Does anyone know the trigger temperatures for the Fan clutch?

zaid3ssaf

Original poster
Jan 1, 2020
Midwest
02 Bravada, stock ECM and stock fan. I remember seeing a chart here somewhere that shows the fan speed% vs the coolant temperature. Although, I don't know if that was for stock or tune.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
These were from my stock tune. :coffee:

1639514724026.png

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I have an 05 4.2 EXT. Not sure about the calibration, if you can tell me where to find that, I can look it up and share it.

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
I have an 05 4.2 EXT. Not sure about the calibration, if you can tell me where to find that, I can look it up and share it.

Reason for my asking is I know they fiddled with the fan control quite a bit trying to get it right. So I imagine your values might be different then some earlier or perhaps later years??
Thought just maybe your tuner software may have mentioned the calibrations. There are like 6 of them in the PCM. The fan control is part of the "system" module. The numbers are accessible from a couple of paths. Mode $09 data is one and we can also grab them using mode $3C, "read data block". Without diving into other apps or having you tap into a serial terminal we can use Torque Pro. This entry as a custom PID will display the calibration number of the "system" module for us.

Screenshot_20211214-203331.png
Screenshot_20211214-202043.png

(Had to do a quick edit as I named the PID wrong at first try!!)

Last edited:

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
Here is mine from Mode $09 using OBD fusion

I also have OBD Fusion. Good app.

I see your listing shows the verification number instead of the calibration number??
Here is what mine shows...

Screenshot_20211215-201017.png

Something odd with both of my 2002 PCMs is that with both of them they have gibberish for the Electronic Throttle Control Calibration number when read from $09 data (the last in the group). The data is good in the Data Blocks as read by mode $3C. I thought it was just my TrailBlazer but then I pulled a PCM from a junkyard truck and it has the same thing.

Last edited:

zaid3ssaf

Original poster
Jan 1, 2020
Midwest
Weird. My report does not have Mode $03. I'll try to generate a report with OBDlink MX instead of my $10 tool

Attachments

• Diagnostic Report 2021-12-15 164925_044940.html.pdf
    98.4 KB · Views: 2

aaserv

Dec 1, 2019
N of Baton Rouge, La.
I dont know anything about Bravadas but I do know the original fan speed settings on the 03/04 Envoys were updated via a software update from the factory due to overheating problems. I think 05 and up have the newer settings.

zaid3ssaf

Original poster
Jan 1, 2020
Midwest
I dont know anything about Bravadas but I do know the original fan speed settings on the 03/04 Envoys were updated via a software update from the factory due to overheating problems. I think 05 and up have the newer settings.
Do you know what the settings are? I am wondering if the desired fan speed can be read through a PID similar to what the Tech2 can.

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
There is a PID for desired fan speed (except for the 2006 model year). Mode 22 PID 163F. Actual fan speed is mode 22 PID 162B. Equation for both is A*16. Often it works better if "01" is appended to the PID. Header is either Auto or 6C10F1.

zaid3ssaf

Original poster
Jan 1, 2020
Midwest
I was able to pull the calibration numbers using OBDlink MX. Here are the data, as you had, one of the calibrations was gibberish.
1639978089440.png

aaserv

Dec 1, 2019
N of Baton Rouge, La.
The settings have been discussed multiple times and a search for this site and google should give you more info than you will want.
A few things I remember off hand.
The speed called for and actual speed will vary due to a host of circumstances.
The speed is calculated through the computer and does not go by coolant temp alone. It tracks coolant, transmission temp and A/C head pressure, etc and comes up with the desired speed. Which is why they had to do a software update to correct the problems. Its not as simple as the coolant temp = so many rpms.
There is always a difference between called for speed and actual speed. The 6cyl having less difference than the V-8s, again for reasons I dont recall..
Its actually a very complicated system that gets even worse with aftermarket fan clutches that rarely can keep up with the constant changes from the computer.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online