Do I really need a second battery??

chatterx

Original poster
Mar 13, 2014
Hey guys. I have a question regarding having a second battery. I currently run a second battery. I just hooked all my stereo stuff back up after a 6 month hiatus of the vehicle being out of service and getting all the second skin installed.

Unfortunately the battery for my audio is dead at the moment and I am having it charged overnight. If this battery is shot I was pondering just running straight off my factory battery. I hardly ever listen to my stereo with the engine off. I am using a stock alternator though.

Here are my two amps. Its looking like I would be pulling 240 - 260 amps max?? Am I wrong?
http://www.adcaraudio.com/store/standard-amplifiers/ad-s1200
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-96CUhlIyMS0/p_108R7541A/Infinity-Reference-7541a.html

I do have a stinger relay separating the two batteries. Running straight to my battery to amps wont be that big of an issue. Just bypass the stinger and second battery with the extra length I allowed on the initial install for such an occurrence. The only reason I added another battery is when I had my car the lights would dim. I just transferred this system over when I got the trailblazer.

So the main question I guess is. Should I upgrade my alternator? Where? What size? Is the better option to keep the second battery? maybe a combo of both?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Not an electrical guru, but it sure seems some on here should know, so....

bump this for ya

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
I'm no guru either but I have seen a thread on here about a bigger alternator...

Most guys I know with big amp/stereo setups run a 2nd batt and a big alternator..

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I would think that a 2nd battery would call for one of those 'super high output' (250A -?) alternators, as the stock 160A (?) would quickly be overtaxed charging two batteries on a near-constant basis.

And then, of course, there are the guys running TWO alternators...I've seen that pic / post somewhere recently (here -?)

chatterx

Original poster
Mar 13, 2014
no thats for the 4.2 I6 which I got. If he has that in a couple of weeks Im getting that

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.