double din installation problems: knob on back of OEM does not exist on new stereo

Shana7711

Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
Ok, so when going to install the new radio and checking the fit and fixing dash kit i realized that there is nothing holding up the back of the radio. The OEM stereo has a plastic knob on the back that fits into a hole in the dash, which stabilizes the radio. without this i only have the three screws on the front to hold the radio in place, i figure the plastic dash kit that the screws go through will just crack.
Here is the OEM Stereo with white knob
View attachment 25684
View attachment 25685

here is where the knob fits, little hole is almost exactly in the middle of the opening for the dash
View attachment 25686
View attachment 25687

please help me lol, without this knob the radio does not sit right, the back of it goes down, and the three front screws will not support the whole thing i dont think.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 203
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 204
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 29

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
That little knob unscrews, and you should have gotten a peice to slide into a groove on the new aftermarket radio, to screw that knob onto.

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
every double din i have installed in a trailblazer, i've had to break off that plastic piece in the dash. the aftermarket radios are usually deeper than the stock radio and don't sit properly because of that plastic back there.

yes, it is only supported by the three screws in the front

View attachment 25688
i just grab it with a pair of pliers and snap it off at the red lines

Attachments

• cut.jpg
    cut.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 52

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
If you have the proper cage then it should have the provision for the white stud. Just swap it from the factory radio.

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
if you have seen a double din mounting kit that came with a metal cage then please post pics

Shana7711

Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
There is no where to hook up the knob on the kenwood 6160, and I did not get anything to do this with the dash kit or the stereo. The plastic piece in the dash is not a problem, the aftermarket stereo I got has almost the exact same dimensions as the oem, just no knob :sadcry:

Here is the back of the new one
View attachment 25689

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 37

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
jimmyjam said:
if you have seen a double din mounting kit that came with a metal cage then please post pics

Just type double din cage gm in google. Came back with a bunch of pics.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Just bolt it to the front and don't worry about the back. Most aftermarkets won't mount with the pin in the back anyway. I've never been able to with any of my aftermarket units.

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
the dimensions are the same, but compare where the wires connect to the hu vs the stock hu. then look at that picture and think about where those wires go

the knob is irrelevant

Shana7711

Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
Sparky said:
Just bolt it to the front and don't worry about the back. Most aftermarkets won't mount with the pin in the back anyway. I've never been able to with any of my aftermarket units.

I don't think that the plastic piece that goes over the front of the radio can support the weight of it by it self. It would break easily if I hit a bump I think

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
CaptainXL said:
If you have the proper cage then it should have the provision for the white stud. Just swap it from the factory radio.

CaptainXL said:
don't see any with a back where you could connect the white stub

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
I would think a proper install would require a knob on the back else you risk breaking the plastic bezel on the front.

Shana7711

Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
CaptainXL said:

I have that cage, it doesn't do anything tho. Just fits over the radio and doesn't attach to anything. The metal pieces you bend out don't seem to have a way to secure it either

- - - Updated - - -

CaptainXL said:

I have that cage, it doesn't do anything tho. Just fits over the radio and doesn't attach to anything. The metal pieces you bend out don't seem to have a way to secure it either

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
Shana7711 said:
I don't think that the plastic piece that goes over the front of the radio can support the weight of it by it self. It would break easily if I hit a bump I think

i've had two different trailblazers with double dins in them, 8 years combined with no issues

this thread is starting to drive me NUTS :crazy:

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
:iagree: this is my first time reading this thread and it drove me nuts too :crackup:

Ive had a DD HU in my SS for over 3 yrs now, same thing for my friends Envoy.. first thing we did, hacked off that damn hole where the white stud on the factory radio went.. without cutting it out, the HU wont fit... all has been fine.. those 3 screws will hold...

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
CaptainXL said:
I would think a proper install would require a knob on the back else you risk breaking the plastic bezel on the front.

Never have even had stress marks in the plastic from mounting via the front. That's how most aftermarket radio brackets are designed to work is mounting via the front. It does make the radio wiggle and bounce in the dash a bit however.

