Do I have a Bad Bad Fan Clutch?

CaptainXL

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
I just wanted to confirm with the members here that a bad fan clutch makes a ticking sound like a stuck lifter? Also my engine under the hood at idle seems louder than normal from some of the videos I have seen.

Can you please look at the video I made and let me know if this seems excessively loud? If you can catch it there is a clicking/ticking noise every so often. The noise isn't constant. But it does seem more constant after running it out on the highway a bit and then listening while parked.

[video=youtube;qqnFIW7chNE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqnFIW7chNE[/video]

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Disconnect the fan clutch harness to confirm.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Check to see if there is any axial play. Grabbing the top of the fan, try to push back and forth. If there is play, the bearings are shot and on their way out. Mine was like that before I went to efans. Was pulling more air than it should and noisy. Not ticking but a raspy grinding kind of noise from the bearings in the clutch.

essaycho348

Mar 7, 2012
thats how mine is, but for some reason mine won't stay on or turn on when its hot out. i just ordered a non electrical, mechanical clutch setup, we'll see how that works out...

But Yea ticking every once in a while thats the exact symptoms of mine.

SAR85

Jan 31, 2012
I think if you do some searching on the OS you will find that some fan clutch touching does not mean the clutch is bad, rather it's the result of the programming of the PCM. I think this was for earlier mode years , however.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.