Door Controls Inop - PW, PM, PDL

JimInRadfordVA

Original poster
Feb 29, 2016
Radford, VA
I've got an intermittent problem with my drivers door master window/lock switch. From time to time it will stop working, like when the window is going down it'll stop halfway. All the windows are affected, the power locks and power mirrors are involved as well.

Percussive maintenance (pounding the switch with my left fist) will usually restore operation for a short while.

I'm thinking that the switch is bad. Any way to isolate the problem to the switch rather than the wiring or connector?

Thanks!

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I think 2005 was the first year of the newer DDM, which was then recalled due to failures (and possible fires). Have you ever had it replaced? If not, I'd check on that.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

JimInRadfordVA

Original poster
Feb 29, 2016
Radford, VA
I think 2005 was the first year of the newer DDM, which was then recalled due to failures (and possible fires). Have you ever had it replaced? If not, I'd check on that.

I've not replaced it in my short tenure as its owner. Is there a new vs. old part number that I can check?

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Any replacement switches would be the new switch. The downfall is then you need to get it programmed.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Could grab a used one from a newer one if you know the part number (I'm sorry, I don't, I had an 02).

Glad that GM ditched the whole programmable module idea for window switches when they built the GMT900 platform.

Blackstar

Aug 2, 2014
Do the other door switches work? If so, when it acts up, pull the switch assembly from the passenger side and plug it in on the driver's side, and plug the driver's side in to the passenger side. If the problem stays on the driver's side it could be a wiring problem.

I went almost a year playing around with mine until I traced the wiring harness from the door back. I found a hot wire under the rocker panel cover that had chafed or cracked and grounded itself to the chassis. It's been working perfect ever since.

Mine is a 2002 SLT.

Good luck.

JimInRadfordVA

Original poster
Feb 29, 2016
Radford, VA
Do the other door switches work? If so, when it acts up, pull the switch assembly from the passenger side and plug it in on the driver's side, and plug the driver's side in to the passenger side. If the problem stays on the driver's side it could be a wiring problem.

I went almost a year playing around with mine until I traced the wiring harness from the door back. I found a hot wire under the rocker panel cover that had chafed or cracked and grounded itself to the chassis. It's been working perfect ever since.

Mine is a 2002 SLT.

Good luck.
The passenger side has lock and window only. Drivers has 4 windows, door locks and window lockout switch. When it acts up every switch, including the mirror control, is dead.

Any replacement switches would be the new switch. The downfall is then you need to get it programmed.
Wonderful. What is required to get it programmed? Tech 2? Virgin sacrifice?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yup. If you can find a used one, no programming required.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Be hard pressed to find a used one that's the current recall iteration. Seeing that you lose every single control on the unit I'd almost say the switch isn't the issue. But, it is a "module" with its own little brain so still possible.

Blackstar

Aug 2, 2014
Hey Jim. I realize the buttons are less on the passenger side but if you swapped them over the individual plug for the drivers window should still plug into the passenger side switch. and vice/versa. If it's a switch problem the passenger module would then open your driver's window and the driver's switch would not work on the passenger side. Then you have a wiring harness problem. Just a matter of elimination.

The passenger side has lock and window only. Drivers has 4 windows, door locks and window lockout switch. When it acts up every switch, including the mirror control, is dead.

WHY

Dec 4, 2011
The switch and the module are together. So get one out of a wrecking yard. take the whole assembly . Remove the combined modules and replace on yours. Or what I did buy a couple ,then you have a spare too.

JimInRadfordVA

Original poster
Feb 29, 2016
Radford, VA
I’ll check with my local boneyard. Thanks.

JimInRadfordVA

Original poster
Feb 29, 2016
Radford, VA
Update: After one round of beating the switch at a McDonald's drive-thru, the switch started working again with no problems. I noticed that it looks like the switch itself has tilted down in the mounting plate such that there is pressure being placed on the right side of the right switches. I haven't had an opportunity to pick up another switch yet, but it's on "the list". It'll have to wait at least another week as my son is getting married tomorrow and I'll be a little busy. :2thumbsup:

Reactions: Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online

No members online now.