Door Lock Cylinder... and Power Locks??

GS_Geoff

Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
Hey all,

I found several threads discussing issues with the power locks. Apparently there is a rod that falls off or they break because, well, GM isn't good at power locks and windows. Right now, neither passenger side lock works. The driver rear sort of works. It opens, but you can't lock it via the power lock buttons. The rear hatch latch doesn't lock no matter what.

However, in the last few days, my driver side power lock has stopped functioning as well. But what is even more troubling, is the key no longer seems to fit the lock. If I can even get it in, it won't turn. I can't see anything broken off in there, and I very much doubt that is the issue. Maybe something is out of alignment in there? Has anyone had this issue with the key not fitting/working - and if so what was the fix?

Thanks!

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
GS_Geoff said:
Hey all,

I found several threads discussing issues with the power locks. Apparently there is a rod that falls off or they break because, well, GM isn't good at power locks and windows. Right now, neither passenger side lock works. The driver rear sort of works. It opens, but you can't lock it via the power lock buttons. The rear hatch latch doesn't lock no matter what.

However, in the last few days, my driver side power lock has stopped functioning as well. But what is even more troubling, is the key no longer seems to fit the lock. If I can even get it in, it won't turn. I can't see anything broken off in there, and I very much doubt that is the issue. Maybe something is out of alignment in there? Has anyone had this issue with the key not fitting/working - and if so what was the fix?

Thanks!

What year is your vehicle? I think I have a TSB somewhere around here about the rod falling off just like you mentioned. Could you fill out your vehicle information in your profile?

There shouldn't be any sort of alignment issue, it's likely that is the key slot has sat unused for long enough the tumblers may be a bit frozen up. Get some Lock-Eez or something and apply it. Also note that there's also a rod connecting the key cylinder to the latch, I'll have to find that TSB and see if it's this rod or another rod that was reported as coming off a lot.

When you press the door lock button, do you hear the motors operating like they're attempting to move the door lock? Do you also get feedback for the unlock? How about when using the key fob? The lock system wiring in this has a few quirks that may cause funny business.

GS_Geoff

Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
Could have sworn my profile was filled out. Doh. Anyway, I fixed that. It's a 2008 9-7x 5.3i. I do use the key lock sometimes, so it's not like it has been sitting for years. Sometimes I hear the motors working, sometimes not. I need to check each individual door - good point there. I was thinking about trying some white lithium grease or something on the latch itself as well. I noticed most of the latches show some corrosion. Interestingly, when I manually push the locks from inside the car, they work fine. The driver's side does feel a little iffy at times though. I always get a confirmation beep (or two) when using the FOB.

EDIT: GMTNation has no Saab love, heh. 5.3i trim package isn't an option, nor is Obsidian Black.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
javier perez

Members Online