Do I have limited slip?

coolride

Original poster
Aug 23, 2019
Adirondacks
I'm planning a rear diff oil change soon. Is there a code on the door jam sticker or another easy way to identify a limited slip rear-end? (I'd rather not jack up the rear and spin tires.)

Last edited:

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
I'm planning a rear diff oil change soon. Is there a code on the door jam sticker or another easy way to identify a limited slip rear-end? (I'd rather not jack up the rear and spin tires.)

Theres RPO codes in the glovebox, if you have a G80 you have the locker, if it's G86 you have the limited slip.

Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Only the G86 LS diff needs additive.

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
There is an open diff option, I'm not sure if it had a code. But if your truck doesn't have the G80 or G86 (this was usually on the SS) RPO code then you more then likely have the open diff.

Reactions: Mooseman

coolride

Original poster
Aug 23, 2019
Adirondacks
There is an open diff option, I'm not sure if it had a code. But if your truck doesn't have the G80 or G86 (this was usually on the SS) RPO code then you more then likely have the open diff.

Just checked. I have no G codes. Sorry, yes I do. GU6.

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
GU6 is just the code for the axle ratio, so you have the 3.42's. Since you don't have the G80 or G86, you have the open diff then. Any 75-90 diff fluid would work in that case.

This thread here will tell ya how much fluid you need when you go do the fluid change. :smile:

coolride

Original poster
Aug 23, 2019
Adirondacks
I just crawled out from under the diff. What kind of drive works on the fill plug. It's something between 1/4 and 3/8th.

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
A 3/8" drive works. you may need to get a hammer to give it some "slight" love taps to get it in fully. Mine was full of dirt and other crud, so the love taps were necessary for it to actually go on to loosen the bolt.

coolride

Original poster
Aug 23, 2019
Adirondacks
I mean, you could be right. But 3/8ths looks way to big. I'm thinking it's metric.

I scraped out the socket with a pick and flushed it with wd40.

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Unless it's been replaced with something aftermarket, it should be a 3/8" square drive.

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
Clean out any dirt or crap in there with an awl, then hammer the 3/8 square in. A trick to use if the plug is seized is to tighten it slightly. This will begin to break any corrosion and if you begin to round the plug, you still should have some meat on the bone when you crank it off.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online