Do I need to pull the A/C fuse with a A/C-delete belt?

Dadwagon

Original poster
May 21, 2020
West coast
My HVAC clutch bearing failed and was smelling like burning metal! I successfully installed a A/C delete belt, it's working as normal with no more squealing or burning smell. But I didn't pull any fuses: Do I need to pull the A/C #44 fuse? What could go wrong with the HVAC system still powered but without the belt spinning it?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Not much really. The clutch will engage and nothing will happen. You could pull the A/C fuse or relay just to eliminate that load.

Reactions: mrrsm

Dadwagon

Original poster
May 21, 2020
West coast
Right on, Thank you Mooseman!
BTW my wife now HATES this SUV and wants me to get rid of it for a new car. Little does she know how expensive and hard to get new cars are....or used cars.... I'm at 162k and still probably going to get to 200k before we can find a replacement. :wink:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Hang on to it. Crazy times have brought on crazy prices on both new and used vehicles. If she thinks she hates this truck, wait until she sees the payments on another one. Fixing the A/C on this one will be much cheaper!

Reactions: Redbeard

Dadwagon

Original poster
May 21, 2020
West coast
Appears I’m leaving the fold soon, we bought a Outback yesterday. Feels like the Gmt360 but lower to the ground and more usable room inside. One last road trip to SoCal with the Buick this week and time to sell it. Would work really well for someone who tows or needs a people mover on the cheap. But when the hot weather hits I would be in bad shape with a 45 minute commute with a kid roasting in back.

• Sad
Reactions: Matt and Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Nothing says you have to leave. We have several former-GMT owners that are still sticking around.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I think the bearing was 9$ when I had to replace mine. That was almost 140k ago now. About an hour worth of work.

Reactions: xavierny25

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Nothing says you have to leave. We have several former-GMT owners that are still sticking around.

Yeah, I'm still here and I got into a Kia Sportage in October.

Reactions: xavierny25

Dadwagon

Original poster
May 21, 2020
West coast
We did our final road trip from San Francisco area to Los Angeles and back. The 78 degrees average in LA took me by surprise! Other than that it was another smooth trip, despite a bit of back and forth between family members getting grumpy. Probably the most comfortable car seat I have ever been in is this Buick. By far the most I have worked on a car was this vehicle, out on the street near my house, cursing and banging my phone trying to get bolt torque specs in spotty coverage area. Learned how to drop a gas tank and replace a fuel pump, how to remove an intake manifold, how to replace a thermostat/fan clutch/alternator/bump stops/various electrical, and how to drill out a DIY cabin air filter. I really do not want to sell the truck but I'm going to post it up in the For Sale section soon and try to get it to someone who wants the great condition seats and perfect tan perforated leather door inserts. Sigh. Flip side is the Subaru should get double the gas mileage and won't need chains in snow, but the motor during break-in has been gutless compared to the 4.2. 19 years later and that engine is still a small masterpiece.

c good

Dec 8, 2011
We did our final road trip from San Francisco area to Los Angeles and back. The 78 degrees average in LA took me by surprise! Other than that it was another smooth trip, despite a bit of back and forth between family members getting grumpy. Probably the most comfortable car seat I have ever been in is this Buick. By far the most I have worked on a car was this vehicle, out on the street near my house, cursing and banging my phone trying to get bolt torque specs in spotty coverage area. Learned how to drop a gas tank and replace a fuel pump, how to remove an intake manifold, how to replace a thermostat/fan clutch/alternator/bump stops/various electrical, and how to drill out a DIY cabin air filter. I really do not want to sell the truck but I'm going to post it up in the For Sale section soon and try to get it to someone who wants the great condition seats and perfect tan perforated leather door inserts. Sigh. Flip side is the Subaru should get double the gas mileage and won't need chains in snow, but the motor during break-in has been gutless compared to the 4.2. 19 years later and that engine is still a small masterpiece.
I am interested in it. I'm in N. San Diego County. Please send a few photos and some details on it to camerod@msn.com. thx.

Dadwagon

Original poster
May 21, 2020
West coast
c good, I'll send you a private message now. I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area, it's quite a drive back after a plane ride.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online