NEED HELP Door not closing tight

aaserv

Original poster
Dec 1, 2019
N of Baton Rouge, La.
Ive been saying ever since I got this car that when I hit a bump it sounds like a door is open. Ive searched this that and the other. Had a mechanic give it a once over. No results. Last night Im outside and I walk around to ck all the doors make sure their locked and I feel it...
The passenger door , though latched and seemingly sealed can be moved back and forth every so slightly. Like maybe 1/8" to 1/4". Today i got a closer look at it and dont see a thing.. Nothing looks worn, bent or out of shape at all. I even tried loosening the strike plate? on the body and shoving it as much as possible towards the vehicle before tightening it thinking maybe there was some adjustment there but that did nothing.
When you shut and lock the door you can still move it in and out just enough to cause that irritating rattle..

Im guessing Im going to have to pull the latch off inside the door but cant find any videos on doing it... Hoping someone here has had to change 1 before .....or maybe there is something else causing it Im overlooking????

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I made a write up of replacing the lock actuator, in the article submissions section. No video, but I did take some pics.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Maybe the weatherstripping is not sealing as well as it once did. This guy did a fix that may help:

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
...and jik THIS might loom in the background...

TRAILBLAZERFAILEDOORLATCH.jpg

aaserv

Original poster
Dec 1, 2019
N of Baton Rouge, La.
Ok so its just to hot to do much today. Thanks to Black for posting that article, thats what I was looking for. Somebody who had done it before to give me advance warning on any pifalls.
I did however try something along Moosemans theory. I cut a piece of door strip off the parts car and put it along the only place that felt a lil soft ...across the very top of the door. This DID tighten up the door. I didnt get a chance to drive it but even with it firmly shut now I can push on the door from the outside right at latch level and it moves back and forth. So I think this confirms that the door lock is not grabbing the post firmly.
I think Im going to do that weatherstripping trick to all the doors but Im hoping the latch off my SWB parts car will fit this 1.. Be a few days probably before I can try anything cus it is miserable here right now.....Heat Index close to 115 and the usual 2000% humidity. Not supposed to get a break until middle of next week. Its 9pm right now and the temp is still 95 outside.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I also have to do it on the TB as I get terrible wind noise. Please keep us updated.

ts684

May 29, 2013
What about a sagging door? Think that's what I have, a lot of wind noise, Think I have to replace the door bushings?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher