Does traction control work when my brake computer fails?

Dadwagon

Original poster
May 21, 2020
West coast
I've repaired the cold solder in my EBCM once on my Rainier. The fix worked for a couple months but the truck is back to throwing the ABS/BCM error lights and turning off my antilock brakes. My question is how does this effect traction control? Would assume that when the system detects an error with my brake control unit, it can't effectively work traction control given it will be locking up the brakes, right? Should I be hitting the TCS OFF button every time I drive until I get the brake computer replaced?

JerryIrons

Dec 20, 2011
From my understanding, the traction control works 2 ways. One by adjusting torque delivered to the rear wheels, and second by using brake pressure back there. The EBCM is capable if disabling the traction control if it detects a malfunction, but if you have a brain that is bad, who knows what will happen right? Might not be a bad idea to disable it.

Did you put a code reader on it that can read ABS codes?

Reactions: Mooseman

Dadwagon

Original poster
May 21, 2020
West coast
I had another thread on here somewhere where we deciphered the ABS codes. I think a Scan2 device would help but that's worth more than my SUV har har

I'm thinking, traction control locking my brakes, even for a short amount of time, isn't going to help me in a low traction situation. The system has only come on for me at very low speeds in the past.

Last edited:

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
It would be best to go to the "Point of Origin" first for Finding, Diagnosing and Fixing any and all ABS Dash Light issues and address the proximity of the ABS A/C Sensor to the Front Hub Reluctor Wheel(s) after the Black Plastic Base of the Sensor gets elevated from Heavy Rusting of the Cast Iron OD to cause this problem to prevail.

THIS is my favorite ABS Diagnostic R&R Video for dealing with this matter:

Reactions: azswiss

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
Traction control only comes on at low speeds. It usually retards power first, and then if still spinning, it will apply braking force to the spinning wheel. It will not lock up a wheel; only slow it down. Traction control will not INCREASE traction; it simply slows a spinning wheel, allowing more power to go to the non-spinning wheel.

You will pretty much need a code reader for this. The investigation can be completely different depending on the codes. For example, if it is "loss of communication" then the first thing is to remove and clean the ground connection to the frame just below the driver's door. But if it's a wheel speed sensor, 90% of the time it needs a new hub.

I use the Blue Driver code reader. Excellent on all platforms, and it is only $120.

Reactions: Mooseman

Dadwagon

Original poster
May 21, 2020
West coast
TJ Baker, you and I did the ABS code read many months ago. Since then the EBCM resolder worked but think I shorted the system when unplugging and replugging my external temperature sensor and the EBCM probably needs to be removed and resoldered again after that incident. But I just survived a Reno/Tahoe trip without traction, ABS, or chains, my good Michelin Defender tires and patience was all that was needed on the iced up side roads...so I'm hesitant to even make changes as long as I'm still truckin.
Also I've got one new hub on the ride side, left one I haven't changed out. The ABS sensor on the left appears in good shape with no rust or debris.

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
think I shorted the system when unplugging and replugging my external temperature sensor a

My external temperature sensor, the one up by the radiator, wires to the HVAC module. So at least in my case I can't see that shorting out anything besides the HVAC control.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvest

Members Online