Dorman transmission pan

tblazerdude

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
I got the truck a Christmas present; a dorman 265811 transmission pan w/ drain plug. Since I was changing the transmission fluid, I figured a new pan with the drain plug would make future changes much more simplistic. It was only $35. Has anyone used Castrol Dexron VI? It's expensive... ($8) :eek:

Castrol/1 qt. DEXRON VI premium synthetic blend automatic transmission fluid for use in GM vehicles (06822) | Transmission Fluid | AutoZone.com

Trans pan;

Amazon.com: Dorman 265-811 Transmission Oil Pan: Automotive

Has anyone else upgraded to this pan? What kind of fluid would you recommend?

Wex

Dec 4, 2011
I installed that transmission pan to my Trailblazer. Was a perfect fit but the metal plug gasket would seep fluid. I used nylon drain plug gasket Dorman 65270 to cure the issue.

tblazerdude

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
where can I find TranSynd? (advance auto did not carry it) Any thoughts on not using the recommended dexVI? Mobil 1 / Royal Purple make transmission fluid but they don't say anything about being compatible with dexVI.

strat81

Dec 29, 2011
I put Valvoline Max Life Dex/Merc in my Rainier over 10k miles ago. It appears to be working fine.

According to Valvoline's product page for ML Dex/Merc, it is fully synthetic and meets Dex VI specs:
http://valvoline.com/pdf/maxlife_atf.pdf

I purchased mine at Advanced Auto in the gallon containers. If you sign up for their e-mails, keep an eye out for the 15% off deals and similar promotions they run.

Mobil's website lists a specific Dex VI product that is a synthetic blend. They also have a Mobil 1 ATF that is listed as fully synthetic that meets Dex III specs. I'd have no problem running any of those in my transmission.

Dad-O-Matic

Dec 5, 2011
tblazerdude said:
Mobil 1 / Royal Purple make transmission fluid but they don't say anything about being compatible with dexVI.

Amsoil and Redline both have Dex VI compatible fluid.

AMSOIL - Synthetic Fuel Efficient Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATL)

"AMSOIL Synthetic Fuel Efficient Automatic Transmission Fluid is recommended for automatic transmissions and other applications requiring DEXRON® VI, MERCON® LV, SP or Toyota WS.

AMSOIL Synthetic Fuel Efficient Automatic Transmission Fluid is backward compatible and replaces DEXRON® III fluids in older GM automatic transmissions. (DEXRON® VI specification supersedes the obsolete DEXRON® III in GM vehicles.)"

Red Line Synthetic Oil - Automatic Transmission Fluids - D6 ATF

"D6 ATF Our lowest viscosity, most shear-stable ATF for consistent operation
Designed to satisfy Dexron-VI®, Dexron-III®, Dexron-II®, Mercon®SP and Mercedes Benz NAG-2 fluids
Also satisfies API 70W/75W/80W and GL-4 gear oil requirements"

zamimj222

Dec 22, 2011
Illinois
Wex said:
I installed that transmission pan to my Trailblazer. Was a perfect fit but the metal plug gasket would seep fluid. I used nylon drain plug gasket Dorman 65270 to cure the issue.

How tight or torque spec do you use on the drain bolt?

Wex

Dec 4, 2011
zamimj222 said:
How tight or torque spec do you use on the drain bolt?

Originally I tightened it down the transmission plug much tighter than I normally do the motor oil drainplug. With the new nylon gasket, I tightened the transmission plug just slightly more than the oil.

zamimj222

Dec 22, 2011
Illinois
Dad-O-Matic said:
Amsoil and Redline both have Dex VI compatible fluid.

AMSOIL - Synthetic Fuel Efficient Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATL)

"AMSOIL Synthetic Fuel Efficient Automatic Transmission Fluid is recommended for automatic transmissions and other applications requiring DEXRON® VI, MERCON® LV, SP or Toyota WS.

AMSOIL Synthetic Fuel Efficient Automatic Transmission Fluid is backward compatible and replaces DEXRON® III fluids in older GM automatic transmissions. (DEXRON® VI specification supersedes the obsolete DEXRON® III in GM vehicles.)"

Red Line Synthetic Oil - Automatic Transmission Fluids - D6 ATF

"D6 ATF Our lowest viscosity, most shear-stable ATF for consistent operation
Designed to satisfy Dexron-VI®, Dexron-III®, Dexron-II®, Mercon®SP and Mercedes Benz NAG-2 fluids
Also satisfies API 70W/75W/80W and GL-4 gear oil requirements"
Penzoil still makes a dexron replacement oil. Either Dexron III or VI. They do have both still. I used to use nothing but Penzoil in my cars but have switched to Mobil. Now except the trans, everything is running Mobil products.

zamimj222

Dec 22, 2011
Illinois
Wex said:
Originally I tightened it down the transmission plug much tighter than I normally do the motor oil drainplug. With the new nylon gasket, I tightened the transmission plug just slightly more than the oil.

Thank you!!!

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
zamimj222 said:
Penzoil still makes a dexron replacement oil. Either Dexron III or VI. They do have both still. I used to use nothing but Penzoil in my cars but have switched to Mobil. Now except the trans, everything is running Mobil products.

Sorry if I missed it, but what are you using in the transfer case.

benz01

Jun 2, 2012
Kansas
If changing to this pan, do you need to use another filter? I currently have the stock shallow pan. If I switch to the Dorman 265-811 do I need to switch to the WIX filter for the deep pan? The Dorman site mentions a specific GM filter for oversized pans. Thanks in advance.

benz01

Jun 2, 2012
Kansas
Bump

I'll be changing to this pan sometime this month. Do I need the filter for the deep pan as well as adding 2 additional quarts of ATF?

Thanks in advance.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
My '03 had the OEM deep pan, so when I bought a pan from Ebay that held two extra quarts, I got the filter designed for the OEM deep pan. I've had no problems.

seanpooh

Jan 24, 2012
Yes you will need the deep pan filter. WIX is a top pick. You can find the part number on the Amsoil website for deep pans. It will come with this cork along with the gasket. You don't have to change the cork if the filter fits snug.

It would be a good idea to flush the tranny first and then change the filter. This way it gets all the fluid out of the torque converter.

Lima Tango

Dec 4, 2011
How does one tell if they have the OEM deep pan or a shallow pan? I'm a visual guy so pictures would win you extra cool points.

Thanks,

LT

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Lima Tango said:
How does one tell if they have the OEM deep pan or a shallow pan? I'm a visual guy so pictures would win you extra cool points.

Thanks,

LT

The shallow pan has a flat bottom.
The deep pan has a stepped bottom.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Lima Tango said:
A small step in it off to one side, like ~1/2" deep? That's what mine has.

Yup. That's it.
IIRC, the shallow pan was only used in the 2002 and maybe early 2003 models.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
My 2002 has a deep pan.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Ditto, deep pan in mine too.

seanpooh

Jan 24, 2012
I did have a shallow pan until I had to rebuild the tranny when the sunshell went out. The trannyshop threw in the deep pan for free which also have a drain plug.

benz01

Jun 2, 2012
Kansas
benz01 said:
Bump

I'll be changing to this pan sometime this month. Do I need the filter for the deep pan as well as adding 2 additional quarts of ATF?

Thanks in advance.

Upon further review, turns out I have the OEM deep pan. So the filter question is answered but I am still not 100% sure if I need the extra 2qts of ATF. According to the vehicle specs if the trans pan is removed, 5 qts needs to go back in. With this aftermarket Dorman pan does this change to 7 qts when the filter is replaced and the pan is removed?

Again, thank you in advance.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Just get extra. Worst case you shelve a couple quarts for use later. When I flushed my transmission it took like 8 quarts or something to fill it all the way back up (I forget exactly). The manual doesn't tell you the total transmission capacity.

rmsg0040

Dec 10, 2011
benz01 said:
Upon further review, turns out I have the OEM deep pan. So the filter question is answered but I am still not 100% sure if I need the extra 2qts of ATF. According to the vehicle specs if the trans pan is removed, 5 qts needs to go back in. With this aftermarket Dorman pan does this change to 7 qts when the filter is replaced and the pan is removed?

Again, thank you in advance.

I think it still would be 5 quarts. Just fill with 5 then check the level afterwards.

tblazerdude

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
I found that about 5.2 quarts came out with a new filter and pan drop; using the drain plug, about 4.5 quarts.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
My OEM pan was the deep one and called for 5 qts. when doing a pan drop and filter change. I bought an extra deep pan from Ebay that required 2 extra qts.
Also, IIRC, a complete fluid swap uses about 12-14 quarts.
I don't know what brand my replacement is or if the Dorman calls for more than stock, but as stated above, buy extra. You can keep it for future changes, or return it.

benz01

Jun 2, 2012
Kansas
tblazerdude said:
I found that about 5.2 quarts came out with a new filter and pan drop; using the drain plug, about 4.5 quarts.

Did the pan swap and fluid change today...what a freakin mess (G-rated version). Glad this thread came along and I got the Dorman pan. Should make it so much easier and cleaner then next time. After getting the new pan on and 5 quarts in I let the trans warm up and worked it through all of the gears. When I checked the fluid level it seemed perfect. So I am guessing that Dorman doesn't know that there is a stock, deep pan on our trucks (or doesn't care). Anyways, I love this message board where help and ideas are shared freely.

Spalding1028

Jan 20, 2012
I'm gonna be flushing/changing to the dorman tomorrow (it's been sitting around for about 2 weeks waiting to go in)

am-radio

Apr 24, 2012
I know this is an old thread, but is the dorman pan listed the same pan for the 5.3 V8 and the 4.2 I6?
Also, what tranny filter does everyone recommend? Genuine GM, Wix, Napa, etc??

strat81

Dec 29, 2011
am-radio said:
I know this is an old thread, but is the dorman pan listed the same pan for the 5.3 V8 and the 4.2 I6?
Also, what tranny filter does everyone recommend? Genuine GM, Wix, Napa, etc??

The engines use the same transmission. You need to buy the appropriate filter for the pan style you have, not the engine you have. You'll have to crawl underneath and check.

My 2004 5.3L has a deep pan behind it.

One of these days I'll get around to ordering a pan like this:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/trd-9741/overview/

Built in plug plus an additional 2qt capacity.

I doubt you'll have problems with an OEM, NAPA, or Wix filter, as all three tend to be well made. Make sure the filter includes a gasket, otherwise you should buy one before you leave the parts store.

I've been running Valvoline Maxlife ATF for almost 30k miles and I have not noticed any problems.

Mypetropig

Dec 29, 2011
I am going to be doing the flush procedure soon as well as adding a drain plug and I see all this info about pans etc, does anybody know the torquing pattern for the bolts. I've seen several posts that vary about how much to torque the bolts. Some say 97in lbs and others 120in lbs, which is it? Also, what is the best spot to add the plug to a deep factory pan?

seanpooh

Jan 24, 2012
I just checked my Haynes manual. It's 120 in per lbs for 2002 and 2003 models. It is 97 for 2004 and later models. As for torquing pattern, I would start from the middle of each side and work my way to the corners. I actually never followed a pattern when I put the pan back on not that it's not important. I just didn't know there was a pattern for the pan.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yep. All the AllData manual says is to torque the bolts alternately and evenly, no actual pattern shown.

Mypetropig

Dec 29, 2011
Alright then, 120in lbs for my model year and alternately and evenly it is. Thanks guys.:smile:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.