My single DIN adapter I have uses so many pieces that clip together that the wiggle makes them pop and creak a lot :hissyfit: I have some bits of plastic/cardboard stuck between the dash and bracket to stop that annoying noise right now until I eventually get around to pulling the dash again and plastic welding those pieces together so they stop creaking. Or until I get really ticked off and get a totally different, single piece mounting bracket.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
I am confused did you get an aftermarket install kit or no. If not then go to walmart, etc and pick one up. It has 3 pieces the front and 2 side pieces. The side pieces have slotted holes which line up with threaded holes on the head unit. Once these are tight line up the front screws and you will never have an issue. That HU cannot be much heavier than the other thousands of models that have been installed in the GMT360.

I have done 3 different DD installs all of which never had a knob, but at the same extent I have never removed the plastic in the back to accommodate and have had no issues. The only headunit I had that came with the actual cage was my Panasonic. Never used it either just used the plastic brackets that came with the install kit.

2002 Chevrolet Trailblazer Double DIN Radio Dash Kit | eBay

scorpio1

Dec 12, 2012
It should be fine with only the plastic mount and the 3 screw.
But, If you are really worried about it, you can make yourself a brace to support the head unit. Design if to slip under the rear of the HU, and support it from behind/ below and attach it to some thing behind the Head unit.
Honestly you can find a few good, simple, easy, ways to make a rear support if you insist on it.

If your smart enough to wire an aftermarket HU you should have no problems dealing with this not so big problem.

I have faith in you. :smile:

fadyasha

Dec 21, 2011
I'm a bit late on this but I didn't use the knob either. The aftermarket kit did the job right and holds it in place just like it should! I also had to break the plastic piece in the back so it would fit :thumbsup:

Dad-O-Matic

Dec 5, 2011
jimmyjam said:
every double din i have installed in a trailblazer, i've had to break off that plastic piece in the dash. the aftermarket radios are usually deeper than the stock radio and don't sit properly because of that plastic back there.

yes, it is only supported by the three screws in the front

View attachment 11496
i just grab it with a pair of pliers and snap it off at the red lines

I had to do the same thing. I was concerned about support same as the OP, so I used the metal strap supplied with the stereo, drilled a hole in the metal bar behind that plastic piece and used that to support the back of the stereo. Also made a good place to attach the ground for the stereo.

AV8ER

Apr 19, 2012
Some hu have a threaded hole on the back where you can screw a stud into

Shana7711

Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
Well, Everything has been installed and working :smile:, with a few minor problems...Mostly just that my steering wheel controls are not responding 100% of the time, at least not all of em. The one i have the biggest problem with is the volume, it works about 10% of the time, volume down works more often than up. sometimes if i push harder it helps. This doesnt make any sense to me because there is only one wire that goes to the steering wheel :confused: Other buttons seem to work every time. My only advice so far is to take the unit out and reconfigure the SWI-RC, which is a pain so i have not gotten around to it yet lol.
Here is the Unit :biggrin:
View attachment 25824

Turns out tho that after i spent the money on this, along with the new tires and rims...altogether about 1300-1400 dollars...I ended up having to get some things fixed while in MI over my break (traveled home to see family since i go to school in NC). After a thermostat fix of some kind and alignment, and a new battery, I spent about 350. THEN!! Today i found out that the gas i have been smelling...the leak was from the fuel pump and one of those is gunna b 325, along with labor another 200. After taxes (and oil change and some other little part), i am spending another 600 :mad::frown: sucks to find this out when you already spent your extra money...
The mechanic actually recommended i get a new (used) car since all of the rust on this one he figures will cost me a lot in the next 2.5 years while i finish school. LAST TIME I EVER BUY A USED CAR THAT LIVED IN THE NORTH!!! im getting some more opinions, and would like to keep my car cuz i really love it. Anyway, gunna start a thread on this elsewhere to get some more input!
Thought everyone deserved a picture after the install :smile:

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 20

Ed H

Oct 18, 2012
That HU looks AWESOME! :thumbsup:

I plan to install mine tomorrow (Pioneer AVH-P4400HD). Did you override the parking brake? :lipsrsealed:

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
Shana7711 said:
Well, Everything has been installed and working :smile:, with a few minor problems...Mostly just that my steering wheel controls are not responding 100% of the time, at least not all of em. The one i have the biggest problem with is the volume, it works about 10% of the time, volume down works more often than up. sometimes if i push harder it helps. This doesnt make any sense to me because there is only one wire that goes to the steering wheel :confused: Other buttons seem to work every time. My only advice so far is to take the unit out and reconfigure the SWI-RC, which is a pain so i have not gotten around to it yet lol.

