Do I need to grease hub splines or other parts?

Dadwagon

Original poster
May 21, 2020
West coast
I'm replacing a hub bearing that got noisy. When I pull the old one out, do I need to grease the spline before slipping the new one on? I don't see it mentioned in the How-To/FAQ area on the site. Would guess WD-40 or equivalent is useful in this application? Does the 35mm nut that holds the hub in place need grease?

linneje

Apr 26, 2012
No need to grease the splines. If you want you could put on a little anti-seize, but I have never had a problem freeing the splines from a hub that I am replacing. Freeing the hub from the backing plate, that is a whole different situation. Almost every one I have done has been extremely difficult to remove. So I would put anti-seize on the back mating surface of the hub.

Do not lubricate the axle nut. Torque to spec.

Reactions: Mooseman and Matt

Dadwagon

Original poster
May 21, 2020
West coast
Went to eyeball the old hub before the new one arrives. I have RWD and the spline connects to the front driveshafts in a AWD/4WD, so I don't have to worry about that part ha ha! Also no need to buy the giant 35mm socket. Thank you, linneje have a good day

Dadwagon

Original poster
May 21, 2020
West coast
Repairs made in about an hour and a half at the curb near my house, took a bit extra time because I worked half an hour by flashlight! This car hasn't seen much rust and the dust shield fell off as I was unbolting the old hub. Before the noise got quiet when I turned right, the right hub was the culprit all quiet after the swap. Timken hub used, about $130 all in from the smiley box monopoly. Also tightened the anti rattle clips on the brakes so they are very tight when popped into the caliper, this removed my squeaky brake sounds.

Mektek

May 2, 2017
FL
I had one badly made hub that fit the splines WAY too tight. I didn't have the fancy puller to try so I used a sledgehammer:jawdrop2: Yes, it distorted the threads on the axle Now I have a tougher time removing and installing the nut. But I got the axle out.
Fortunately a few years go by before I have to replace the hub again.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timmerk

Members Online