DOD (Displacement On Demand)

johnstonjohnr

Original poster
Dec 29, 2012
Is there a way to tell if my DOD (Displacement On Demand) is working?
I don't notice anything different happening while driving. A few people that I have talked to have said that I would definitely feel it kicking in and out but I don't feel anything and was kind of wondering if it actually working. :undecided: :confused:

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
johnstonjohnr said:
Is there a way to tell if my DOD (Displacement On Demand) is working?
I don't notice anything different happening while driving. A few people that I have talked to have said that I would definitely feel it kicking in and out but I don't feel anything and was kind of wondering if it actually working. :undecided: :confused:

I have heard that it's nearly imperceptible. Also, if it wasn't working you would more than likely get a CEL. Your highway mileage would suffer as well.

Dec 4, 2011
CaptainXL said:
I have heard that it's nearly imperceptible. Also, if it wasn't working you would more than likely get a CEL. Your highway mileage would suffer as well.

I agree if you can tell it's not working. That,s the way it supposed to be.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
I have this same question. I saw a circuit for an LED indicator to show when you were in 8 or 4 cylinder mode. I may build it just to see when it activates. I can't tell now when it is active, but I'd like to know.

tokahao

Dec 9, 2011
Couldn't really tell, either. However, I notice it's working when I'm coasting and hear a very familiar rattle echoing off a nearby building, concrete divider, etc. This rattle is not noticeable in 3rd or when the accelerator is depressed... only when coasting. Not very helpful if at high speeds on the hwy, but at least I know it's kicking in and out w/in city limits.

http://gmtnation.com/f77/rattle-echoing-center-divide-3308/

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
C-ya said:
I have this same question. I saw a circuit for an LED indicator to show when you were in 8 or 4 cylinder mode. I may build it just to see when it activates. I can't tell now when it is active, but I'd like to know.

IIRC, my friends old 06 Avalanche 5.3 DOD has a light or something to indicate DOD is active. I can never tell when mine is active on the hi way but sometimes after idling at a stop and I go to pull away it feels like it's in DOD mode.

am-radio

Apr 24, 2012
To have a scangauge II and if I put one of the displays to instantaneous fuel consumption I can see the consumption drop, if I go under 100 km/hr, and that never happens since the speed limit is higher than that.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
tokahao said:
Couldn't really tell, either. However, I notice it's working when I'm coasting and hear a very familiar rattle echoing off a nearby building, concrete divider, etc. This rattle is not noticeable in 3rd or when the accelerator is depressed... only when coasting. Not very helpful if at high speeds on the hwy, but at least I know it's kicking in and out w/in city limits.

http://gmtnation.com/f77/rattle-echoing-center-divide-3308/

That's what that is!! I have noticed that while driving (well, coasting) next to curbs or walls.

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
So as you guys know I currently own two 360's with DOD and my first/previous 360 was a v8 as well but an 04 so the year prior to DOD. I can tell you after several years with these trucks and many miles, there is absolutly no hint of when dod is on or off. When I changed from the 2004 to the 2007 the only difference was a slight bit better hwy mpg. All of my 360's have been identically set up with same rear end and A4wd. Having driven silverados, I like the 4cyl mode indicator on the dash and of course the tranny temp guage. On the other hand my neighbor has a Hemy Dodge truck and he says he can tell when his switches. If I didn't know better and you told me there was such a thing as dod and that my trucks have it, I'd call you a liar...it is that unnoticable. I wish you could force it to stay on longer since having driven the Silvarados it is barely ever on even on the highway and so presume it is the same narrow band of functioning for our trucks.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online

No members online now.