Were the controls working 100% with the factory radio?

Shana7711

Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
Ed H - Yes :smile: i just grounded that wire to the HU lol, secured it under one of the screws.

May03LT - Yes everything worked perfectly before the install, didnt have to press hard on buttons or anything. although some of the lights have gone out under the buttons lol

Ed H

Oct 18, 2012
Grounding is fine, but you will likely need a relay or in-line switch to view DVDs without the parking brake on. Have you tried it? Just curious.

Shana7711

Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
DVDs work just fine :smile: watched one on the drive from MI to NC haha.

One other problem i have that i forgot about too, My back right speaker is not putting out any sound. I am not sure if it was like this before the install or not though. I double checked the wiring and connections, even took off that door panel to look at the speaker. couldnt find anything wrong. i would be surprised if i blew a speaker, but even then it would still produce noise right?
What to do next?

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
Shana7711 said:
DVDs work just fine :smile: watched one on the drive from MI to NC haha.

One other problem i have that i forgot about too, My back right speaker is not putting out any sound. I am not sure if it was like this before the install or not though. I double checked the wiring and connections, even took off that door panel to look at the speaker. couldnt find anything wrong. i would be surprised if i blew a speaker, but even then it would still produce noise right?
What to do next?

I helped my friend change out stock speakers on his Sierra last weekend. Before we installed the speakers we attached a basic test light to the speaker terminals and turned up the volume and watched the light come on to make sure it was getting power. I guess a multi meter would work as well.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Was it an LED test light, or one with a standard bulb, and did the intensity increase with volume? We could make a light intensity wattage meter, and use samples images to match the wattage. Sort of like the NAVY/MARINES hydraulic contamination patch test.

M926006-06%5B40109-ALL%5D.jpg

Long story short, you run hydraulic fluid through a sort of rice paper and you match the color when finished with a book. Mine never match any of the pictures. I prefer the laser unit more.

Ok sorry for going OT.

The bypass procedure depends on the manufacturer. Every HU I have owned just needed to be grounded. My fiancee's needed to have a cycle done. Installed a swtich which bridged the brake wire to a ground, flip it on, off, on, off, on and the dvd will play. Being as it is illegal to have a screen within driver view it works well if we get pulled over to flip it off (have not had to yet).

Shana the HU looks awesome.

Ed H

Oct 18, 2012
I just finished my DVD HU install today. A little off topic, possibly, but this is how I tackled the parking brake. I could not find a SPDT relay anywhere, so I used a switch instead. It works like a charm! :yes: If you want the DVD to play, just push the button. :thumbsup:

View attachment 25857

Attachments

• P1050086.jpg
    P1050086.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 14

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
blazinlow89 said:
Was it an LED test light, or one with a standard bulb, and did the intensity increase with volume?

This is what I have, a regular bulb. I've had it for a long time. And yes the intensity increases with the volume and flashes to the beat of the music. lol.

Attachments

• DSC03040.jpg
    DSC03040.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 5

Kdizzydawg

Apr 14, 2013
Shana7711 said:
:smile:

Not sure if this is resolved, but I have just recently installed a pioneer hu in my envoy, and I have had issues with the swi-ps, due to different voltages in truck setting it off! Anyways I finally came across a fix for the erratic behaviour from the swi-ps module! So yea all you do is add a .47 mfd capicitor between the green wire and chassis ground! The long end of capicitor(positive) goes to green wire and short end (negative) to ground! Reprogram with truck running and the problems will disappear!! This should work on any PAC SWI!! Try it out:thumbsup:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jesussaves

Members Online

No members online now.