Do envoy headlights fit the Isuzu Ascender

LtZvesda

Original poster
Sep 14, 2020
USA
Recently became the owner of an 05 ascender with the 4.2 but cant seem to find anything online if certain parts fit

I need some new suspension parts like tie rod ends wheel bearings and shocks and need new headlight and tailight assemblies, If anyone knows if those would fit it would help me a ton

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Everything from a GMC Envoy will cross over. There is one caveat to that thou, everything for the rear axle needs to come from the same body style, short wheel to short wheel base. Long wheel base will work on either, but will require a bit of work, so I would suggest long wheel to long wheel.

I know there is something about the rear tail lights, but I do not know what it is. So I am not sure if they cross over.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
The tail lights will physically fit but, since Envoy BU lights are in the bumper and yours are in the tail light you would have to modify the wiring which is not a big deal but, you will lose BU lights if that's important. Actually the rage was to put Ascender tails on Envoys,I did it on the Envoy that I had. The Ascender lights are prettier than the Envoy units.

LtZvesda

Original poster
Sep 14, 2020
USA
The tail lights will physically fit but, since Envoy BU lights are in the bumper and yours are in the tail light you would have to modify the wiring which is not a big deal but, you will lose BU lights if that's important. Actually the rage was to put Ascender tails on Envoys,I did it on the Envoy that I had. The Ascender lights are prettier than the Envoy units.

Thank you very much, Thats a shame, my reverse bulbs went out recently but they are kinda foggy anyways i figured i would just replace the whole assembly but guess the bulbs will have to do

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
you will lose BU lights if that's important.

Might be important to those behind him... :dielaugh:

On a more serious note... if he lives in a state that requires safety inspections... he'd be in a fix. But it sounds like he's going to abandon the taillight housing swap, anyway.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Everything from a GMC Envoy will cross over. There is one caveat to that thou, everything for the rear axle needs to come from the same body style, short wheel to short wheel base. Long wheel base will work on either, but will require a bit of work, so I would suggest long wheel to long wheel.

Extra work? I put a rear axle from an EXT in my SWB Trailblazer with zero extra. Unless I missed something... but it worked!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If the tails are foggy, they can be polished like headlights. And I agree, the Ascender tails are nicer.

Everything mechanical from the Envoy or TrailBlazer will work in the Ascender.

cornchip

Jan 6, 2013
If the tails are foggy, they can be polished like headlights. And I agree, the Ascender tails are nicer.

Everything mechanical from the Envoy or TrailBlazer will work in the Ascender.

Wet sanding and polishing is a fantastic idea. I just did my headlights last Saturday on my '07 LT. It's a shame I didn't take a picture first. No regrets.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Extra work? I put a rear axle from an EXT in my SWB Trailblazer with zero extra. Unless I missed something... but it worked!
I coulda sworn the rear brakes, and parking brakes, were different.. Am I wrong?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Everything swaps including the diff and rear brakes. Front brakes are the only thing different with the bigger version on the EXT however is an easy swap. Both use the same calipers.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Well I stand corrected...

LtZvesda

Original poster
Sep 14, 2020
USA
Thank you everyone for the replies, Little more info on the car, 2005 Ascender with 300k miles, Took it to a mechanic for a really thorough PPI and got an oil analysis done.

PPI came out everything perfect with the exception i need all new tie rods, new shocks front and back, new wheel bearing, new tires, and a engine and transmission mount. Also my tranny fluid is burnt so a new transmission eventually. Going to cost me around 500$ for the parts transmission not included but i feel its worth putting money into as the oil analysis also said the engine is in great condition

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The Isuzus, AFAIK, are fairly rare so I think this is a worthy endeavour.

Post up some pics. Always interesting to see these beasts.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
The Isuzus, AFAIK, are fairly rare so I think this is a worthy endeavour.

Post up some pics. Always interesting to see these beasts.
Off-Topic for a sec.. Before I bought my XUV, I almost bought a Isuzu Ascender Limited V8 (LWB), in pearl white, with cream leather interior. It was at the local Subaru Dealer in St Louis. The ground was slightly wet, and after doing a 180 in the highway intersection, I decided no. It had 4.10's and that was before I knew what I know now. I am still glad I didnt buy it, I dont need 3 rows.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
No since all mechanical parts do. Body parts can be a bit trickier. Some body parts can. A lot don't between LWB and SWB from the rear doors back. We've seen goofy mashups where someone took a TB front end and put it on a Saab 9-7x. Front fenders had square wheel wells while the rears were round. Body lines also didn't match up.

Is there anything specific you're looking for?

Dadwagon

May 21, 2020
West coast
Was just curious. It appears the Buick, Isuzu, and Saab vehicles are more rare to find at a junkyard than TB or Envoys. Guess these didn't sell as well as the GMC/Chevys.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Don't forget Oldsmobile Bravadas which are just as rare, produced only from 2002-2004.

Reactions: Wooluf1952

LtZvesda

Original poster
Sep 14, 2020
USA
Well i need new headlight assemblies for my 05 Ascender and cant figure out if Envoy headlights will fit

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Could not find any cross reference but, the bulb arrangement looks the same and they both use the same mounting bracket. An old post here by @Paul Bell did say that they were the same,perhaps you could PM him.

Ascender
s-l1600 (1).jpg
Envoy
s-l1600 (2).jpg

I can verify that Envoy headlights work perfectly on the Ascender. I have a pair of Envoy headlights that I swap to from time to time. The mounting points and wiring are all the same. The taillights physically fit, but the connectors are wired differently and the Envoy taillights don't have reverse lights. EDIT: Oddly enough, the only picture I have is from when I found my Ascender on google maps almost 10 years ago.20110717.jpeg

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online