Dorman replacement HVAC controls

emedlin

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
Got tried of the temp knob not working, paint wearing off, and lights burned out. So, I ordered RNB-599-211 for our 04 Envoy XUV. It looks real nice and has bright LEDs. The strange thing is the DIC will randomly display the ICE Possible warning even when it is 60 degrees outside. I have tried two units now with the same results. The OEM one doesn't do this. It has to be close to freezing for it to display the warning. Has anyone else used one of these and had the same problem, or maybe know how to fix it? I also just emailed Dorman about it, but figured someone here has probably replaced theirs also.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
What outdoor temp is it showing? It uses the temp sensor mounted just in front of the radiator for that. That sensor might be defective.

emedlin

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
The outdoor temp on the unit shows the real outside temperature. Thought about the sensor. But, the first one I got showed the warning and had a bad LED. So, I had them send me a new one. Between swapping the old and new one out, I had to put my old OEM one back in. It no longer displayed the warning. So, I don't think it is the sensor.

Also Dorman emailed me back almost instantly asking for my VIN number and said it might be a software issue. There next email just came while typing this. They said they haven't seen this before, but recommended returning it and getting 599-017. That will be a re-manufactured unit, but will come with Delco software. They believe that will fix it. Just hate shipping it back, again.

emedlin

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
Yeah, the 599-017 re-manufactured one runs for around $400, but you get around $200 back when you return your core. But, still $50 more than the RNB-599-211 which is around $150. Wish I could just disable the warning somehow.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I wonder if maybe it needs to be programmed via a Tech 2?

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
you might try cleaning the connections associated with the outside sensor, at either end... but probably closer to sensor end.

I see the same "warning" on occasion. It is a "simple resistance sensor" which means it can "provide a resistive error" easily especially at "power on" if any connection is dirty and takes a "bit of voltage" to initially "burn thru".

emedlin

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
Well the second one had an LED go out. This time the one on the screen that shows what vents are in use. So, I sent it back for a refund and just put my old one back in. The ice warning has went away, so it must be a problem with the RNB-599-211 and the 04 Envoy XUV's. I guess my only option now is to live with the old one or replace it with a remanufactured 599-017, as I don't have the skill to open it up and fix all the bad lights and bad temp knob. Not to mention the black paint is wearing off of it.

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
I don't believe its that hard to open the unit up and solder in new LEDs. I'd check eBay, I had decent luck with the refurb units that offer a core charge for the old one.

Dorman is pretty junky for stuff like this. I ordered up a replacement volume knob for my Avalanche since the current one is worn away, and the light is out to illuminate them at night. The first one didn't work, the second one does, but only half the switches actually light up at night.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Nice to know I am not the only one with a XUV having the exact same issues as you. I have been looking for a NOS that doesnt brake the bank. My temp Knob, you have to just keep spinning it, sooner or later, many miles down the road, you will get to the temp you want. All my lights work fortunately on mine. But adjusting that temp is driving me batty.

emedlin

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
At least for mine if you press down on the knob a little and turn it it seems to work better. It will probably fail completely at some point though.

I will try a refurb with a core charge at some point in the future. Shame the Dorman has problems as it looked really nice.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If electricity or electronics are involved, Dorman are as reliable as a Ford Pinto.

Reactions: Redbeard
Feb 29, 2016
Radford, VA
Hey, what did the Pinto ever do to you?

Reactions: xavierny25

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online