Do I Have Bad Links for Sway Bar?

CaptainXL

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
I recently replaced my shocks all around with the Bilstien HD's and they work great. The problem I am having at the moment is that when i go over small or big bumps in the road I feel like the underside of the truck is bottoming out or someone is hitting the underside with a hammer. Is this a sign that my links are worn out? Thanks!

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Are you sure it isn't just that the new shocks are so much firmer than the old worn out shocks?

WHY

Dec 4, 2011
CaptainXL said:
I recently replaced my shocks all around with the Bilstien HD's and they work great. The problem I am having at the moment is that when i go over small or big bumps in the road I feel like the underside of the truck is bottoming out or someone is hitting the underside with a hammer. Is this a sign that my links are worn out? Thanks!

Are you lifted?? If not and the road imperfections ( potholes etc ) are large enough you could be bottoming out going over them. Plus you will notice things more with the better shocks/struts yet the handling will be/feel better

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Worn links usually just make a clunking noise, but worn anti-sway bar mounting bushings can do the same. Do you have a noise only, or a thunk you can feel in your feet?

CaptainXL

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Wooluf1952 said:
Are you sure it isn't just that the new shocks are so much firmer than the old worn out shocks?

That's a good point but I remember feeling that same sensation with the old shocks which was mainly the reason why I changed them. That, and they were the OE ones with 110K on them.

CaptainXL

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
the roadie said:
Worn links usually just make a clunking noise, but worn anti-sway bar mounting bushings can do the same. Do you have a noise only, or a thunk you can feel in your feet?

Let me get back to you on that. Will need to go over a few bumps today and test these ideas. The last I remember it almost felt like something was about to come off.

Wex

Dec 4, 2011
I get the feeling my front links have finally worsened. I am not too concerned about it but have my eyes open for sales. Advance and the Zone on occasion put up nice little additional percentage boost if you buy $100 worth of online stuff. I am waiting it out. Plan to buy a bunch of additional stuff like maybe a spare ignition switch, bushings, wipers all around, etc.

It is probably coincidence but the additional noises became instantly noticeable after a tire rotation. Normally I do 38 psi rear and 35 front. I did not bother to air down the fronts, as a test put everything at 38 psi on all corners. Harsh front ride was instantly noticeable. They just happened to repave my street that week prior and I noticed new popping sounds. I then did a few road tests, nailed a few speed bumps. Lifted the truck and inspected everything. Will just bite the bullet and happy I got 85K+ out of them. I'll just write it off the over pressurized front tires might have had something coincidental to do with it.

tblazerdude

Dec 4, 2011
38 psi is not normally over-pressurized... I run my fronts at 40 psi and my rear at 37.5 psi. It does however, ride much more like a truck, but I like the handling response and its good for gas mileage.

MacMan

Mar 3, 2012
With your vehicle about 6 yrs old, the clunking could be either of the 2 mentioned above (end links or bushings), but I'm putting my bet on the sway bar end links.

But while you're checking them out, grab the sway bar near both bushings and give them a good push up ....if you see play, then I'd change them out too. Get some of the urethane bushings....they will help the handling somewhat too.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zee0719