Do tires have to match?

Ghost

Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
I have Yokohama tires on all four I was curious if I can use a different brand for the front tires but still use the same 245/65/17 tire#?

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Brand doesn't matter really... It's just looks and preference. Some brands wear different than others but the same size tire of any brand will work. This is my thinking at least.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Make sure diameter is the same if 4x4

Reactions: BHAMER

Ghost

Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
HARDTRAILZ said:
Make sure diameter is the same if 4x4
Lol I could totally see someone using p175 in the front and p275 in the back. Yeehaw. Good to know
My front tires just the outside edges have metal showing...not sure why the tires have worn down on the outside edges but I am broke and need tires ASAP.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
You need an alignment or it will likely happen again.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
And be aware that tire sizes printed on the sidewall are only NOMINAL. There is no specification for exactness when you buy different styles or makes of tire. The tire store will also STRENUOUSLY recommend you don't mix manufacturers. I did on a 2WD Civic once when I was out of work and exceedingly frugal with savings, and the dynamic performance was SQUIRRELY!!!!! Turns that included bumps were enough to throw the suspension dynamics way off, which I had to conclude was due to the difference in sidewall stiffness. I was better off with four identical but half-used-up used tires than the mixing I did. And when I got back to work I changed them out with all new and identical Falkens.

Go sell some blood or other bodily fluids in high demand to afford safe tires that your life depends on.

ninety6

Oct 30, 2014
You can likely find used tires of the same brand, model, and tread depth on ebay to match exactly what you have now. I like to keep the same on all 4 corners with a 4x4. Really, i like all 4 to be the same on anything (but thats more of an everything should match attitude, not a safety or wear perspsective).

Check ebay for your particular tire and tread depth. Maybe you'll find some used tires to get you through until you can get a full set. Call around before buying to make sure you can find someone to install them though. A lot of big chains won't install used tires any more... look for mom & pop shops if you have trouble finding an installer....

For example, my mom had tires at about 60% on her SUV, and blew a tire and it couldn't be repaired. I found the same exact tire, matched to the same tread depth as her remaining 3 tires. Didn't cost much, and she still had 4 matching tires with even treadwear.

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
Here's a good tip (I've done it 2, or 3 times). Go to your dealer.......................but, don't pay full price.

Go to the parts department, ask the guy if he has any "take offs" in your size. Take-offs are new tires that the factory shipped on the trucks, the new buyer wanted a different tire and so to close the dealer, the sales department sells, throws in, a set of tires. The original tires are now used tires, maybe only a mile of use, but never the less used tires. I've never paid any more than 1/2 price for these tires.

Reactions: BHAMER

DocBrown

Dec 8, 2011
When I was a lot younger I could hardly afford to buy 2 tires let alone 4. I have mixed brands front/rear several times. Stick with a decent quality tire, and make sure the left/right tires DO match in both brand and size.

Ghost

Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
So shitty. Why does my particular tire have to cost so much $!!!?
I found three matching yokohamas but there first number is 215 insted of 245 so its more narrow but three tires for $100 with 90% tread left. All I would.need to do is buy another fourth tire and bam. But nooooooooooo I have to spend $75 give it take for one tire and I need two. :lol: >_> meh! Monday rAnt. Back to the wood works

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
What tire do you have now? What's your budget? $75 per tire isn't bad.

As Trailz said, if the edges of your tires are wearing faster than the rest then it means your alignment is out of whack and you'll just tear up the new tires also.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
They're not only narrower but also shorter sidewalls, which will throw off you speedo. Check Craigslist for some good used tires. I've had good luck buying used that way (Kijiji in Canada). Sometimes people sell their vehicle and have an extra set of tires. Happens a lot here with winter tires.

Marineguy

Jan 2, 2015
As a general rule, with four wheel drive, the circumference should be within a half-inch. When I was working my way through college in a tire shop, I had an old guy come in with a brand new set of 235/75R15s on the front of his S10 blazer. The rear still had the correct 235/70R15s on it. He put it in 4wd during a snowstorm and it wouldn't come out. We put the right tires on (just the pair, and as soon as we backed it out of the stall it slipped back into 2wd. Bummer he just spent well over a hundred bucks on two tires which were now worthless to him (and too used to take back).
There is some tolerance there, I mean as a typical truck tire wears from 16/32s down to 2/32s, you lose a whole inch of diameter.
If you have different treads on the same axle with an open differential, one of them will be more effective. That tire will hold traction and the lesser tire will spin in many situations where with two of the same (lesser) tires would have held traction. As long as you've got the same tires on the same axle, and they're all listed as the same size, you're fine.

If you're going to go with a tire size other than stock, there are several things you can do:
1) download the tire data sheet for both your stock tire and the new tire, and compare things like revolutions per mile, overall diameter, section width, weight, etc. to estimate the differene.
2) use the whacky system of tire sizing to your advantage, either by doing the math, or going up one aspect and down another. For example:
The math: 245/70R16 means the tire is 245mm wide, sidewall is 70 percent of the tread width, and the rim is 16" diameter. To determine the overall diameter, multiply 245x0.7 to determine the sidewall height in mm. Divide that number by 25.4 to convert to inches, multiply it by 2 (because you have an upper and lower sidewall) then add 16 for the rim.
The system: If you want to go up or down in width but stay with the same diameter, starting with a 245/70R16, some options would include wider to a 255/65R16, 265/60R16, or more narrow to a 235/75R16, or 225/80R16. See the pattern? Of course not all sizes actually exist. If you change rim sizes, and want to keep the same basic tire size, you'd drop two sizes in the aspect ratio after going up one in the rim: going from a 245/70R16 to a 245/60R17.

May 5, 2014
As others have stated - Yes!

Also be aware that you can buy a Yokohama P245-60X17 and a BF Goodrich P245-60X17 and one tire can be taller than the other.

By the same token you can by two tires from the same manufacturer that are both P245-60X17 but are different, such as Goodyear Tracker and a Goodyear Wrangler.
While they are both listed as the same size in actuality one could be larger than the other.

Not only can different size tires mess with the drive system but also with other systems such as the ABS.

Reactions: Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
06_4.2_4x4_ls

Members Online