Dont Talk About Your Parents

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
That's a severe under-reaction in my eyes. I would have done the same, AND called the cell phone company to nuke her phone as well.

Our daughter got into the habit of slamming her bedroom door in a huff when she was about 12 or 13. Told her she couldn't continue to do that or else she'd lose the door for a week. She did it again, I removed the door, and she learned the value of having clear consequences. At age 32, she STILL tells that story to friends and says it was one of her most valuable life lessons. We've been friends for her whole life, EXCEPT for a couple of years around that age.

the roadie said:
That's a severe under-reaction in my eyes. I would have done the same, AND called the cell phone company to nuke her phone as well.

Our daughter got into the habit of slamming her bedroom door in a huff when she was about 12 or 13. Told her she couldn't continue to do that or else she'd lose the door for a week. She did it again, I removed the door, and she learned the value of having clear consequences. At age 32, she STILL tells that story to friends and says it was one of her most valuable life lessons. We've been friends for her whole life, EXCEPT for a couple of years around that age.

My 12 year old daughter has no door to her room as we speak. It is in the garage. I told her the same thing, you slam the door again and you wont have a door to slam. Needless to say she slammed the door. We don't allow her to have anything on the opening of the room either.

Glad to see that there are other parents out there on the same page as I am.

Steve
Resident AMSOIL Independent Dealer

mapanch

Dec 2, 2011
Me and my sister slammed the doors when we were younger. We got to open and close the door 200-300 times so we could "learn to properly close the door." Then our bedroom doors were removed for several weeks. If I ever would have talked (wrote about) to my parents like that, my dad shooting my computer would be the least of my problems. I'd probably be safer in prison than I would be in that house ... ...

stormsurge

Jan 29, 2012
My oldest bought her own laptop and pays her own phone bill. I dont here anything like that come from eather of my girls. must have done somthing right. Not sure about shooting a laptop up but im not a gun person anyway.:crazy:

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
Love It. Cool Guy supposedly a lot of people were outraged over this must be toyota drivers:no:

Dec 4, 2011
All people, including teenagers, need to learn there are consequences for actions. :thumbsup:to this parent for providing constructive, logical criticism.

Busterbrown

Dec 4, 2011
My choice would have been a pump action 12 gauge for the Hollywood effect! :thumbsup:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
That's awesome. In these days and times with kids having such an overinflated sense of self importance, it's good to see a parent stepping up and putting their foot down in a big way. Like most of the posters in this thread, I learned early on in life that BS won't fly, or severe consequences would follow.

JRTAHOE

Nov 20, 2011
That was well played. Dumb of the kid to post anything online if the dad is an IT guy and especially if he I going to work on your computer. Checking "remember me" on Facebook is a bitch :rotfl:

Jman423

Administrator
Mar 24, 2014
United States
I don't know what the outrage was about, but I don't see anything wrong here. I certainly wouldn't want to be that kid though (if Facebook did anything for me), because this is probably the end of the world for her. So, he called her out, he destroyed her laptop, he probably punished her in other ways too. Look at the bright side, she'll have plenty of time to clean the house and serve coffee now.

Joking aside, I don't see the negative side of what he did. Not every parent operates on the same values and standards, he did what he needed to do to get his point across... and I bet it worked. Now, if she gets a job and buys her own laptop and posts about that on Facebook, he'll probably shoot that one too. His house, his rules. I'm sure he changed her password and email so she couldn't log in from somewhere else to delete the video.

Messing with an IT guy is like messing with a person that serves your food :nono:

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Wow!! I mean some kids these days have it really easy! Now I am young myself but I would never do such a thing and talk about my parents like that on FB! I mean seriously? My parents do spoil me also BUT to a degree!!! I do not go on FB complaining because I did not get something or that I had to help my parents!! Helping my parents is high priority to me! They are the reason I am here and couldn't be more thankful for them to have raised me right to stay out of trouble and be the person I am today!

I do not know the history of this father and his daughter but to see him so upset shows how far she went and how much she has done in the past! I really hope his daughter learns a lesson!! He seems to be a caring father which is good!!

Fire06

Dec 18, 2011
The question is who runs the house. The kids which is a big problem or the parents which is the way it should be.

BO TIE SS

Nov 18, 2011
Anyone who thinks that the father overreacted has obviously never raised a teenager. :twocents:

Busterbrown said:
My choice would have been a pump action 12 gauge for the Hollywood effect! :thumbsup:
:iagree:

DJones

Jan 21, 2012
St. Petersburg, Florida
:goodpost: My cousin is unfortunately raising a bunch of brats. Their father doesn't like crying kids, and "NO" causes crying kids; therefore no such thing as "NO". My parents taught me well.

JRTAHOE

Nov 20, 2011
I'm 21 going on 22 and I wouldn't full this shit. I'm definitely grateful for all my parents have done. I'm first gen born in this country and I know what my parents had to do and how hard they bust their ass to give us the best life they can and they are doing an awesome job.

I think the problem is a generational thing. My sister who is 16 is such an ungrateful little shit. She has a sense of entitlement and it's annoying as hell. I cant wait until she see's what the real world is like.

Not sure if you guys have know of Christopher Titus, but in his last comedy special he did, he git on this issue with this "new era" parenting and kids today.

3:35
[video=youtube_share;A3yj9rGKG9I]http://youtu.be/A3yj9rGKG9I[/video]

Start this at about 5:50
[video=youtube_share;fm8XoXcGlOc]http://youtu.be/fm8XoXcGlOc[/video]

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
I have a new hero!!! :thumbsup:

bigytwotone

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Dawson creek BC Canada
ok well im only 19 and at first i disagreed with this but the more i let it sit i understand your response and have to agree he did the right thing and the 12 gauge sounds nice heheheh

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Shoulda blown up the computer with some of those cool explosive 12 gauge shells.

hrddrv

Dec 4, 2011
As an IT parent myself I probably would have done that plus some. Like sending an email to all her friends saying please make sure this gets sent to everyone. I might also take everything out of her room, take the door off, and leave a note saying you want me to pay you well all the stuff I bought you and paid for has been given to a homeless shelter to help with someone who really needs it. Now your room is in the barn so go to the barn and make your bed. I expect you to keep it clean so that you do not smell that bad. signed your father.

YOUNG

Dec 4, 2011
ItsOnVoy said:
Wow!! I mean some kids these days have it really easy! Now I am young myself but I would never do such a thing and talk about my parents like that on FB! I mean seriously? My parents do spoil me also BUT to a degree!!! I do not go on FB complaining because I did not get something or that I had to help my parents!! Helping my parents is high priority to me! They are the reason I am here and couldn't be more thankful for them to have raised me right to stay out of trouble and be the person I am today!

I do not know the history of this father and his daughter but to see him so upset shows how far she went and how much she has done in the past! I really hope his daughter learns a lesson!! He seems to be a caring father which is good!!

i think the girl could have at least blocked her parents from seeing that post.. but it was just dumb to post something like that, she got waht she deserved for speeking about her parents like that.

i also still live at home, do some chores and all that, but i would never disrespect my parents like the girl did.

i agree he shoulda used the 12 gauge! :thumbsup:

Me007gold

Nov 20, 2011
YOUNG said:

i think the girl could have at least blocked her parents from seeing that post.. but it was just dumb to post something like that, she got waht she deserved for speeking about her parents like that.

i also still live at home, do some chores and all that, but i would never disrespect my parents like the girl did.

i agree he shoulda used the 12 gauge! :thumbsup:

I think she did have her parents blocked. But when your dad is working on your computer, it's stupid to leave everything logged in.

Fire06

Dec 18, 2011
I think clay birds with the shot gun but the clay bird would be the computer. Computer flying through the air and then explodes to pieces. That would be cool to watch:thumbsup:

rmsg0040

Dec 10, 2011
did he overreact no, other people over reacting yes.

I remember when I was a kid, my dad got pissed at me and headed upstairs, I said flip, he thought I said F*ck, he came down and gave me the belt. Made me a better person though.

YOUNG

Dec 4, 2011
Me007gold said:
I think she did have her parents blocked. But when your dad is working on your computer, it's stupid to leave everything logged in.

yeah thats a vaild point, never know her parents may have gotten a copy of the post from one of there brothers or sisters, ive had that happen to me...

rmsg0040 said:
did he overreact no, other people over reacting yes.

I remember when I was a kid, my dad got pissed at me and headed upstairs, I said flip, he thought I said F*ck, he came down and gave me the belt. Made me a better person though.

my mom used to make me grab my ankles with my pants down, and then she would take the belt to me, good parenting untill i was about 12 and bigger than she was..
but she always tells me no matter how big i get she'll still bring me down to her level and whoop my ass :lipsrsealed:

wootown22

Dec 4, 2011
I would say he is not over reacting at all. She will remember this forever. Sent a message to her friends too, since they usually share the same attitudes. 15-17 is the hardest age; they think they are such hot sh*t and invincible. I see it with my bosses daughter and friends of my brother, the generation is filled with tyrants..... I wish I could have at them....

GregT

Jan 12, 2012
I can relate to this but my step son is only 10. He acts very badly Hes very hard to control seams like everything you try he always ends up winning not that he docent get punished he does. He never learns his lesson. I don't know how to get threw to him. You punish him he calls you a jerk and you hate him and is going to run away maybe if he was older I woulnt mind since he 10 I wont even play that. My house can get so loud at times you want to run out of there your self. Dogs barking boy crying little brat yelling and my wife telling me to be more patient with him :argue: Hes on meds and half the time when hes at his dads his biological dad he docent take them. He acts much like his father very sad to see him follow his path. This guy is 33 and living at home since he cant hold down a job. Oh and no girlfriend go figure huh. Yet everyone else is wrong and at fault not him. My step son does this as well every thing to him is stupid or a cheater. Oh how much fun it is. I know one thing when Hes old enough hes out of here. That's my two cents on that issue

rmsg0040

Dec 10, 2011
All this talk reminded me of russel peters show, where his dad dared him to call 911. Its gonna take 3 minutes for them to come, in that time somebody is gonna get a hurt.:smile:

Dec 4, 2011
wootown22 said:
I would say he is not over reacting at all. She will remember this forever. Sent a message to her friends too, since they usually share the same attitudes. 15-17 is the hardest age; they think they are such hot sh*t and invincible. I see it with my bosses daughter and friends of my brother, the generation is filled with tyrants..... I wish I could have at them....

Not sure I agree with 15-17 :no: more like 5-25 in my opinion. Obviously I'm well over 21. LOL :rotfl:

suburbs

Jan 6, 2012
Daddy issues, the gift that keeps on giving. She is going to be a popular girl in the freshman dorm.

The kind of woman I hate to see at the bar, trying so hard to get attention she is making a clown of herself.

She will hate him for it for 10 years, then in hindsight will appreciate him and marry a man just like Daddy.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Honestly the father is doing the right thing by having her learn a lesson but if the father starts to push it too far he can loose his daughter due to her harming herself, or her running away! A teen can only take soo much from a parent till they get pushed over the edge!

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
ItsOnVoy said:
..if the father starts to push it too far he can loose his daughter due to her harming herself, or her running away! A teen can only take soo much from a parent till they get pushed over the edge!
Believe me, it's a constant tightrope for parents that's not easy to navigate. An intelligent kid can figure out ways to run away, so the "tough love" approach needs to be tempered with your knowledge that she's safer in your house than on the street or with friends. You have to see that boundary and back off sometimes even if the kid ends up thinking they're "getting away" with something. They're really not, but you have to make them think they are. But they're so much smarter than you that they know they have the upper hand. They have no idea they're being manipulated for their own good in the long run. When they're 25 or 30, they figure it out and come back and thank you for it. Priceless.

Wyle

Dec 4, 2011
Some friends shared this on Facebook, but I didn't bother to watch it then. I ignored the thread here for a while and then saw it wasn't about GMTN members and their parents, so I finally watched the video. No, she doesn't owe him for the 8 rounds. That part was his decision. :raspberry:

the roadie said:
Steve A said:
My 12 year old daughter has no door to her room as we speak. It is in the garage. I told her the same thing, you slam the door again and you wont have a door to slam.

And here I thought I was the only one who did this. :biggrin:

I think consequences are the foundation of parenting. If ... (you act this disrespectful again), THEN ... (your laptop is mine to do with as I see fit). The child now has the choice. Eventually, they learn to choose wisely.

When my kids misbehaved, they didn't get sent to their rooms. WAY too much fun stuff to do there. Mine got sent to their bathroom. Water to drink, toilet to use - fully self contained. They could clean, brush their teeth over and over, or sit and figure out what went wrong.

My oldest daughter used to throw hissy fits. "You're horrible. When I grow up, I'm NEVER gonna treat my kids like this." Years later I was on my grandkids shit list when they found out where their mother got the idea for the bathroom solitude. :rotfl: I'd get calls from my daughter that started with, "Dad, I hate you!", followed by another episode of learned parenting skills in action.

I was in the store with my youngest when he was 16 or so. Someone else's 6 yr old was throwing a huge temper tantrum about something. My son asked if he ever behaved like that. "Nope." His face lit up thinking he was a true angel, until I added, "you weren't allowed to." He is the one who once commented that I had to provide food and clothing until he was 18. I told him that brussel sprouts are food.

With the younger set of kids (18-25) still living nearby, I'm still expected at their SuperBowl parties, Halloween Fright Night bashes, beer-pong movie nights and still listen to their workplace/school/relationship drama. Something worked. Still a parent.

As for the laptop dad, hopefully this doesn't do irreparable damage to his relationship with his daughter. Ball's in her court to learn or be stubborn. Choose wisely. On a good note, no guy who's heard of Facebook will ever be giving her any trouble.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
the roadie said:
Believe me, it's a constant tightrope for parents that's not easy to navigate. An intelligent kid can figure out ways to run away, so the "tough love" approach needs to be tempered with your knowledge that she's safer in your house than on the street or with friends. You have to see that boundary and back off sometimes even if the kid ends up thinking they're "getting away" with something. They're really not, but you have to make them think they are. But they're so much smarter than you that they know they have the upper hand. They have no idea they're being manipulated for their own good in the long run. When they're 25 or 30, they figure it out and come back and thank you for it. Priceless.

You do have a good point!! I never appreciate how strict my parents where on me when I was younger. Now as I am getting older I actually do appreciate what they did and happy they did that just because it made me a better person and kept me out of trouble! My parents always told me that some day I would thank them for what they are doing and I do now!! I think it is just that age your in and high school and the people you hangout around really make a difference in who you are :yes:

Jan 4, 2012
My kids hate it when I call it as it is, and then later on down the road, the kids come to me and tell me what happened and say " I hate when you are right, Mom", the parents are not so out of touch, with the young ones.... as they think we are.... and when I call it, it is usually very right and so true. and in this day and age, most kids don't respect their parents, they have no fear, etc..... there are parents who are really good and do the best they can, then there are parents who don't give a hoot about anything but themselves. Parents give choices and second chances to their kids and they still go ahead with the wrong choice, like what that girl did to her parents, and she was warned that if she did that again, here is what will happen. Then the parent will have to follow through with it. You can also see the how upset the Dad when he read that posting. I would be too if that was my kid saying that about me....

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
For us it was simple, we used to get the ever loving crap beat out of us. Even a single word spoken out against my parents was an immediate beating. When that didn't work we got grounded. Getting your door removed was a common occurence as well. My sister was grounded to her room for an entire year back in the late 80's. She got to go to school then back to her room. She ended up getting let off with 6 months but she actually spent 6 full months in her tiny bed room. Man kids have it easy today.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
As a kid that was abused, had become property of the state, and was living on the streets at the age of 12..

The only thing I would have done diferently was not shoot the laptop. Those things cost money. But also, as mentioned, living on the streets since 12 years old, I learned the value of every penny I had in my possesion, at a very early age..

Past that, I dont think he over reacted. I only wish more parents would, for lack of a better term, grow a set of balls, and raise their kids properly. I also wish the government would quit interferring in the way someone raises their kid. How I raise my kids is inbetween me, my wife, and my god/higher power.

We have been a failing country for years, since around the 50's or so. As soon as we went from a single income home, to being a needed dual income home, our kids have since been raised by nannys, xbox, ps3, internet, etc. And we can all see the morals expressed there.

I have informed my wife, that as soon as she becomes pregnant, one of us is going to be quitting their job. My child is going to be raised, hopefully, the correct way, knowing who the family is, from mother/father, uncles, cousins, aunts, grandparents, great grand parents, etc. None of my kids will live the live of a broke, dysfunctional, screwed up family.

I can only hope that I can live up to my own words.. :confused:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.