Does the AC system need to be discharged in the XL? Radiator removal..

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
We have to remove the radiator in order to get to a broken bolt in the engine block(water pump area). And I was wondering if the AC system needs to be discharged on the LWB(XL) model of the Envoy?

Thanks again!

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
I'm not positive, but if you remove the radiator and can rent or barrow an angle drill, you may be able to drill out the bolt without disconnecting the AC condenser. A Dremel tool may also be small enough to get in there.

I know others, either here or the OS, have had that problem, but I don't remember if they needed to discharge the AC. Sorry.

Good luck.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
Voymom said:
We have to remove the radiator in order to get to a broken bolt in the engine block(water pump area). And I was wondering if the AC system needs to be discharged on the LWB(XL) model of the Envoy?

Thanks again!

You will have to look and follow where the AC lines connect but I am pretty sure we have a separate condenser coil in front of the radiator. Not sure how much room that is going to give you. I think the condenser is almost as tall as the radiator.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
CaptainXL said:
You will have to look and follow where the AC lines connect but I am pretty sure we have a separate condenser coil in front of the radiator. Not sure how much room that is going to give you. I think the condenser is almost as tall as the radiator.

We do have a separate condenser.

AtlWrk

Dec 6, 2011
The radiator can be removed without removing the AC condenser:
There are two bolts at the top that hold the condenser to the radiator. The bottom of the condenser is held onto the radiator with a lip. It's hard to explain but it'll be obvious once you get to this point. Tip the radiator towards the engine and gently maneuver the AC condenser up and forward to get it off. Move it as little as possible to avoid damaging the connections. Be careful working around the condenser now as it is no longer supported or protected. The radiator can now be pulled up and out.

This will give you a few more inches but won't give you access from the front. For that you'll need to discharge the system and remove the condenser too.

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
My chilton manual says that models that have rear air conditioning do not need to have ac discharged.....

I have rear AC. So I'm guessing it doesn't need to be discharged regardless if we remove the condenser or not.

Am I wrong?

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
If you need to do it to get to the broken bolts then you really have no choice. Worse case you crack the fittings loose and let it evacuate. It's only a little bit more damage to the ozone layer. :thumbsup: Then you just need to get the system vacuumed down and recharged. I have a vacuum and able to do the recharge if you are able to make the Midwest meet next weekend, it would save you a bunch of money.

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Thankfully we didn't need to remove the radiator. It took hubby all of 5 minutes to get the broken bolt out without any further complications. All it took was a left hand drill bit(Which I suggested over an easy out) a hand drill, punch, and lots of slow turning and patience. Thankfully I can breathe easier..until of course we put the bolts back in to get the new water pump on the truck lol pray for us!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
javier perez

Members Online