Does a used trans install need any relearn/reset?

moneypit

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
While pouring thru various threads I thought I saw a mention of a global reset or something? Then again, maybe I've just lost my mind with this r&r challenge lol!
p.s. I got 3 gal. valvoline Dexron VI & figured to add 1 gal or so then start for a minute or 2 then prolly add another gal then run thru the gears slowly then check or add a qt. or two....sound right? TIA

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
There's an adaptive shift pressure table that should be reset. Takes a high end scanner to access this, of course. Pretty sure very few people do this reset as I never hear it talked about. It will relearn itself over time but it will learn quicker if reset.

As for fluid filling, my practice has been to fill it to full mark with engine off, start it for 10 seconds or so then turn it off and repeat until you get an idea of when it's near full/at the bottom of the stick, then check it running then cycle gears. Kinda finicky but I don't chance running it low or dry.

If it's a used trans that's not been rebuilt it really shouldn't take 4 gallons, that's basically a dry fill amount. Very good to have plenty on hand though.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
There's an adaptive shift pressure table that should be reset.

I've seen this on the Tech 2 but have never done it. I don't know what it would do. I think over time it changes the pressures as the tranny ages but have no idea if it increases or decreases the pressures. I know that when getting a tune and having the shift firmness increased, the pressures are increased permanently however I don't know if a tranny gets harder or softer over time on the adaptive pressures to compensate. I'd leave it alone on a used tranny swap.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
It increases shift pressure as parts age to prevent slip from starting. On my truck I only found a table for the 1-2 shift.

So if the old trans was extremely worn and these adaptive values are high, it could cause harsh shifts on a new/younger/better condition trans. Really calmed my harsh 1-2 down that I encountered after the shift kit install.

Reactions: Mooseman

moneypit

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Thanks guys for all the great info/advice! no plates but I've been test driving it on a 6 mile block around me...1 of the perks living in the burbs lol! I'm not used to driving this beast that really seems to shift "later than sooner" lol

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online