Do the light sensors go bad?

littleblazer

Original poster
Jul 6, 2014
Just curious. I was driving the truck yesterday on the highway. Like 10:30 am really bright and sunny and all of a sudden the dash dimmed and stayed that way for a minute or two then went back to normal. I was in the shade briefly on an on ramp but it was just tree shade, not normally enough to trip it and even still it was back in light for a substantial amount of time before it went out again. Just wondering if that's the issue or if I have something else going on.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I haven't heard of these failing before. Maybe it's dirty, making it more sensitive to darkness? (or not sensitive enough to light)

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
It is a semiconductor, so it could happen in theory. Mine in my truck will keep my headlights on in the morning a lot longer than I would expect. Seems it bases it off of shadows and ambient light. On a bright sunny morning at 7:30 the headlights will still stay on because there is a shadow from the wiper arm across part of the sensor. I wouldn't think it would be enough of a shadow, but until the sensor is in full sun for a bit it won't turn the lights off. Now if it is a somewhat overcast morning so it is still daylight but no harsh shadows, the headlights will turn off. Go figure.

vipergg

Dec 7, 2011
It is a semiconductor, so it could happen in theory. Mine in my truck will keep my headlights on in the morning a lot longer than I would expect. Seems it bases it off of shadows and ambient light. On a bright sunny morning at 7:30 the headlights will still stay on because there is a shadow from the wiper arm across part of the sensor. I wouldn't think it would be enough of a shadow, but until the sensor is in full sun for a bit it won't turn the lights off. Now if it is a somewhat overcast morning so it is still daylight but no harsh shadows, the headlights will turn off. Go figure.
Mine is the same way , it keeps the dash lights on the dimmer control a lot longer than you would think on bright sunny day .

littleblazer

Original poster
Jul 6, 2014
I haven't noticed it happen again. I have noticed it seems slower than the Sierra but nothing crazy.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.