dod delete cam recommendation

mark'stb

Original poster
Dec 17, 2011
If you are following my other thread about a failed dod lifter, I need to pick a cam. Before I pull the trigger on a Texas Speed cam, any one have a recommendation. 2006 Tb ext. Looking for something that can use stock lifters, pushrods, springs, and torque converter. Driveabilty is foremost over power. I'm sure the TSP low lift cam fits the bill. What about the 2003-4 SSR cam?

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
I'm unfamiliar with the 2003-2004 SSR Camshaft. But even on the Low Lift Side… it is recommended that you swap in a set of GM Stock LS6 'Beehive' Valve Springs. Anything that approaches .550/.550 Lift will definitely need them. Depending upon your choice of Lobe Separation Angle (LSA) ...the lower that number is… with an average of say 112 LSA ... the more radical the lope and the problem of suffering “Red Light Chugging” and Stalling which certainly will affect how ‘Driver Friendly’ the SUV becomes.

As a Baseline... This “Hot Rod Magazine” Article covers most of the considerations involving 5.3L Engines with a focus on Ed Iskenderian’s “Isky” 70+ Horse Power .500 Lift 5.3L Cam set up for the Stock LM7 that will describe most of what will need to be swapped out and in so as not to wind up bending any push-rods at higher RPM and Engine Torque levels, etc.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/70hp-5-3l-ls-isky-cam-swap/

I still like the TS&P Kits the best of all because you will get the Most for your Money and EVERYTHING you will need WILL be inside of the Kit(s)… short of your decision on getting .080” CR-Moly Push Rods. Their KIts include the Front Cover and Water Pump Gaskets, the GM OEM Harmonic Balancer Bolt with Flanged Facing Sealant, the Famous "BLUE" GM OEM LS6 Valve Springs, and of course… TS&P's excellent choices for either the Stage 2 or the Stage 3 Roller Cam Kits to suit whatever you want to do.

All of the latter choices in Stage 3 WILL demand a change to a Higher Stall Torque Converter if you decide to go this route, as SUV’s “Daily Driver” performance will just be impossible to enjoy without one. This “All About Stall” Article Series is very informative on this particular subject:

https://www.onallcylinders.com/2016...e-setup-relates-torque-converter-stall-speed/

I grew up watching Don Garlits Racing Top Fuel Dragsters using Ed Iskenderian’s High Performance Camshafts in Blown-Injected Chrysler 426 Hemi Engines. This WIKI says it all about these two Men:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_Iskenderian

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I basically used a stock non-DOD 5.3 cam. No muss, no fuss, no new springs or anything else to figure out and was plenty happy with the power. Just a tune to take out DOD, firm up shifts, take out PWM and perk up the engine a bit by taking out torque management (by Lime-Swap). Hell, it was even a used cam with all new lifters and buckets. I did spring for new push rods and rockers though but you could skip those if you wanted. Also got a new timing chain set. I took apart the heads, cleaned up the valves and put on new valve stem seals.

Reactions: mrrsm

mark'stb

Original poster
Dec 17, 2011
After talking this over with my tuner and comparing different cams, I went with a 3 bolt LS3 cam. A little more than stock and a little less than the aftermarket cams. Stock LS3 lifters, pushrods and blue single springs. These are new takeouts I just removed from a crate LS3 that is going into a 05 Corvette track day car.

Reactions: mrrsm and Mooseman

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Sweet Choice, Mark... This is what it will probably sound like once you Button Things Up.

Bravo Brother... Bravo!

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Did it sound like THIS?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher