KW-AVX740?

bravader

Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
Boricua SS said:
2012-03-18162840.jpg

You mean like that? :raspberry:... I'm no sure if the "cheaper" ones are capable of pasting a photo... but the pioneer you can

WOW I thought that was only possible in the Intrigue to change the color of the bulbs to blue. I almost got an Intrigue before the Bravada. How hard was that to do?

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
bravader said:
WOW I thought that was only possible in the Intrigue to change the color of the bulbs to blue. I almost got an Intrigue before the Bravada. How hard was that to do?

Ohhhhhh.. that's a whole nother world my friend.. check out the LED mod thread... all your answers are in there... you need to be handy with a soldering iron to change the bulbs

bravader

Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
Anybody install one of these themself? I never installed a head unit so just wondering the difficulty involved. I know how to take apart dash and all that.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
bravader said:
Anybody install one of these themself? I never installed a head unit so just wondering the difficulty involved. I know how to take apart dash and all that.

IMO, that's the hardest part! :biggrin:

bravader

Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
I think I got it. Correct me if I am wrong. But first I would connect the new headunit wires to the vehicle specific wiring harness that I bought,and seal the connections with electrical tape. Then take apart dash,disconnect factory radio,and then the harness simply snaps into existing factory connectors?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
bravader said:
I think I got it. Correct me if I am wrong. But first I would connect the new headunit wires to the vehicle specific wiring harness that I bought,and seal the connections with electrical tape. Then take apart dash,disconnect factory radio,and then the harness simply snaps into existing factory connectors?

:yes: That's pretty much it. May be a little more complicated if you start adding in peripherals like a backup camera, steering wheel controls, or other stuff like that. But you have the right idea.

bravader

Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
Blckshdw said:
:yes: That's pretty much it. May be a little more complicated if you start adding in peripherals like a backup camera, steering wheel controls, or other stuff like that. But you have the right idea.

When you say that taking apart dash is the hardest part were you joking? Reason why I ask is because I never took apart my dash in the Bravada before. But I have done it and other cars and it was a breeze.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
bravader said:
When you say that taking apart dash is the hardest part were you joking? Reason why I ask is because I never took apart my dash in the Bravada before. But I have done it and other cars and it was a breeze.

Not that it's super difficult or anything, but relatively speaking, attaching an adapter to your new radio, and plugging in some connectors in the dash is comparatively easier. I've taken apart the dash in a TB and Envoy, but not a Bravada. I can't imagine it's too much different. A couple screws here, couple clips there. If you've done it in other vehicles before, then it won't make you break much of a sweat. Hope that makes a lil more sense.

bravader

Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
Ok cool I gonna go ahead and attempt the install myself. I just called Custom Sound and they wanted $300 to install.$450 if I have factory amp because they would have to do a rewire?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
bravader said:
Ok cool I gonna go ahead and attempt the install myself. I just called Custom Sound and they wanted $300 to install.$450 if I have factory amp because they would have to do a rewire?

Or charge you for the Bose radio adapter, which is pricey as hell :ugh:

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
$300 to install is bull!! you shouldn't pay anymore then $100 for a place to install something.

bravader

Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
ItsOnVoy said:
$300 to install is bull!! you shouldn't pay anymore then $100 for a place to install something.

Yep he was like $150 to install the head unit $150 to install Gps antenna. And another $150 IF I have factory amp.

bravader

Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
Nevermind I just found out the the GMOS thing is. I'm scared to istall headunit myself now. Anybody know anything about GMOS installation.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
bravader said:
Yep he was like $150 to install the head unit $150 to install Gps antenna. And another $150 IF I have factory amp.

Wow that crazy!! Too much!

Also the GMOS-04 is a harness you will need to install the HU, it will keep your door chime, onstar and stuff. It's a fair price on ebay, bestbuy didn't tell me I needed that harness so I bought the wrong one since they told me which one to get. Then come to find out I will loose door chime etc so I had to get raped on price and pay them what they charge

[EBAY]290693436277[/EBAY]
Me007gold said:
Best buy installed mine for $60, I bought the GMOS-04 off of ebay for $35 NIB.

Best buy charged me $100 to install mine :frown: It was an advanced install that is why

06Envoy

Dec 4, 2011
bravader said:

Wait! Wah?
Sorry for the newb question.
I'm about to do my install as well.

I got all my adapters and stuff from Sonix Electronics.
I got the;
Axxess ASWI-JACK - for the steering wheel controls
Metra GMOS-014 - for the onstar, door chimes and rear seat entertainment, etc
And the Kenwood bluetooth module.
Oh, and a faceplate?

However, I didn't get a vehicle specific wiring harness or a BOSE AMP Adapter.
Do I require those?
Can anyone please provide part #'s?
Doesn't the GMOS-014 work with the BOSE Amp?

Sorry for the thread jack of sorts, but it's a very related topic???

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
06Envoy said:
Wait! Wah?
Sorry for the newb question.
I'm about to do my install as well.

I got all my adapters and stuff from Sonix Electronics.
I got the;
Axxess ASWI-JACK - for the steering wheel controls
Metra GMOS-014 - for the onstar, door chimes and rear seat entertainment, etc
And the Kenwood bluetooth module.
Oh, and a faceplate?

However, I didn't get a vehicle specific wiring harness or a BOSE AMP Adapter.
Do I require those?
Can anyone please provide part #'s?
Doesn't the GMOS-014 work with the BOSE Amp?

Sorry for the thread jack of sorts, but it's a very related topic???

:undecided: From what I can tell, I don't think the GMOS-014 is meant for a Bose system. Maybe someone else knows for sure?

GMOS-014 Product Features

GM Factory Integration Interface OnStar & Chime Retention Module
For 2000-up Select GM vehicles
Designed to retain Onstar and warning chimes that are normally lost when OEM radio is removed
Provides a 12 volt accessory output for aftermarket radio operation
Mute/ parking brake/ vss or speed sense
Reverse output to make installing an aftermarket navigation radio simple
Authorized Internet Dealer
1-year Manufacturer's warranty

GMOS-04 Product Features:

Interface designed to allow for the replacement of the OEM Radio with an aftermarket unit in amplified GM Vehicles with Premium or Bose audio systems
Retains full functionality of the OnStar system with adjustable volume output
Retains safety and warning chimes with adjustable level output
Retains the Retained Accessory Power (RAP) convenience features
Required outputs for the installation of a navigation radio
USB Update interface compatible
Navigation outputs now included
Authorized Internet Dealer
1-year Manufacturer's warranty
Check the Product Instructions to see basic instructions and compatibility list for the Metra GMOS-04

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
Bravader Your in St.Louis don't pay anyone to install anything the shops here are morons! I would be willing to help ya for sure!

IMAG0344.jpg

Me007gold

Nov 20, 2011
ItsOnVoy said:
Best buy charged me $100 to install mine :frown: It was an advanced install that is why

I had everything disassembled before I went in, so all they had to do was wire up the harness and screw in the mounting bracket.

bravader

Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
STLtrailbSS said:
Bravader Your in St.Louis don't pay anyone to install anything the shops here are morons! I would be willing to help ya for sure!

IMAG0344.jpg

Cool,what part of St.Louis are you in? I'm in north county Florissant area. Cool wallpaper on that HU to btw.

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
bravader said:
Cool,what part of St.Louis are you in? I'm in north county Florissant area. Cool wallpaper on that HU to btw.

Metro STL 40 and Hampton By Forest Park

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
STLtrailbSS said:

bravader said:

As long as it's not your front speakers, you'll be OK!! :hopeless: :duh: :rotfl:

I'll let him explain that one

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online