Door lock tumbler

sandrunner

Original poster
Mar 6, 2019
San Antonio
I think my Envoy has had the ignition replaced at some point as the key won't turn in the door lock. Has anyone tried rekeying a door cylinder to match a new ignition key?

Thanks

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
its possible that the tumbler is "frozen" from "non-use" as most use a fob to open and close locks. Hence, depending on the climate area, the tumbler get crudded up and will not function. Pull the lock and sock / clean to see if it will function there after.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Try using something like THIS... BUT... After the Key Slides inside of the Lock-Work...Only make VERY SLIGHT TURNING efforts. If the Lock will NOT Yield... Try entering from the Passenger Door side next and once you get inside ...open the Driver's Side Door using the Door Handle and then... Manually work the INSIDE Lock-Unlock Mechanism to see if it will Break Free. This stuff ONLY lubricates the Tumbler... NOT all of the Inner Door Levers and Contact Bearings hidden under the Door Panel that ordinarily require treatments with Lubriplate Lithium Grease in certain spots.

Remember... BE VERY GENTLE...

LOCKLUBRICANT.jpg

Reactions: Redbeard

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I'd try using a rust penetrating oil in there first. Fill the lock with it and let it soak a good 15 minutes. Put some more in. Then, using the key, go back and forth to free it up. Try turning it. Put more oil, repeat a few times.

If you need to rekey or disassemble the lock, this is a good tutorial.

Reactions: Redbeard

sandrunner

Original poster
Mar 6, 2019
San Antonio
Thank you for the suggestions. I tried to loosen it up with some dry lube and then a little penetrating oil. In the end I removed the handle and disassembled the lock cylinder. Sure enough 4 of the blades didn't engage with the key I have. I ended up modifying the blades slightly so they work with my key.
Next on the agenda is having another key made.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online